Cargo Van 1 pa-pallet, 2 pa-pallet 3pa-pallet four...?

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
That white fiberglass stuff works great, easy to clean and tough. But it's also a little heavy

1/16 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Plastic Panel-63003 - The Home Depot

Alternative?
I have bought this stuff above to “play with”. Very easy to work with, but not sure how dimensionally stable with large swings in ambient temperatures a van might experience.

Pretty light when compared to the fiberglass reinforced stuff, but the FGR stuff is a proven commodity inside usage under many environmental extremes, HD spec states inside use only, but it may actually be the stuff xiggi mentioned seeing in some expediter's vans.

4 ft. x 8 ft. White .090 FRP Wall Board-MFTF12IXA480009600 - The Home Depot

I am trying to listen to you guys re: weight of build out and how it can effect load capacity.

Thus, I am contemplating using: the 1/16” stuff over something like this to get an R value out of it with only an additional ¼” thickness over the FGR stuff which has nearly zero R factor itself. Also carries the benefit of being so easy to work with and glue up this stuff as a backer to the 1/16” plastic. Thinking liquid nails like stuff attaching the plastic to the structural ribs of walls flush with

Owens Corning FOAMULAR 1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-3 Squared Edge Insulating Sheathing-36L - The Home Depot which gives an R value of 3 per ½” thickness.

To push the point farther, using a material such as the stuff that Perioodic, used for his bed to protect mattress from condensation, the heat bridge effect of the structural ribs might be mitigated enough to help with heating and cooling load management.

BTW, it is really great to be able to get to participate in your conversations about what I am attempting to do myself, blindly until now!:JC_ThankYou:

Reactions: Turtle

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Luan must be an American thing, sounds like a Dennys waitress

Found it, at 1 store, like 1" MDF for speakers, hard to find north of the border...learned something new...its like what they make those $20 interior doors out of

No good reputable speaker cabinet builder would ever use mdf
Baltic birch all the way baby !!! Plentiful up in Canada!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Traacker, rolling the interior with foil bubble wrap gives a noticeable difference and is QUICK...getting out on the road making money should be priority, comfort can come later...

Keep the ideas coming everybody, my next time out I'd like to camp at the home Depot and winterize...im officially too old to put up with condensation raining on me while I sleep...foil wrap then Styrofoam insulation board to fill the cavities followed by paneling with something that has a finished surface, I like that plastic stuff Moot probably lighter than fiberglass and strong enough

Folding bunk bolted to the wall, I need full length

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agh, that's a lot of work. Back to the board over the front seats idea:D
Sportsmobile.jpg
My espar heating the cab would probably be best experienced from the cab

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Traacker, rolling the interior with foil bubble wrap gives a noticeable difference and is QUICK...getting out on the road making money should be priority, comfort can come later...

Keep the ideas coming everybody, my next time out I'd like to camp at the home Depot and winterize...im officially too old to put up with condensation raining on me while I sleep...foil wrap then Styrofoam insulation board to fill the cavities followed by paneling with something that has a finished surface, I like that plastic stuff Moot probably lighter than fiberglass and strong enough

Folding bunk bolted to the wall, I need full length

Bubble.wrap by itself directly on the walls has a very low r value. Honestly Imo there's some Merritt I'm outfitting a van comfortably before hitting the road. The more comfortable you are the easier it is to stay out longer, sleep better, work more and thus generate more revenue.

That said I did insulate my van on the road between loads. Once.that was done in took a weekend and with a friend paneled and finished it.

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching

I have been trying out the living on the road idea for a while, actually that is how I first heard of Expediting. I am looking for the adventure aspect of randomly moving around, getting a few bucks doing it, but comfort is very, very important to me. My van purchase and build will be at a snail's pace, if it ain't fun.... why bother? Life is too short!