'06 vans going OOS?

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Just curious if we'll start seeing more and more '05 and '06 vans going out of service as they reach their five-year service lives...or if carriers allow existing units to be grandfathered into continuous service despite their age....

aileron

Expert Expediter
Every company is different, but FedEx will allow a unit already in the fleet to remain as long as it looks good and does not break down a lot. They have to do a visual inspection on the unit every year.

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Every company is different, but FedEx will allow a unit already in the fleet to remain as long as it looks good and does not break down a lot. They have to do a visual inspection on the unit every year.

Figured as much, thanks aileron.

May have to pick up a T1N just to get my feet wet. Heck, even the 118 wb should accommodate two skids.

(Imagine if private prop planes were dropped from service due to age....)

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
a panther driver i talked to 3 yers ago said he was getting 30 mpg with his low roof 118. gotta make sure you get maintenance documents.

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
I've also heard reports of 30mpg, though that's not much help if the vehicle gets denied by the carrier due to its age. :(

greg334

Veteran Expediter
There are exceptions to the rule.

FedEx seems to be a bit anal about things, but some of their stuff is well not too good looking at times. NO biggie.

A lot of carriers don't care, a number of them say that there is an age limit but don't really care. Overall I think it is a point that a carrier shouldn't have a choice if they accept an owner as long as the vehicle looks good and is safe.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
A lot of carriers don't care, a number of them say that there is an age limit but don't really care. Overall I think it is a point that a carrier shouldn't have a choice if they accept an owner as long as the vehicle looks good and is safe.

The owner should have to live up to the same standards as his vehicle...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Speaking of shorts, I've got a lead on ten 2005 shorts (118 wb Sprinters), each with high ceilings, each around 200k miles, each under $10k, each for sale by the original maintainer. If someone wanted to chance getting an older two-skid Sprinter approved by a carrier, this may be a way to go. Or maybe buy a few and you've got an instant Sprinter fleet of your own, getting upwards of 30mpg. At that rate, you can afford motel stays. Maybe hang a hammock or lay a bed across the front seats and you could even call 'em sleepers. I'll take first pick this Thursday and leave the rest for my EO friends. ;)

PM for more info.

Last edited: