National Parks

Riffsimm

New Recruit
Driver
US Army
Anybody ever camp at a national park in a str8 ? What about a sprinter ?
Asking for a friend, who is looking at getting in this field.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Nope, I stay at truckstops. There are people who stays at RV Campgrounds. Some to very few stay during the week. Most stay during the weekends.

I would say a Str8 would be challenging but a Sprinter would be better. There's alot/ton of Sprinters in this field already. I would advise your friend to get into a Str8.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Their best bet is to inquire at some of the parks they are considering to see if commercial vehicles are allowed, particularly if they want to overnight

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Their best bet is to inquire at some of the parks they are considering to see if commercial vehicles are allowed, particularly if they want to overnight
Yep. Federal parks roads are administered differently than the public roads the FMCSA deals with. In most cases the roads are Army Corps of Engineers roads. Even the very definition of a Commercial Vehicle is different within federal lands versus the public roads. If you're passing through a national park in a station wagon, and you are engaged in business, you're a Commercial Vehicle.

Yellowstone, for example, I know limits commercial vehicles to trucks and vans up to one-ton in size, 4 axles max. Tractors and straights are not allowed, even with the required Day or Annual Commercial Permit. Some parks will allow up to two or three axle trucks which are able to transport up to 54,000 pound loads, with a permit (Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado is one). Others won't allow even U-hauls because of the advertising. There might be a national par that allows a tractor trailer to use the roads, but I'm not aware of one.

pelgrn

Expert Expediter
I have been to many National parks in my van with Dot numbers and stickers,never had a problem.I never spent the night at one just the day,the thing to be aware of is lack or phone/qc service.If you go you may wanna go outta service for your visit.

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
US-441 through the Smokey Mountains has "no commercial vehicles" signs. Snuck across at dawn last year, because I like the scenery. But I'd never risk it in a straight. Park cop might not notice my mid-height Transit (at a glance could be an RV), but they'd be all over a truck. Didn't see any cops, fortunately.

Have considered picking up blank magnetic signs to cover carrier logo and DOT #s for times when I'm not loaded and want to pose as a "civilian."

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have considered picking up blank magnetic signs to cover carrier logo and DOT #s for times when I'm not loaded and want to pose as a "civilian."

I’ve been thinking about this as well. Is that legal?