The Trump Card...

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Why do you think that?
Because this looks to much like a political ploy to sway the public.....but its pissing Republicans off to a point that it will hurt the Democrats even more now for midterms....you have Democrats almost dancing in the streets thinking trump is going to be charged with a federal crime.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The President doesn't have to offer any evidence of declassification to anyone. He doesn't answer to anyone on that, since the President is the ultimate authority on what can be declassified, when, and how.
This has come up several times in recent days as the Mar-a-Lago search is discussed in the media. I'm not as willing as you to declare the matter closed. If charges are filed, I think the question will be formally raised in court and be answered there. It's a legitimate question, but not a settled one in my view.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Just to clarify, for federal warrants, the law mandates that a copy of the warrant and a receipt of all items taken during the search be left with the owner of the premises or subject of the search. However, if the warrant and affidavit have been sealed by the judge, as in the case of Mar-a-Lago, you almost certainly don't get a copy. You have to file a motion to unseal and have it granted by the judge to get a copy.

Trump might have a copy, and if it were a home of a Democrat they'd probably have a copy, but considering the the way the FBI has treated Trump since he announced he was running for election, it would be too easy to say, "Well, it's been sealed by the judge, so we can't give you a copy."
It turned out to be otherwise. Full copies were given to and signed for by a Trump attorney on the property before the FBI left around 6pm that evening.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Because this looks to much like a political ploy to sway the public.....but its pissing Republicans off to a point that it will hurt the Democrats even more now for midterms....you have Democrats almost dancing in the streets thinking trump is going to be charged with a federal crime.
You and I have different views of this DOJ investigation. I do not see it as "a political ploy." I see it as a legitimate investigation that was initiated months ago when the National Archives referred the matter to DOJ.

But let's go with your way for a moment. Let's assume it is a political ploy and as such the next time DOJ rises to say anything will be "right before the midterms." Correct me if I am wrong, but you're saying they will do that then as a way to influence the elections in the Democrat's favor.

If you think that through, it wold be a poor ploy. Just a couple days ago, a large number of prominent and grass roots Republicans were calling out loudly, demanding that DOJ release the warrant. Garland shocked and silenced them by doing just that. Now those same Republicans are calling out to have the affidavit released. How would it benefit Democrats and harm Republicans if Garland released the affidavit; exactly as Republicans are asking him to do?

Again, I do not see the investigation as a ploy. But if it is a ploy as you suggest, releasing the affidavit seems to have no advantage for Democrats, or Republicans for that matter.

All this said, the affidavit will not be released until charges are filed, if any are filed. That's just they way it is. If charges are not filed, I understand the affidavit will eventually come into public view, but I do not know exactly how that is triggered. Turtle is good at explaining things like this. Maybe he can jump in.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The warrant lists three crimes. Namely, violations of :
  • 18 U.S.C. §§ 793: Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information, which carries a penalty of up to 10 years in prison.
  • 18 U.S.C. §§ 2071: Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally, which carries a penalty of up to three years in prison and disqualification from holding office (more on this below).
  • 18 U.S.C. §§ 1519: Destruction, alteration, or falsification of records in Federal investigations and bankruptcy, which carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison.
Those three crimes could have and should have applied to Hillary Clinton.

Reactions: danthewolf00

muttly

Veteran Expediter
DOJ filings “speak for themselves”. That’s a good one. Then they immediately leak to their favorite “news”papers.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Hmmm 30 agents to search 3 rooms in 9 hours.
A lot more than 3 rooms were searched. Mar-a-Lago is a big place. To me, the remarkable thing is not a team of 30+ agents, technicians and attorneys were sent in to do the search. The remarkable thing is they were in and out in 9 hours.

Some have suggested an informant on the inside told DOJ in advance where to go and where to look. Without additional information, it is impossible to verify that. But the short time in and out to search such a large place lends credence to the informant idea.

Regarding Mar-a-Lago, the warrant says:

"It is described as a mansion with approximately 58 bedrooms, 33 bathrooms, on a 17-acre estate. The locations to be searched include the "45 Office," all storage rooms, and all other rooms or areas within the premises used or available to be used by FPOTUS and his staff and in which boxes or documents could be stored, including all structures or buildings on the estate."

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Lawyer says they were fully cooperating. Then gap for a couple weeks where they heard nothing and then raid.
Something like that, yes. Notwithstanding the Trump attorney's claims, the DOJ obviously concluded the cooperation was not as the attorney claims. Thus the search. The materials revealed in the property receipt after the search suggest Trump and/or his staff were less than cooperative. The lawyer says one thing. The 20 boxes of material and the itemized list say something else.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If true it will crash and burn the whole plan to charge him and keep him out of running again.
That assumes such a plan is in place and I do not agree there is. But even if there was, it would not crash the whole thing. The classification question is but one of several questions raised by this investigation.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If true it will crash and burn the whole plan to charge him and keep him out of running again.
I think the Mar-a-Lago search and fallout increases the likelihood Trump will run. While I don't think entering the race will protect him or somehow delay DOJ actions against him pursuant to the investigations they have underway, I do think Trump believes him becoming an announced candidate will somehow shield him from or delay DOJ actions against him that would otherwise come.

Granted, a certain amount of Trump mind reading is required to arrive at this view. But that's the view I have.

I also believe that if Trump enters the race, DeSantis will rise to take Trump on and take him out. Regarding the 2024 race, Trump's biggest problem is not DOJ, it's GOV as in Gov. DeSantis.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
DeSantis won’t run if Trump does. Count on that. He should be Trump’s running mate though because I see him as the best choice. He won’t choose a non MAGA as VP.

Reactions: danthewolf00

ATeam

Retired Expediter
DeSantis won’t run if Trump does. Count on that. He should be Trump’s running mate though because I see him as the best choice. He won’t choose a non MAGA as VP.
Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see whose view of the future is more clear.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Wow, Biden is pushing for an indictment of his likely political opponent in the next election, according to sources familiar with the chaos in the WH.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Some have suggested an informant on the inside told DOJ in advance where to go and where to look. Without additional information, it is impossible to verify that. But the short time in and out to search such a large place lends credence to the informant idea.
When I heard about this whole "mole" theory I remembered a news report from several years ago about a law abiding citizen in DC whose home was raided on the pretext of a "tip". The Mar a Lago raid isn't about the size of the estate, it's about the police state that can persecute anyone for any perceived reason and prosecute them for any trivial violation they might find.