26' Box, stay in SC or head to midwest?

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
I live in central South Carolina. I'm starting with a 26'. Not sure if it's a better plan to:

1. catch loads around here, meaning running out of and back to the general area, or
2. catch a load to the midwest and run around there for several days at a time.

I know the midwest is a good area, but not sure about here for LTL loads and rates.

Any insight?

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
Oh, that's new info to me. Thanks for that tidbit. So is that for reset only, or after my daily 10(?) hours of driving.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Both because daycabs have no sleeper you have to prove you got rest out of the truck.
Unless you build a dot regulated sleeper in the box. Requirements are in the dot green and white rules and regulations book on what is needed to build a legal sleeper. Resizer_16428911714750.jpgI built one in my old Kenworth. Best truck ever. Should of never got rid of that truck.

Reactions: MrHopeful

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
Thanks for all the info.
Unless you build a dot regulated sleeper in the box. Requirements are in the dot green and white rules and regulations book on what is needed to build a legal sleeper. I built one in my old Kenworth. Best truck ever. Should of never got rid of that truck.

Thanks for all the info. Will look up these rules, but it won't apply until/unless I buy my own truck.

Why not drive the allotted 11 hours? Why are you renting a truck?
I'm still learning the rules for driving, which is why I put the question mark after the "10" hours of sleep. Renting because I dont have a truck, and the prices are sky high now. Plus, has the added advantage of me not worrying about breakdowns, maintenance, etc.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm still learning the rules for driving, which is why I put the question mark after the "10" hours of sleep. Renting because I dont have a truck, and the prices are sky high now. Plus, has the added advantage of me not worrying about breakdowns, maintenance, etc.
Just this last paragraph tells me you are on the path to bankruptcy.

For starters,
1. Learn the business before worrying about a truck. Go drive for a fleet owner for a while

Reactions: danthewolf00

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
Just this last paragraph tells me you are on the path to bankruptcy.

For starters,
1. Learn the business before worrying about a truck. Go drive for a fleet owner for a while
On the path to bankruptcy due to renting a truck? It seems to be a successful business model for a lot of people. Just like some people buy used cars for cash, others get a loan or lease, and some buy new and keep until the warranty expires. Different strokes for different folks.

I can sign onto a carrier, or I can rent a truck and drive under my friend's MC for a while, and use his access to Sylectus for loads.

I am considering driving for a fleet owner too, but only as an LLC. If I can't be an independent contractor, it's out of the question.

Any input on this? Thanks.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
On the path to bankruptcy due to renting a truck? It seems to be a successful business model for a lot of people. Just like some people buy used cars for cash, others get a loan or lease, and some buy new and keep until the warranty expires. Different strokes for different folks.

I can sign onto a carrier, or I can rent a truck and drive under my friend's MC for a while, and use his access to Sylectus for loads.

I am considering driving for a fleet owner too, but only as an LLC. If I can't be an independent contractor, it's out of the question.

Any input on this? Thanks.
The truck in and of by itself can be over come by someone who knows the expedite industry.

The issue is lack of knowledge on how the business works. Relying on Sylectus isn't going to cut it.

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
The issue is lack of knowledge on how the business works. Relying on Sylectus isn't going to cut it.

Because...?

Not being sarcastic, just really looking for more specifics. Why would be the shortcoming of using Sylectus? Isn't that a pretty good opportunity, since a lot of OOs don't have access to that board?

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
Unless you build a dot regulated sleeper in the box. Requirements are in the dot green and white rules and regulations book on what is needed to build a legal sleeper. View attachment 21152I built one in my old Kenworth. Best truck ever. Should of never got rid of that truck.

It doesn't take up valuable room in there? Do most box truck loads use up the full 26', or less, or much less?

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most otr straight truck boxes are 22' in length. As long as the boxes 102" wide, what difference does it make as to if it is a 22 or 20' inside length? You will still only get the same amount of full sized skids in there. The same goes with a 24' or 26' long box. You'll still get the same amount of skids in those two as well. The real advantage will be the height and e- track placement, and carrying a ton of e-track load bars. That box on my Kenworth was 110" high inside. I could double stack pallets in that box by making a second tier out of e- track load bars that allowed the freight never to touch each other. By doing this, I was able to haul 20 pallets at once in that truck. Not a lot of times, but once in awile. I kills me how so many will buy, or lease a straight truck with a box with small dimensions, a floor that is not forklift rated...and wonder why it doesn't work in the end..

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
So, if I understand correctly, a 20' truck can carry all the same loads as a 26'. The main advantage of the 26' is its dock height, especially (and the height inside its box).

As for the dock height, is that something that simply makes it easier for the driver (like maybe saving loading/unloading time, as you can back up to a dock instead of waiting to the side somewhere)?

Or is that something that brokers/carriers will specifically ask for, and therefore, if you will miss out on loads if you don't have it?

Thanks.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, if I understand correctly, a 20' truck can carry all the same loads as a 26'. The main advantage of the 26' is its dock height, especially (and the height inside its box).

As for the dock height, is that something that simply makes it easier for the driver (like maybe saving loading/unloading time, as you can back up to a dock instead of waiting to the side somewhere)?

Or is that something that brokers/carriers will specifically ask for, and therefore, if you will miss out on loads if you don't have it?

Thanks.
I never mentioned dock height. If you are in a straight truck chances are you are dock high. But there are a few that are not. Most expeditor straight trucks, are dock high. Why would anyone buy one that is not in this industry?

Last edited:
Reactions: danthewolf00

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
The real advantage will be the height and e- track placement...

I read this as dock height, you just meant height of box and etrack placement.

Still, my original question was whether getting a smaller truck, let's say 20-22', will make a significant difference in the availability of loads or the rates, or both, vs a 24-26' truck?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Still, my original question was whether getting a smaller truck, let's say 20-22', will make a significant difference in the availability of loads or the rates, or both, vs a 24-26' truck?
It is not necessarily the size of the box alone. It is more about what you can offer the customer. There are plenty of box trucks and straight trucks on the road that the customer can choose from.
You could find plenty of freight for a 20' box if that was what you had, given you put forth the effort and skills needed. The same applies to a 24' box.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Reactions: MrHopeful

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter

Your going at this under equipped. You need to understand this is expedite not LtL. it is almost always time sensitive and has to be careful loaded and secured.

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.