26' Box, stay in SC or head to midwest?

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
It is not necessarily the size of the box alone. It is more about what you can offer the customer. There are plenty of box trucks and straight trucks on the road that the customer can choose from.
You could find plenty of freight for a 20' box if that was what you had, given you put forth the effort and skills needed. The same applies to a 24' box.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Yes, I understand it's about being a reliable driver first, and ultimately building relationships with brokers who will prefer me. I'm just wondering how small I can go before losing out on loads or $$ (from lower rates).

Rates are similar for 20' and 26'?

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
Your going at this under equipped. You need to understand this is expedite not LtL. it is almost always time sensitive and has to be careful loaded and secured.
I'm trying to follow you here, but exactly what is "underequipped" in my question?

Okay it has to be carefully loaded and secured. I get it. Are you saying driver with a smaller truck can't do that?

By saying it's not ltl, are you pointing out that the load size can be the the same small load for any of these trucks, so it's more about the speed than the size?

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your going at this under equipped. You need to understand this is expedite not LtL. it is almost always time sensitive and has to be careful loaded and secured.
It amazes me how so many try to go into this business so underequipped , as you have stated.. I see so many vans out there that are a 2 skid capacity van, or a 1500, 150, half ton grocery getter...low roof.. why limit your freight and comfort possibilities? Why be uncomfortable and do the duck walk instead of stand up and walk around in a van? A $printer is a great van in terms of comfort, ride, hvac, quietness...but expensive in many ways..what is nice is that those can haul 3 skids and still have room for a side to side bed....even though it is narrow side to side...however, keep in mind, freight doesn't pay any more that I know of, just because you have a large freight capacity van...

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, I understand it's about being a reliable driver first, and ultimately building relationships with brokers who will prefer me. I'm just wondering how small I can go before losing out on loads or $$ (from lower rates).

Rates are similar for 20' and 26'?
Loads do not necessarily pay less because the box is smaller. You have to decide who your customer will be, how much you are willing to haul, and get the appropriate truck for the job.
A sprinter van with the right customer(s) can make more than a tractor trailer
Same is true for all sizes of straight trucks.
Size only matters to certain male egos.

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
Loads do not necessarily pay less because the box is smaller. You have to decide who your customer will be, how much you are willing to haul, and get the appropriate truck for the job.
A sprinter van with the right customer(s) can make more than a tractor trailer
Same is true for all sizes of straight trucks.
Size only matters to certain male egos.

Bit of an overstatement, right? It seems to be the general consensus that van drivers grind all the time for low rates, whereas box trucks can make better $$.

I'd prefer a van, and not have to mess with the DOT physical (as a Type 1 diabetic) or logs, weigh stations. But I hear the same thing about vans from everybody.

As for a truck, how do I decide who my customer will be? Or what are my options?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bit of an overstatement, right? It seems to be the general consensus that van drivers grind all the time for low rates, whereas box trucks can make better $$.

I'd prefer a van, and not have to mess with the DOT physical (as a Type 1 diabetic) or logs, weigh stations. But I hear the same thing about vans from everybody.

As for a truck, how do I decide who my customer will be? Or what are my options?
Not an overstatement at all.

As for deciding on a truck, where will you run?
Length of trips?
Average load weight?
Do you need a liftgate?
2 axles or 3?
Endorsements needed?
Team or solo?
Who are your customers?
Driver or owner operator?
Lease to a carrier or own authority?
Balance comfort and capacity.
Know the difference between a box truck and a straight truck and the benefit of each.
Know the legal pros and cons of each.

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
Not an overstatement at all.

As for deciding on a truck, where will you run?
Length of trips?
Average load weight?
Do you need a liftgate?
2 axles or 3?
Endorsements needed?
Team or solo?
Who are your customers?
Driver or owner operator?
Lease to a carrier or own authority?
Balance comfort and capacity.
Know the difference between a box truck and a straight truck and the benefit of each.
Know the legal pros and cons of each.

I have answers to most of these, but things like avg. load weight and "who are your customers" I guess will be answered after a while of driving.

There could also be more types of answers to the customers question, if you mean that I could look into different industries to find different kinds of customers, rather than just which companies use my service.

What is the difference between a box truck and straight truck? I looked this up, and thought the STs are the 26 footers, but some people use the terms interchangeably.

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
The dot physical is a must for most if not all major expedite companies.....even if in a van.
Yeah, I still think I'd rather drive for myself, but I'd prefer to get the DOT physical anyway, if I was gonna drive a van, as one of the criteria to show brokers that I'm a professionally-minded driver.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have answers to most of these, but things like avg. load weight and "who are your customers" I guess will be answered after a while of driving.

There could also be more types of answers to the customers question, if you mean that I could look into different industries to find different kinds of customers, rather than just which companies use my service.

What is the difference between a box truck and straight truck? I looked this up, and thought the STs are the 26 footers, but some people use the terms interchangeably.
Box trucks are Day cabs with various sized boxes.
Straight trucks are sleeper cabs also with various sized boxes
The former is designed more for local/regional use and brief rentals, while the latter is a true over the road vehicle for professionals.
Deciding what you need will depend on your business model.

Reactions: MrHopeful

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
There are so many options as to what kind of truck and what kind of use. I wish there was a guide for this that set it all out clearly.

I see why vans are so popular. In addition to lower cost and no regs, and able to function as a sleeper, they are versatile and can be used for anything. Seems like an OTR van driver needs a new one after four years or so, due to mileage.

Wish there was a clearer way to make solid $$ that way, for a husband and father of four.

I feel like nightly hotel stays are going to kill my margins on a box truck. But the rates are higher, and just from popular opinion, it seems they have access to more loads.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some unsolicited advice from this old fart.......

For the sake of your children, find another way to earn a living. They need a father at home more than you realize.
That was the best advice given right there. This is an excellent job for a single, divorced person, one that chooses to be alone. But, a father and husband? You may as well start to get them divorce papers in order. A woman needs something to hold other than a phone at night.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Box trucks are Day cabs with various sized boxes.
Straight trucks are sleeper cabs also with various sized boxes
The former is designed more for local/regional use and brief rentals, while the latter is a true over the road vehicle for professionals.
Deciding what you need will depend on your business model.

So what are expeditor trucks than??..lol

Reactions: MrHopeful

MrHopeful

Active Expediter
Researching
I appreciate the advice about the kids. I don't have a lot of options. I homeschooled my kids until just last year. And I sure hope to not be gone lots, but they need food too, and military pension doesn't cover enough.

Maybe I could use a van for local stuff or something and avoid the DOT physical and other issues, but I really need to look into all the options before an educated decision can be made.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So what are expeditor trucks than??..lol
They are straight trucks- sleeper cabs. Many are large custom Sleepers, but a solo can get along just fine in an OEM sleeper cab. Class 8 truck is going to be better suited for OTR, but many still use Class 7 trucks.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
They are straight trucks- sleeper cabs. Many are large custom Sleepers, but a solo can get along just fine in an OEM sleeper cab. Class 8 truck is going to be better suited for OTR, but many still use Class 7 trucks.

Lol...Greg, I was just kidding around. Actually, a box truck was always referred to as a " straight" truck ( because they didn't bend in the middle) since the early 70's, way before any expeditor sleeper equipped straight truck was built. Ask any old school truck driver who drove back than...

Incidentally, I've been successfully expediting since 1989....

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Otr straight truck
Has sleeper separate from box.
Rear landing gear to allow forklift to drive into box.
Gear to secure freight like load bars and straps.
An apu to power your sleeper when down to keep hours on engine down.
Pallet jack
Lift gate

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.