The Trump Card...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The fact is, you will be hard-pressed to look at meaningful data over a long term and make the case the the president or party in power controls any of it.
Back when Trump took credit for low gas prices, even FactCheck.org gave Trump credit for 25% for the world market pricing, way more than previous presidents. He backed off blaming Saudi Arabia for the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in exchange for Saudi Arabia leaving the spigot on to keep supply flowing, he softened Iran sanctions by granting waivers for 8 countries to buy oil from them to keep supply up, he was constantly hounding OPEC to keep supply up and prices down, and his policies encouraged US oil production. And those are just the big ones.

As Patrick DeHaan, head of petroleum analysis for GasBuddy, said that while he frequently echoes the mantra that gas price fluctuations are predominantly due to market forces, not a president’s policies, things are a little different under Trump. “I think this time around, there is a little more to it,” DeHaan said. Trump has an “untraditional means of doing business,” he said, and has been “uncharacteristically involved” in oil-related matters.

Blaming or crediting a president for rising or falling gasoline prices is a regular, bipartisan political ploy. Obviously those arguments have little merit, as a president’s influence doesn’t drive gasoline prices. But Trump was also “uncharacteristically involved” in matters relating to oil, and had, at least marginally, more influence than past presidents.

Incidentally, the oil refineries shutting down in Texas due to cold weather had a 6-day effect on gas prices. Colonial Pipeline's effect was 22 days.

Last edited:
Reactions: muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh ... that's good.

So is it your position that any fluctuations in prices that occur on Biden's watch will not also be "temporary" ?

Just want to get you on the record on that.

Nation opening back up = increased demand + refinery shutdowns due to extreme cold event in Texas and elsewhere = higher prices.

Probably an assortment of other factors involved in all that as well.

Trump personally had no such ability.

To believe otherwise is delusional thinking.
You didn't mention his executive orders that he gave. Keep making excuses. Biden may have a fluctuation in his gas prices but the difference will be his most likely will be well above 3 dollars and beyond. While Trumps hovered around the 2.50 mark or much less.
Trump kept gas prices low even when the economy was booming.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
  • Haha
Reactions: RLENT and Turtle

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Now that the indictment of Trump Organization CFO Weisselberg and the Trump Organization itself has been filed and the Weisselberg and the Trump Organization have been arraigned, we finally know the details that have been only speculated about for a long time.

"Prosecutors in court said the counts include a scheme to defraud, conspiracy, criminal tax fraud, offering a false instrument for filing and falsifying business records." (CNN) Weisselberg and the Trump Organization pleaded not guilty. Donald Trump was not charged. The next date of significance in this case is Sept. 20, when a status hearing will be held.

Prosecutors say their investigation is ongoing. As he has said of every investigation about him while he was president and after, Trump says, "This is not justice, this is politics." As usual, Trump is holding himself out as a victim of politically motivated prosecutors who are using the justice system against him.

When he had them, he used the considerable powers and protections of the presidency to impede this investigation (now known to be a joint effort of the NY AG and Manhattan DA). He impeded it but failed to stop it. Trump's CFO and the Trump Organization have been indicted. That's a big deal in my view. Trump failed to keep the prosecutors at bay. That means he is powerless to stop the ongoing investigation, especially now that he is now out of office.

Trump is not making public arguments about the legal aspects. He is not denying his company and CFO did the deeds they are charged with. For Trump this is about him being the victim of politically motivated prosecutors. I'm a little surprised he keeps using that tactic. It's not working. It did not work in the many times he argued it in previous court cases. It did not work in this case.

It is what it is.

This forum is often given to long conversations about many details, and I am sometimes given to falling into them. In the interests of self-discipline and keeping my head in my business, I'm exiting this forum until Sept 20 or sometime thereafter.

As usual, I thank the participants here for the interesting conversations and entertainment this forum provides.

Be well.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Look who is cheering with pom poms as authorities go after Mickey Mouse stuff.

I dunno if I'd call evading $556,385 in federal taxes, approximately $106,568 in state taxes, and approximately $238,159 in New York City taxes, as well as the $94,902 in federal tax refunds and approximately $38,222 in state tax refunds to which he was not entitled "Mickey Mouse stuff" ...

... or were you referring to the domestic terrorists ?

:tearsofjoy:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
In 1/6 news, Jonathan Davis Laurens was arrested in Duluth, Georgia, yesterday.

Joshua Dillon Hayes was arrested in Roanoake, Virginia today.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It really is Mickey Mouse stuff that the IRS and state and local governments usually just send a bill for and say "Pay it."

Even Mr Fap-Fap Toobin thinks getting a conviction is going to be really difficult. He said that live on CNN. Tossed some cold water on CNN's hardwood.

• Haha

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I dunno if I'd call evading $556,385 in federal taxes, approximately $106,568 in state taxes, and approximately $238,159 in New York City taxes, as well as the $94,902 in federal tax refunds and approximately $38,222 in state tax refunds to which he was not entitled "Mickey Mouse stuff" ...

... or were you referring to the domestic terrorists ?

#peskyfacts

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and muttly

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
It really is Mickey Mouse stuff that the IRS and state and local governments usually just send a bill for and say "Pay it."

Even Mr Fap-Fap Toobin thinks getting a conviction is going to be really difficult. He said that live on CNN. Tossed some cold water on CNN's hardwood.

Leona Helmsley - Wikipedia

Rather ironic .... particularly considering WHO indicted her don't you think ?

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
They need to go after al Sharpton because last I heard he owes at least $5 MILLION in taxes......but hes a Democrat so nothing is going to happen.