How realistic is getting to planet fitness regularly as a straight truck team?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I've been getting into working out and exercising a lot lately as I've been away from trucking for a few years, and I wanna get back to it now things are returning to normal from covid but I want to avoid the sedetary lifestyle as much as I can.

Planet fitness definitely seems like the best bet for a gym and they are usually in big parking lots. Does anyone frequent them as a class B driver? How hard is it to squeeze in a hour to 90 mins while on a load for a workout/quick shower? Any other advice on the matter?

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I drove a sprinter for 11 years 5 of them at load 1 and I found planet fitness to be the easiest to park at as most were in shopping centers.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I drove a sprinter for 11 years 5 of them at load 1 and I found planet fitness to be the easiest to park at as most were in shopping centers.
Do you think a ST would have any trouble? Hopefully a smaller sized one but idk yet. I'm willing to park a bit out of the way and walk if need be.

I first thought about anytime fitness but those seen to be small strip mall locations

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Lol anytime fitness was always in a small parking lot....planet fitness was better and if you do get a membership get the black card.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I had a membership at Planet Fitness up until the covid thing. Had no issue whatsoever parking my straight at any location I stopped at. Some locations I couldn't find space in the front parking lot, but I would park in the back and ask the guys inside if I could park there for a couple of hours.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know someone that takes his tractor trailer to Planet Fitness all the time. So obviously straight trucks and especially Sprinter type vans have no excuse Plan accordingly. As far as enough time, that’s up to you. If you want to go work out, go work out. Unless your driving for someone, then that could be more of a issue. Worse case you have to leave in the middle of a workout. Better then no workout

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Thanks for the replys guys....yeah I think it's $16 a shower at a truck stop? At least it used to be. $22 a month pays for itself with one shower taking the credits out the equation.

I'm looking for an owner to drive for if anyone out there wants to team who wants to treat PF as our truck stop hmu. (Not literally)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I have a bias since my wife Diane and I own and operate an Anytime Fitness gym, but when we were on the road (10 years in D and C units), we found it easy to use Anytime Fitness gyms. We picked that brand over Planet Fitness because Anytime Fitness has so many more locations than Planet.

We got into a routine. If we knew a layover was ahead, or if we were in service waiting for an offer, we'd refuel on the way to the delivery so we usually delivered with full tanks. We'd then had to Walmart to resupply. And then to the nearest Anytime Fitness club (if practical) to layover or wait for freight there. It never once happened where we got run out of an Anytime Fitness parking lot, which makes sense since most AF clubs are in strip malls. A truck parked overnight there will be thought to be serving any number of the merchants there. We'd usually park behind the mall and were always left alone.

Anytime Fitness is more expensive than Planet but the large number of locations offsets the lower cost. Better to have a club available at a higher price than no club available at $20/mo. One thing to note is the 30 day wait for an Anytime Fitness key to begin working in all clubs. After 30 days, the whole system is yours to use (U.S. and Canada).

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I have been going to PF for a few weeks now. Just my local one. I don't have any complaints. Tons of equipment to get a full body workout. The hydro beds feel awesome when my back hurts. Anytime fitness while ateam says has plenty of strip mall spots, I know I have seen some that are in tiny parking lots. But maybe worth it to add on, I'm beginning driving again soon so I'll see how good just PF holds up but keeping AF close in mind.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Question for those who are OTR and use PF.....how often are they actually open 24/7? My club here is only Monday- Thursday and then 5am to 10pm the rest. But I looked at a few random locations online and saw vastly differing hours. Any insight on this? Locations close to interstates usually more likely to be 24/7? Definitely major false advertising by planet fitness to list 24/7 access on their main site but I digress.

And side question, how about anytime fitness? Are those more truly 24/7 access around the country?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Question for those who are OTR and use PF.....how often are they actually open 24/7? My club here is only Monday- Thursday and then 5am to 10pm the rest. But I looked at a few random locations online and saw vastly differing hours. Any insight on this? Locations close to interstates usually more likely to be 24/7? Definitely major false advertising by planet fitness to list 24/7 access on their main site but I digress.

And side question, how about anytime fitness? Are those more truly 24/7 access around the country?
I can't speak for all Planet Fitness locations. I can say the three Planet Fitness clubs in our market area have changed their operating hours surprisingly frequently. Every time they limit their 24/7 access, some of their members call us at Anytime Fitness to join our club. 24 hour access is important to a good number of people. They don't like it when Planet tells them they are a 24/7 facility and they turn out to be only 24/ 5 or less. And they especially don't like it when they went to their gym at 2am last Friday, and 2am the following Thursday, only to find that gym closed at 2am the next day (Friday) with no previous notice.

I don't know Planet well enough to know why this goes on, but I know it does.

Anytime Fitness, on the other hand, is always open 24/7 if you have a properly issued key fob. After 30 days, all AF gyms in the country will be open to you. In the first 30 days, it's just your home club, unless exceptions are made another club's staff.

Your gym access does not depend on our staffing. Whether its during staffed or non-staffed hours, you can use the gym and showers 24/7, including all major holidays. We're 24/7 every day of the year.

The exceptions would be for a fire, hurricane, covid-related government-mandated closure, or other such thing. But beyond that, it's 24/7 every day at Anytime Fitness.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I prefer Anytime fitness because of the more locations they have, in addition to the private showers. I often heard that Planet Fitness has open, non private showers. Because I am a caring concerned kinda guy, I would never want to haunt, maim or terrorize anyone seeing my pillowy fluffy body.

• Haha
Reactions: ATeam