The Trump Card...

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
No. It's not an easy subject. Before Trump became a candidate, these people were ordinary neighbors. Over time they bought into the Trump story and became consumed by it. Their friendships reoriented around pro-Trump/anti-Trump. Their time, their thoughts, their actions became Trump-infused. They are hooked on Trump like a drug.

Yup.

I see that same thing in the people now being arrested. The podium guy with a doctor wife and five young sons sticks in my mind. What got into him so deep that he'd travel from FL to DC to get himself charged with crimes like he did? How could he become so blind to the consequences of his actions that he became willing to choose jail over his family? Five young boys won't have their dad around to teach them baseball. If they want to see him, they'll have to visit with him in prison instead. And for the rest of their lives, everyone who knows them will know their father is "the podium guy" who participated in the failed insurrection.

It boggles the mind.

I'm no expert in this kind of behavior and decision making. I know little about it. But one piece that makes sense to me says Trump fever breaks when great personal pain is suffered as a result of it. I've seen it happen with a Trump-infused Covid denier when his wife died of the disease. Covid was a hoax until the truth killed his wife, who he now dearly misses and wishes he protected, instead of making a political statement by grouping up without masks.

I can't even imagine having to deal with the guilt over that.

We've had a number of friends and relatives infected with it, some much worse than others (multiple admissions to hospital, ICU, etc) ... fortunately all have recovered or are in the process.

It's different for different people. In some, Trump fever will never break. In others, the pain of the election loss is enough to help people shake it off and move on.

And within the group where the fever will never break is a subset who are potentially domestic terrorists.

It's interesting reading the comments of those arrested. Now feeling the pain of their arrest and public exposure, some are begging for forgiveness and proclaiming their Capitol invasion the biggest mistake of their life. Others cling fiercely to their beliefs, such that they see themselves as revolutionaries, literally at war with the rest of the world (including 21,000 heavily armed troops called to defend the Capitol and our democracy's processes).

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Bit by bit, over time, the spell will break for most people so afflicted. They don't get their 20-times-per-day boost from Trump's twitter feed any more. The belief in Trump's power and Trump's truth gets challenged with every election certification, lost court case, failed insurrection, and the coming inauguration of someone else. Some Republicans voted against Trump in the House impeachment vote. Presidential hopefuls within the Republican Party are working behind the scenes to diminish Trump's influence and move him out of the way.

And yet still more are working to hold to account those who enabled him ... by lending credence to the Big Lie:

Every. Single. Last. One. Of. Them.

Trump-fevered people like our neighbors see people around them letting go of Trump as the boat parades decline in number, size or end altogether. They will soon see him, no longer protected by the presidency, defending himself against a number of cases and actions.

Yup.

It won't all be in the courts. One thing will happen almost immediately, for example. Using the power of the presidency, Trump kept the Treasury Department from turning his tax returns over to Congress under an existing law that says that can happen. Under the new administration, a House Committee will make that request again and it will be fulfilled without objection. Trump once had the power to stop that. He will be powerless to stop it in six days. As the myth of Trump, the brilliant strongman who will vanquish his rivals, falls apart, Trump fever will break in many.

One would hope.

For others, it will never break. They will continue to socialize with and feed off their like-minded groups. They will never stop believing in a stolen election. They will defend Trump til the day they die, and in some cases, they will be willing to go to war and give their lives for Donald Trump.

Yup ... go to war ... against their own country ... for what laughably passes for a man.

How far will our neighbors go? Will the fever break such that they can become friendly neighbors again? Or will they become further radicalized and end up going to war? I don't know the answer to that so we (me and other neighbors) keep a comfortable distance so as not to endure the stress of a pro-Trump rant. Their total devotion to Donald Trump has degraded the quality of life in a neighborhood that used to be more relaxed.

Sorry to hear it, hope things improve dramatically very soon.

Stay safe.

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
It will be interesting to see how the siege of Washington goes from now on,,,4 years is a long time for troops and serpentine wire everywhere,,,ok,,its a nice today, enjoying retirement and bike ridding ....good day

dalscott

Expert Expediter
At that time, all he had was talk radio. Now there is Big Tech, most of the "news" organizations and other resistance that were against him. Nothing comparable.

Trump made himself a target with every lie and stupid tweet that he sent.
Look me in the eye and tell me with a straight face that if we had a Democratic President that was so unhinged, lies like Trump does and spreads so much crap that he does that the press wouldn’t be all over it.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Ragman and RLENT

dalscott

Expert Expediter
Look me in the eye and tell me with a straight face that if we had a Democratic President that was so unhinged, lies like Trump does and spreads as much crap as he does that the press wouldn’t be all over it.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Our freedom speech is now a top priority imho. If you express that you would harm someone, you might find yourself at your local jail even if your joking around like many folks do.... so, wear your mask high, blend in, no clothing with anything written on it, shave off that huge beard, wear nice jeans and shoes and look ordinary and smile.............now you will be fine to pursue your dreams.....and I forgot,,,get a haircut or nice new wig...

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our freedom speech is now a top priority imho. If you express that you would harm someone, you might find yourself at your local jail even if your joking around like many folks do....
It has never been OK to talk about harming someone and the "I was joking" defense has always been weak. Do you remember when hijacked planes were very much in the news? Laws were passed. Policies were changed. And it became unwise to even joke about hijacking a plane, especially if you were in an airport or on a plane. There are laws on the books against making terroristic threats. People who make such threats have been prosecuted under those laws for years.

It is not a joke to threaten harm on another. The words themselves are intended to cause another person pain. You don't get to harm another and be exonerated because you claim to be joking.

Reactions: RLENT and skyraider

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It will be interesting to see how the siege of Washington goes from now on,,,4 years is a long time for troops and serpentine wire everywhere,,,ok,,its a nice today, enjoying retirement and bike ridding ....good day
I would call it the defense of government continuity and the defense of democracy. And also the defense of human life as a mob is now prevented from killing Capitol Police, injuring officers, hanging Mike Pence and storming legislative chambers with the intent to kill.

But you are right about the duration of the deployment. Fairly soon, the fences will come down and the National Guard troops will return to their armories and civilian work. At present, they seem to be having their desired effect. At least so far. I've been watching the news for reports of MAGA assemblies, protests, groups in motion, etc. So far, nothing.

When confronted with the forces now on duty and the negative press the militant MAGA people are now receiving (and the arrests and continuing investigations of them and their peers), they may be doing the wise thing and laying low. Looking ahead, I'm remembering the 1960's; a time when we saw militant organizations operating on the down-low. In those days, we saw numerous bombings on soft targets, made by the radicals who supported various causes. We could well be entering a phase of similar disorder now.

While the militants of that day made a lot of news, killed a number of people and damaged some property, American government and democracy continued on. While sporadic terrorist acts went on, people still went to work, school, church and Disney Land. They still bought new cars and took vacations. Those seething with hate did their dastardly deeds while government continued to function and the majority lived normal lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLENT and skyraider

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Look me in the eye and tell me with a straight face that if we had a Democratic President that was so unhinged, lies like Trump does and spreads so much crap that he does that the press wouldn’t be all over it.

Without a doubt the Press wouldn't be all over. Without a doubt.

Reactions: danthewolf00

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
We the people still have a say,,,,dont we?

What does we the people mean in the U.S. Constitution?
“We the People” includes all the citizens of the Untied States of America. The importance of this phrase is shows that it was just the framers of the Constitution of the legislators who were giving powers to the government. Instead, the government gets all of its powers from all of the Citizens of the United States of America. hmmmmmmmmm

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We the people still have a say,,,,dont we?
That depends on what you want to say.
  • There is the classic you cannot yell fire in a crowded theater if there is no fire.
  • Laws exist that prohibit slander and libel.
  • It is illegal to make a terroristic threat.
  • It is illegal to lie to the police.
  • It is illegal to lie to a court of law.
  • It is illegal to lie about the benefits of a product or service.
  • It is illegal to do false advertising.
  • It is illegal to say you will provide something in return for money (I will paint your house) when you do not intend to paint the house.
  • It is illegal to tell a bank a property you are using to secure a loan is worth more than that property is actually worth (bank fraud).
  • It is illegal to tell the government your property is worth less money for tax purposes than the property is truly worth (tax fraud).
  • It is illegal to tell an insurance company your house burned down from an accidental cause when you set the fire yourself (insurance fraud).
  • It is illegal to go on Facebook and say someone is a thief when that person is not a thief (defamation).
  • It is illegal to tell the unemployment office you are eligible to make an unemployment claim when you actually voluntarily quit your job or got fired for cause and are thereby ineligible.
  • It is illegal to make public statements intended to incite a riot.
  • It is illegal to tell a doctor you are in pain when there is no pain and your intent is to obtain prescription opiates.
  • It is illegal to make false statements in your log book (ELD).

This gives you an idea. In fact, there is a very long list of restrictions on speech.

Yes, you have your say, but that right fades the further you get away from the truth.

You have the right to speak. You do not have the right to lie.

Also note that, using its powers derived from the consent of the governed, as codified in law, the government (police and prosecutors) has the right to lie to you but it is illegal for you to lie to them.

Regarding social media, I explained in this post that Twitter, Facebook, etc. are private entities. The only rights you have as a user of those are the rights you agreed to as a condition of using these services. Their sandbox, their rules.

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That depends on what you want to say. There is the classic you cannot yell fire in a crowded theater if there is no fire. Laws exist that prohibit slander and libel. It is illegal to make a terroristic threat. It is illegal to lie to the police. It is illegal to lie to a court of law. It is illegal to lie about the benefits of a product or service. It is illegal to do false advertising. It is illegal to say you will provide something in return for money (I will paint your house) when you do not intend to paint the house. It is illegal to tell a bank a property you are using to secure a loan is worth more than that property is actually worth (bank fraud). It is illegal to tell the government your property is worth less money for tax purposes than the property is truly worth (tax fraud). It is illegal to tell an insurance company your house burned down from an accidental cause when you set the fire yourself (insurance fraud). It is illegal to go on Facebook and say someone is a thief when that person is not a thief (defamation). It is illegal to tell the unemployment office you are eligible to make an unemployment claim when you actually voluntarily quit your job or got fired for cause and are thereby ineligible. It is illegal to make public statements intended to incite a riot. It is illegal to tell a doctor you are in pain when there is no pain and your intent is to obtain prescription opiates. It is illegal to make false statements in your log book (ELD). If you are in a public park where a permitted presentation of some sort is going on, you do not have the right to rise and shout it down (disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct). For example, if I was running a permitted yoga class in a park, a competing studio cannot come in unpermitted with a bullhorn to advertise itself.

This gives you an idea. In fact, there is a long list of restrictions on speech. Yes, you have your say, but that right fades the further you get away from the truth. You have the right to speak. You do not have the right to lie.

Also note that, using its powers derived from the consent of the governed, as codified in law, the government (police and prosecutors) has the right to lie to you but it is illegal for you to lie to them.

Regarding social media, I explained in this post that Twitter, Facebook, etc. are private entities. The only rights you have as a user of those are the rights you agreed to as a condition of using these services. Their sandbox, their rules.
There are too many people in this country it seems who want to express their free speech but do not accept the responsibility that goes along with it.

Much like their 2nd amendment rights......

ATeam

Retired Expediter
"Police leaders are turning in their own to the FBI and taking the striking step of reminding officers in their departments that criminal misconduct could push them off the force and behind bars." (Source)

If the insurrectionists and their sympathizers had the notion that police and military would rise to their cause, they are finding out differently now. Any confidence in the fact that insurrectionist police/military people give the movement an edge because of the professional knowledge and skills they have is misplaced.

I worked in a prison for a few months (staff, not a CO). There were inmates there who used to be prison guards but committed illegal acts and ended up becoming inmates instead. These corrupt people brought to their new inmate peers TOTAL knowledge of how the "bulls" run the prison. They knew their training. They knew exactly where the weapons were. They knew exactly the procedures the bulls use to move and control the inmates. They knew the radio codes. They knew the distress codes staff uses. They knew it all.

But none of that helped them because the system itself works. The powers of the system are effectively applied, even when corrupt people within it are trying to undermine it. As this reality bears down on the insurrectionist cops and soldiers, many will exit the movement. And those who don't will follow in the steps of the ones now being arrested and charged.

Reactions: RLENT

ATeam

Retired Expediter
At the moment, Trump has 94 hours remaining in office. He has been uncharacteristically quiet in the last few days. What do you think he is doing? What do you think he will do between now and noon Jan 20?