New expedite van

sierra98

New Recruit
Driver
Hi there
I'm looking to purchase or lease a new or gently used Sprinter van to be an owner operator. Any advice? Direction? Thank you

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't do it. Not worth your time or money. The markets are too unstable. The freight isn't there to justify a purchase. Save yourself slot of stress and headache.

sierra98

New Recruit
Driver
I would like to have more flexibility with driving schedule hence why I might be interested in going out on my own.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Look at the promaster or Ford transit over a sprinter. With freight the way it is being economical is critical. Upkeep on a sprinter can get very costly. A simple oil change can cost a fortune. Diesel fuel is higher but they get better mileage. At 65 loaded light I can average 18.5-19 highway. At 72 I average 17.5 With a gas vehicle I don’t worry about fuel gelling or clogged fuel filters or injector stiction. Injector pump, egr, pig piss, regen problems turbo failure etc. Find one that you can run at low cost. Promasters are easy to work on mopar parts for the most part are priced fairly good. I can change my oil in the back of a Walmart in 15 minutes. $25 for oil $9 for a filter. And not a drop on the ground and they take the used oil. And it’s easy easy easy. Sprinter can be upwards of $200. The Ford transit is priced between a promaster and a sprinter. The transit you can get a longer cargo area than a promaster. Stay away from the turbo eco boost. Another expense just eyeing your wallet. No one knows how much you need to make to stay alive and be happy but you!!! Revenue is low right now for sure but more people are jumping ship right now as well. So it might be a good time?? Who knows hard to tell. One thing I do know is no one on here and I mean no one has a crystal ball here. Stay low cost be prepared to sit for days be prepared to make 0 revenue then hit the jackpot. It’s year end that tells your story not last week not next week. End of year. Good luck to you I admire your courage.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh and the promaster headlight is a pita to change.
Headlights are easy to change. 6 screws unhook the wire change the bulb. Got pulled over for a blown headlight. Gave the cop all my info he said sit tight I’ll be right back. I was just closing the hood when he walked backup. It was all done.

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
And what do you do?
I'm a former expeditor with 11 years of expedite experience as a driver and owner op. As well as 6 years in semi OTR.....left due to everything crashing down at the beginning of the year.

Not sure why that matters lol....doesn't change the facts. Talk to just about any O/O in expedite, or trucking. They'll tell you the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: kg

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm a former expeditor with 11 years of expedite experience as a driver and owner op. As well as 6 years in semi OTR.....left due to everything crashing down at the beginning of the year.

Not sure why that matters lol....doesn't change the facts. Talk to just about any O/O in expedite, or trucking. They'll tell you the same.
Because a van driver wouldn't know the ins and outs of straight trucks and semis. I probably wouldn't go expedite anymore because the rates have bottomed out while OTR rates fluctuate. Not to mention I can't do all-nighters anymore.

I got out of OTR last year due to medical reasons, but I was constantly moving until then. My friend is having the same luck this year after switching companies. O/Os... I'm sure there are plenty who are making bank who know how to play the game. If I were to get back into refer as an O/O, I'd go produce. I had a good time hauling potatoes from the PNW and cukes from the border. Cali has a great amount of customers for refer work also. Dang I miss it.

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because a van driver wouldn't know the ins and outs of straight trucks and semis. I probably wouldn't go expedite anymore because the rates have bottomed out while OTR rates fluctuate. Not to mention I can't do all-nighters anymore.

I got out of OTR last year due to medical reasons, but I was constantly moving until then. My friend is having the same luck this year after switching companies. O/Os... I'm sure there are plenty who are making bank who know how to play the game. If I were to get back into refer as an O/O, I'd go produce. I had a good time hauling potatoes from the PNW and cukes from the border. Cali has a great amount of customers for refer work also. Dang I miss it.

But we aren't talking about semis or straight trucks. Lol You're right though. I don't know the ins and outs of that side of the business outside of what people I know tell me. Most individuals I know in the trucking industry drive semis. From my time in, I've learned that if rate is garbage for OTR no expedite companies..... It's usually worse for the expedite industry.

I'm sorry to hear about your medical issues, I hope that things are better for you though.

Reactions: Tennesseahawk

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
But we aren't talking about semis or straight trucks. Lol You're right though. I don't know the ins and outs of that side of the business outside of what people I know tell me. Most individuals I know in the trucking industry drive semis. From my time in, I've learned that if rate is garbage for OTR no expedite companies..... It's usually worse for the expedite industry.

I'm sorry to hear about your medical issues, I hope that things are better for you though.
Just shooting the shiznit. No biggie on my med issues, I had some blood clots that are history. I'm fine now, thanx; and am possibly making another go of OTR here shortly.

Good luck to you!