Best Power Inverter and Aux Battery available for Sprinter

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Can't judge a book by its cover MADE IN USA!
The CNBOU inverters are manufactured by Zhejiang Bou New Energy Technology Co., Ltd in Zhejiang, China. I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, as many inverters are manufactured in China.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The CNBOU inverters are manufactured by Zhejiang Bou New Energy Technology Co., Ltd in Zhejiang, China. I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, as many inverters are manufactured in China.

What would be your top 5 picks for 2000-3000 watt Pure Sin Wave inverters $250-$800 range?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Xantrex, Samlex, GoPower, Aims.
I'd go Samlex or GoPower out of those choices (Aims have had warranty repair issues from what I've heard), do you recommend a transfer switch or a inverter/charger? Could you briefly explain the functions if you don't mind. I'll be running a 2200w gas gen like most do in the Summer.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A transfer switch simply let's you change the source charging power from shore to generator or alternator automatically without having to manually make the connections. They're popular in RVs and boats who spend half their time, or frequently change charging sources, between shore and generator power, especially if it's a PITA to get to the connections to manually change them.

An inverter/charger is simply an inverter with a built in charger. It's an inverter when running off batteries, and turns into a charger when you connect shore or generator source power.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I didn't really want to go Xantrex again but I really like this unit here with the GFCI option, can't beat the dimensions/weight for mounting on the partition, I like the idea of going with a inverter/charger so I can use the generator to charge the batteries if I'm sitting for a while or living in the Sprinter. The Amazon reviews don't look to good, a few people have mentioned some bad apple inverters that didn't last long. Would have like to have gone Samlex but they don't really make a inverter charger 2000 watts for less then $1200.

Picture mounted behind Sprinter seat:

Also interested in these models but the design is not as compact/rectangular low profile:

Really nice unit here but no GFCI plug in option:

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Amazon reviews don't look to good, a few people have mentioned some bad apple inverters that didn't last long.
Well, grain of salt, and all that. Of the 10 reviews on Amazon, it looks like one is defective, which can happen with anything, and the other negative review is from someone who is clearly a moron. hen reading bad reviews, read them carefully. Unless the product really is bad, the reviewers will usually give themselves up as idiots. There are people who will give 1-star reviews because they got the wrong color or UPS dropped the package. But read the good review closely, too. Many of those are written by the equally clueless-yet-lucky. But you can usually find reviews from people who know what they're talking about. The reviews to concentrate on there are the two from Onerka and JAMES.

• Haha
Reactions: T270_Dreamin

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes very good point, read the fine print.

Samlex emailed back this morning and suggested this inverter. But after I told them what I would be using it for they recommend 2000 watts plus. Too bad they don't have this model with 1800-2200 watts. Maybe on the next Sprinter build project it will be on the market. As of now I can't find anything else available equivalent to the Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 Inverter/Charger in similar price range.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What are you doing that requires a 2000W inverter? And that requires the battery capacity to handle such a load? Not that it's any of my business, but I'm curious. That's a 166 amp draw. You need big mama batteries for that. :eek:

In the past I've used an Aims 3000 Watt PSW inverter out by the barn, before we ran electricity out there, when using a circular saw. But I don't have anywhere near that kind of need in the van on a regular basis.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Instapot, Blender, Engel Fridge, Small Toaster Oven, Laptop, Jump box, Recharge 18v power tools, Small TV or Keyboard possibly not similtaneously, possibly space heater if I don't get my D2 installed this year who knows what else. Better to get the 2000 watt and not have to upgrade again. Looking at some Fullriver DC250-6 or some DC224-6. What do you think I'll need, any other recent batteries out there or is Full River still the best chinese bang for your buck? :wink: Don't want to go with Lifeline 6PL-6CT because they weigh too much. Like to keep it 75 lbs or less.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Amp hours = weight in lead.

How many amp hours are you planning? You're gonna need a snotload to operate a space heater. Anything resistive heat (elected heater, AC, toaster oven, sump pump, etc) does not get asking with and just well with batteries. Even a rice cooker draws too much.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Crown makes excellent batteries. They make them right there in Fremont, OH.
(Since Trump has become President, they've closed their 3 Mexican plants and moved production back to Fremont.)

Four of those batteries won't be nearly enough to run an electric space heater for more than about half an hour. In any case, the maximum recommended draw from a battery bank is 12.5% of capacity. You can certainly have higher draws, but the voltage simply can't keep up. So, for a 440 amp bank, you want to limit draws of more than a few minutes to 55 amps. An InstantPot or a toaster oven will blow right past that.

Reactions: brokcanadian

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
(Since Trump has become President, they've closed their 3 Mexican plants and moved production back to Fremont.)

Was it really necessary to throw in an obvious political comment in an otherwise educational thread? :pokepoke:

Reactions: ntimevan

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I will vouch for the Aims low frequency inverter/charger unit. It has a MUCH better battery charger than the Xantrex units (went thru 2) I started out with. I now get double the life out of my batteries which I run a 12 volt A/C system off of...so I am pretty brutal on batteries. Used to need a set every 18 months..current set has 4 years on them (but are getting weak). Aims inverter/charger I have is now 7 years old and the only thing I have replaced on it is the (optional) in cab remote control panel. It was pretty flimsy.

Reactions: Turtle

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I will vouch for the Aims low frequency inverter/charger unit. It has a MUCH better battery charger than the Xantrex units (went thru 2) I started out with. I now get double the life out of my batteries which I run a 12 volt A/C system off of...so I am pretty brutal on batteries. Used to need a set every 18 months..current set has 4 years on them (but are getting weak). Aims inverter/charger I have is now 7 years old and the only thing I have replaced on it is the (optional) in cab remote control panel. It was pretty flimsy.

What model Aims are you running and what kind of batteries? Xantrex has made a few improvements with their recent designs.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Deka 8A31's (4). I have a friend at Freightliner who gets me these for around $110 ea.
Can't remember the model of the Aims, but it is a Global LF (low frequency) inv/charger. Charges at 40 amps and is maybe 1500 or 2000 watts on the inverter side. PICOGLF120 maybe? Dunno.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Was it really necessary to throw in an obvious political comment in an otherwise educational thread? :pokepoke:
It's not even remotely a political comment. It's a simple statement of fact that in the time frame since Trump was inaugurated Crown had chosen to return back to Fremont the production from all three of their Mexican plants, and once again manufactures their batteries domestically right in the heart of the expediting shipping lanes. I made no comment as to whether or not Trump was the reason or the cause for Crown'a decision. Any political message in my statement is invented by the reader, not the writer.

The fact is, according to Crown, prior to making the decision to bring production back domestically Crown considered doing so for more than a year, primarily to have tighter control over the consistency and quality of their batteries, and that despite higher wage costs in the US the better quality of the finished product was worth that higher cost. Crown made no mention of Trump's trade or tax policies having any impact on the decision, but I would imagine if Trump's policies had any impact at all, it was primarily that of shortening the time frame of moving production back to Fremont.

Reactions: brokcanadian

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's not even remotely a political comment. It's a simple statement of fact that in the time frame since Trump was inaugurated Crown had chosen to return back to Fremont the production from all three of their Mexican plants, and once again manufactures their batteries domestically right in the heart of the expediting shipping lanes. I made no comment as to whether or not Trump was the reason or the cause for Crown'a decision. Any political message in my statement is invented by the reader, not the writer.

The fact is, according to Crown, prior to making the decision to bring production back domestically Crown considered doing so for more than a year, primarily to have tighter control over the consistency and quality of their batteries, and that despite higher wage costs in the US the better quality of the finished product was worth that higher cost. Crown made no mention of Trump's trade or tax policies having any impact on the decision, but I would imagine if Trump's policies had any impact at all, it was primarily that of shortening the time frame of moving production back to Fremont.
Nope..... Totally political.

The thread was about which product to use, not where it was made.

Reactions: ntimevan