What is the current demand for an expedited solo straight truck driver?

J.D.

Active Expediter
Researching
Hello

I posted a few questions on this website a few months back and got some pretty sage advice/answers to my questions. I was hoping the experienced guys could chime in once again, when they have a moment.

So, I'm at a point in my life in which I am free to get into expediting or pretty much any OTR position. I believe going into expediting as a straight truck solo driver for an owner would be best. I do have worries that I would be taken advantage of by an owner or company, but that comes with the territory of being a new guy. I wouldn't be coming into this expecting to get rich, just make a living that would support a 27 year old with almost no bills currently or family obligations.

I would like to get into being a solo straight truck driver because as much as people may hate the HOS rules, I "sort of" like them because they stop me from being overworked. They aren't perfect but they give me at least 10 hours in a row in where I can turn my phone off and mute my qualcomm. The last thing I am wondering about expediting is this:

What is the demand for owners looking for solo operators in straight trucks?

I feel like most, if not all solo straight trucks, are owner ops and they have their own little niche gig going in certain areas. I'm not sure and I've never done expediting in all honesty, just researched it. I rarely see ads posted for owners looking for a straight truck driver to solo drive for his rig. I just feel like solo straight truck would be the dream for me honestly, because I'm not a fan of pulling trailers. I've been straight truck local for around a year and some months locally doing my own loads with a pallet jack and left gate and I love it. I just want to do it OTR.

If anybody knows of anybody that is really trying hard to find a solo driver for their straight truck, don't be afraid to let me know either through here or private message. I've been a contract driver in a straight locally doing it as a volunteer for a year and as much as I like helping the homeless/low income folks.. I need to make money for myself. I do enjoy being a contractor and dedicating myself towards getting to know the person I'm working with/for, I like it better than being a company guy.

Lay it to me straight, seriousness ain't a requirement, and good advice is appreciated.

Thanks ya'll.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What is the demand for owners looking for solo operators in straight trucks?
Practically nil.
Remember, a straight truck is an extremely large investment. An owner is going to want to have the truck moving as often as possible. If a load is turned down due to the driver being out of hours, the truck isn't generating any money for the owner.

J.D.

Active Expediter
Researching
Practically nil.
Remember, a straight truck is an extremely large investment. An owner is going to want to have the truck moving as often as possible. If a load is turned down due to the driver being out of hours, the truck isn't generating any money for the owner.

Yeah, I thought about that.

I figured that unless the owner has a very private deal settup that it is so short distance that it is basically local, the demand is very low. I guess solo straight owner operators exist out there but they own their own truck. I guess straight truck wouldn't be something I'd be able to just jump into without some sort of co-driver. I really don't want to team.

So, what about van drivers? I guess I would be overworked and a lot of deadhead would happen.. but the experience I'd gain would be nice. It could give me an understanding after about maybe a year of doing it in all seasons if it is something I'd like to invest the next 10+ years in doing. The ultimate goal being run as a solo operator in a straight truck and pick a good home state to relocate to when the time arrives.

So, what about van/sprinter drivers for an owner? What is that demand like?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are fleet owners out there willing to put a solo driver in a straight truck. Generally, it will be an older truck, the new/newer trucks go to the teams to recoup the costs. It will take some legwork on your part to find them, but they are out there.
Have you checked the classified on this website? EO Classifieds

J.D.

Active Expediter
Researching
There are fleet owners out there willing to put a solo driver in a straight truck. Generally, it will be an older truck, the new/newer trucks go to the teams to recoup the costs. It will take some legwork on your part to find them, but they are out there.
Have you checked the classified on this website? EO Classifieds

Hey

Yeah I have looked in Classifieds before and I don't mind an older truck if the transmission is automatic (I know I suck, haha). I've been driving a frieghtliner M2 straight for a year and half almost and sometimes a Mercedes Sprinter. The reason I was asking about the driver demand was because of the classified section of wanting drivers. I see van positions pop up all the time and any time I see a straight truck position, it is always teams wanted.

I guess I'm comparing it being low demand compared to say Class A companies. If anybody has a Class A and even mentions you are considering looking for a company to run freight for, your e-mail will get bombed by companies begging you to drive for them. I personally don't want to go back to the Class A world of tight docks/truckstops with a 53 ft trailer.

I might have to break down and apply with a van position though because those and Class A are the only ones I ever see.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey

Yeah I have looked in Classifieds before and I don't mind an older truck if the transmission is automatic (I know I suck, haha). I've been driving a frieghtliner M2 straight for a year and half almost and sometimes a Mercedes Sprinter. The reason I was asking about the driver demand was because of the classified section of wanting drivers. I see van positions pop up all the time and any time I see a straight truck position, it is always teams wanted.

I guess I'm comparing it being low demand compared to say Class A companies. If anybody has a Class A and even mentions you are considering looking for a company to run freight for, your e-mail will get bombed by companies begging you to drive for them. I personally don't want to go back to the Class A world of tight docks/truckstops with a 53 ft trailer.

I might have to break down and apply with a van position though because those and Class A are the only ones I ever see.
If you call the expedite carriers that are of interest to you, the recruiters will know if they have fleet owners looking for a solo driver.

J.D.

Active Expediter
Researching
If you call the expedite carriers that are of interest to you, the recruiters will know if they have fleet owners looking for a solo driver.

Right on
I'll give it a shot. I'm pretty much down for any company or recruiter at this point. The main concern is running enough just to be able to pay for fuel, showers, laundry, and food. Less about the pay and more about gaining the experience.

The main issue is I live in California currently and I know that is a no no zone for non teams. I'll have to let them know that relocation is possible and all that jazz. If I got a mailbox near the "freight lanes", I wouldn't even take home time any time during the year. I guess I'll start looking at big carriers who look like they have a lot of fleet owners.

Reactions: Greg

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
First thing is you have to find an owner that would let you solo, if you can do that and you stay in the good freight areas for expediting. Its probably more profit for you that way than splitting with a teammate, but obviously a team is the owners best interest. I did team driving in a st for a little bit and like more than half of the loads we got a solo could do.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
You can call into Landstar and talk to Don Van da Laar and let him know you are looking for an owner that will hire a solo driver. ( 904) 390-1183‬

Reactions: BillChaffey

J.D.

Active Expediter
Researching
You can call into Landstar and talk to Don Van da Laar and let him know you are looking for an owner that will hire a solo driver. ( 904) 390-1183‬

Shoot, I might just give them a call tomorrow.

Hopefully it would be with an owner who can teach me the trade and throw some tips and tricks my way. I'm looking to have enough money to just survive off of and use my time with an owner as a learning experience. I'm sure they have at least one owner that would be cool with that.

Thanks for the info!