Loads going cheap lately?

Alex61716

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello, I have been having a hard time winning loads for a decent rate this year. I’m driving a sprinter o/o and bid my loads through Sylectus from a friend who is set up. Typically I would not drop below .80 but this year I feel like I can bid .80 all day long and be lucky to even get a response. Anyone else experiencing this?

Alex61716

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
So I wonder what the minimum load is is at now? I fee like it used to be .80 I like to do my part in not ruining the market for everyone by not undercutting the rates but you have to win loads some how.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Ask the russians ....Also ask greedy Sylectus people who opened the gates for all kind of carriers just to make an extra buck.A lot of non citizen people run this days just to survive... They run 10 cargo vans with regular insurance behind one properly insured van for example . They also not speak english ...

mr_durdan

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
My dispatcher was bidding .70 per mile around Dallas 2 days ago and couldn't win. I don't know about you all, but I didn't get into this business to make a Walmart greeter paycheck. The people taking loads for this cheap must have been dancing a jig for their meals before this. Last year I estimated my costs, for operating my van, to be .40 per mile. That doesn't include my meals or what I pay for anything else. So why would anyone drive all day and all night just to break even? Does math escape them?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My dispatcher was bidding .70 per mile around Dallas 2 days ago and couldn't win. I don't know about you all, but I didn't get into this business to make a Walmart greeter paycheck. The people taking loads for this cheap must have been dancing a jig for their meals before this. Last year I estimated my costs, for operating my van, to be .40 per mile. That doesn't include my meals or what I pay for anything else. So why would anyone drive all day and all night just to break even? Does math escape them?

Your cost per mi is accurate. You're assuming that cheaper rates will guarantee you attaining loads. They most certainly will not! I got a C-Note says loads were booked out of Dallas for more than .70 cents per mi. What cheaper rates will guarantee is your exit from this business!

Rhetorical questions ...
What company are you with?
Do they have direct customers or is it bid board freight only?
What contacts did they have?
How long have they been in business?

mr_durdan

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your cost per mi is accurate. You're assuming that cheaper rates will guarantee you attaining loads. They most certainly will not! I got a C-Note says loads were booked out of Dallas for more than .70 cents per mi. What cheaper rates will guarantee is your exit from this business!

Rhetorical questions ...
What company are you with?
Do they have direct customers or is it bid board freight only?
What contacts did they have?
How long have they been in business?

I'm with AA Express out of St. Louis, MO. They do have a few direct customers, but from what I can tell those customers are mostly close to St. Louis. Whenever I get outside of 250 miles from home, it's bid board only. Not sure how many years in the business. I know the dispatcher has 5+ years. Most of their fleet is semis. I think they only have a dozen vans.

Alex61716

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Yeah, I have basically just been waiting in the same area much longer trying to get loads for a good rate. But I sat in Atlanta for 3 days bidding on 20+ loads per day and couldn’t win anything even as cheap at 60 cents just to relocate. I had to drive to Chattanooga TN and left the same day for .85 for 1000miles. So I’m hoping I can just avoid certain areas and be ok but we will see.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm with AA Express out of St. Louis, MO. They do have a few direct customers, but from what I can tell those customers are mostly close to St. Louis. Whenever I get outside of 250 miles from home, it's bid board only. Not sure how many years in the business. I know the dispatcher has 5+ years. Most of their fleet is semis. I think they only have a dozen vans.
Stay inside the 250 mile radius if that's where the customers are. When you are offered a load outside that area, ask for extra money up front to get you back toward St. Louis.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Are the rates bad in good areas as well?

As much as i hate to say it, i understand the logic of running cheap out of a risky area. People get scared they will sit for a week or have to do a long deadhead out. I would rather run a load for 60 cents just to get the :censoredsign: out of laredo then sitting for a few days and then deciding its a lost cause and deadheading back into the core area.

Best way to do it is dont go to risky areas without some kinda bonus to buffer a deadhead or cheap rate out.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've gotta put this out there...back at the end of my driving...my cost per mile was so low...I made more profit per mile then those demanding a higher rate! No kidding..
No van payment
Ultra low Insurance being SD based
High miles per gallon at 62-63mph 23-26 mpg
NO vehicle replacement costs to consider....
That said I could get out of most places with little or NO DH to increase the rate average...
While some of my competitors waited for the dollar they needed or demanded they sat while I ran.
We are competing with each other out here, not all buddy buddy...
Independent owner operator should mean something...

Use that thing on your shoulders for a moment...
Your cost per mile is say .45 -.50
Mine say was .25-.28....
Obviously I can take less to get myself out of a jam and still make money!
I am not out here to meet anyones standards

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So everybody should move to S.D.? :pokepoke:
It would sure help...with those that pay their own insurance....:)

I realize, some or most just don't have the swing room I had..I was more the exception then the rule...here it is tho, most seem to be trying run on that same buck a mile they were running for 5-7 yrs ago? Haven't expenses gone up....Just to poke or stir the pile a bit..

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would sure help...with those that pay their own insurance....:)

I realize, some or most just don't have the swing room I had..I was more the exception then the rule...here it is tho, most seem to be trying run on that same buck a mile they were running for 5-7 yrs ago? Haven't expenses gone up....Just to poke or stir the pile a bit..
Thanks for your new shipment.. I should be good for awhile.
I see you kept some for yourself ...image_search_1558052778294.jpeg

" LOAD 1 "