Recommendations for Food

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Living on the road can be a killer on your diet. It’s all a push to eat unhealthy. It gets even harder as you are on a deadline and cannot stop and sit for a meal.

I wanted to share some meals I’ve found to help a person eat out and maybe not destroy your diet.

*disclaimer
I don’t claim to have any education in nutrition, I’m just giving suggestions from my experiences. We all may or may not find different things to be healthy, this is just a share thread that works for us.

I’d like to break this down into 2 sections, sit down and on the go meals.

Sit down
Panera - it’s worth making Panera a habit. Their food, minus the pastries, is good food. While some items may not match your diet, it’s a good place to start eating healthier.

Olive Garden - Unlimited soup and salad. $10, eat until you’re stuffed, and try to keep the breadsticks to a minimum.

Panda Express - Say no to the noodles and the rice, say yes to the Superfood Kale and Broccoli. I usually get the Teriyaki chicken, sauce on the side, just enough dip to give a flavor.

Salads in general - Most places serve salads, get your salad dressing on the side, small dips for flavor equals less consumption of dressing and more of the good stuff.

Mexican food - A previous thread mentioned the Mexican diet, I wouldn’t be afraid to make Mexican foods a staple of your diet.

On the Go
Here, you’re reduced to fast food, drive through windows. My best meal is

Taco Bell - bean burrito
You can eat it while driving and it’s not a burger. Sure not great, just not the worst...

Please share what you suggest out on the road. I’m trying to develop a cycle of restaurants to stop boredom of food, keep things fresh, and of course, eat healthier.

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You get an E for effort, but I imagine quite a few of your suggestions have way more sodium than you can imagine. I took Taco Bell off my list for that reason. And most fast food. Except for an occasional emergency.

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Please share what you suggest out on the road. I’m trying to develop a cycle of restaurants to stop boredom of food, keep things fresh, and of course, eat healthier.

I haven't had to face a boredom of food since I started on a ketogenic diet over 2 years ago. Haven't ate out since, so not much help there ;)

The things I eat at home are pretty much the same general categories as I keep in the van...

Meat
Fish
Vegetables
Eggs
Nuts and seeds

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
If you will download "My Fitness Pal" on your laptop you will get a daily report of all the fats, vitamins, proteins etc you ate for the day...

I now eat grains and veggies and fruits, no meats, no dairy products, no oils of any kind, no seasonings, no salts or pepper. It takes about a month going through detox, lol. But your LDL AND HDL will drop a lot and your blood pressure will get under control if you have BP problems...For men, your weight will drop off fast--at least that's what happened in that course I took at the hospital..
It would be tough to eat like the above on the road......truck stops and fast food place are not looking out for your best interest in the food arena....watch Folks over Knives on net flix

Last edited:
Reactions: R&DJones and Solar

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Salata is a salad bar chain that is quite good. It's not all you can eat but the large is a big serving. They have various chicken and fish you can add to it if you wish and a few soups as well. It's not cheap but it's very good when you want to splurge a bit on a salad.

Reactions: Solar

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In "Moderation " i only eat Seefood ....
Blood Pressure ... 120 /80
Cholesterol ... Good
Heart Arteries and Valves checked and Doctor approved..
60 years young ..
5 ' 10" and 190 lbs ... yeah could shed a few pounds...
But i will never be a Vegetarian..

Whatever...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Buying a 12 v fridge such as a Dometic makes this easy. I'm 5'11" and 260, that's a good 25 lbs lighter than the little ceasars deep dish / pilot pizza days. How hard is it to find a walmart lol. Dometic keeps the salads edible, or whole chickens. Toss the dressing out the window

Dometic fits on the floor between my seats, and doesn't press on the console even with handles installed. Forces me to not collect so much garbage on runs too, no room ;)

Reactions: RoadTime

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Salata is a salad bar chain that is quite good. It's not all you can eat but the large is a big serving. They have various chicken and fish you can add to it if you wish and a few soups as well. It's not cheap but it's very good when you want to splurge a bit on a salad.

Salata is a great place. A small is plenty large for me.

Reactions: Solar

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would be tough to eat like the above on the road......truck stops and fast food place are not looking out for your best interest in the food arena....watch Folks over Knives on net flix

Ikr
Going to be trying that Salata out.

It’s not easy, that’s for sure. My worst part isn’t if I have a “bad meal”, it’s that the bad meal makes me crave more bad meals, so it’s very easy to go down the wrong road quick.

Reactions: skyraider

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like the flavored tuna in single serve envelopes. I mix in a little Miracle Whip or hot sauce from Taco Bell, spread it on a tortilla, add shredded lettuce or mixed iceberg salad and roll one up. One of my new favorite tunas is the beans and rice mix. Tortillas also make a good PB & J rollup. Tortillas last almost forever. When they do get dry they make a halfass Frisbee.

Reactions: muttly and ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pop Tarts are an easy, healthy and simple breakfast or lunch. Eat them warmed in the microwave, room temperature or cold, straight from the refrigerator.
pop tart.JPG

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like the flavored tuna in single serve envelopes. I mix in a little Miracle Whip or hot sauce from Taco Bell, spread it on a tortilla, add shredded lettuce or mixed iceberg salad and roll one up. One of my new favorite tunas is the beans and rice mix. Tortillas also make a good PB & J rollup. Tortillas last almost forever. When they do get dry they make a halfass Frisbee.
Rolling up a fat one.
Burrito 1.JPG
Burrito 2.JPG

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Pop Tarts are an easy, healthy and simple breakfast or lunch. Eat them warmed in the microwave, room temperature or cold, straight from the refrigerator.
KELLOGG'S, POP-TARTS, Yum-azing Vanilla Milkshake Toaster Pastries - 1 pastry 12 grams of sugar per pastry is 3 tea spoons...
  • 9% Total Fat 5.7g.
  • 10% Saturated Fat 1.9g.
  • 0% Cholesterol 1mg.
  • 8% Sodium 195mg.
  • 1% Potassium 24mg.
  • 12% Total Carbohydrates 35g.
  • 6% Dietary Fiber 1.4g.
  • Sugars 12g.
More items...