newbie Expediting

JG Roadrunner

New Recruit
Researching
I have a question about expediting companies, are there any expediting companies in Arizona to work fore or do I have to travel out of the state.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a question about expediting companies, are there any expediting companies in Arizona to work fore or do I have to travel out of the state.
Expediting is for the most part an OTR business. You will be required to travel.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't know of any. Expediting deals primarily with manufacturing. Which is primarily east of the Mississippi River. A handful of expedite loads come out of Phoenix and Tucson, or Douglas and Nogales from Mexico, but they are not generally handled by local companies, they are handled by expedite companies located in the Midwest.

Truckster1036

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a question for one of the more experienced expediters im thinking about getting a ram promaster 2500 sprinter with a sleeper and running it with a driver but im not sure if you can make much money from a sprinter van if you dont drive it yourself.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
ram promaster 2500 sprinter with a sleeper

That would be a interesting combination of vehicles :D

For the other part.
How much money you could make with a driver? Too many factors to give a adequate answer.
But one thing I do know, when you don't have a driver for the van, you make zero to negative income.
Something to consider ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
... a ram promaster 2500 sprinter
Sprinter is like Kleenex. Ram Promaster, Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter, they're all Sprinters. :D

As for how much you can make with a driver in the van, specifics are hard to come by, but in the abstract, the Rule of Thirds still applies. One Third goes to operating expenses (fuel, oil, the cost of running the vehicle and the freight from A to B), One Third goes to the truck (repair and maintenance, insurance, licensing and taxes, etc.), and One Third goes to the driver. In the case of a driver driving for an owner, the driver's third gets split between the owner and the driver. So, on a $900 run, the owner and driver will split the $300 One Third.

Reactions: Grizzly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It stinks then...
Yes it does. With a van, even when you can find good people to put in there, you can't keep them very ling because there's just not enough money in it. It's much more cost effective and profitable to do that with a straight truck.

Reactions: Grizzly

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
....and the problem with a team in a straight truck ?
I’ve often related about the young couple, newbies that did just over $300,000 for the first year. 60/40.
They looked at each other and said why’d we give the owner $120,000 to let us use his truck for one year ?
For less than $10,000 per month we can have our own truck and not put up with him. And own it when we’re done !
Good , hard working teams often , not always, jump ship for thier own truck.
Leaving you with a driverless straight.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’ve often related about the young couple, newbies that did just over $300,000 for the first year. 60/40.
They looked at each other and said why’d we give the owner $120,000 to let us use his truck for one year ?
For less than $10,000 per month we can have our own truck and not put up with him. And own it when we’re done !

I can’t say I know any straight truck team drivers personally, but the research I’ve done, they wasn’t hitting $300k. That’s impressive numbers.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I can’t say I know any straight truck team drivers personally, but the research I’ve done, they wasn’t hitting $300k. That’s impressive numbers.
It can be done with the right truck, company and freight.

Reactions: Solar

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

Don’t take me the wrong way, not asking for specific information, just in a more generalized way, how?

I’ve watched the Crafty Truckers for a few years, and they report what they make sometimes , and it’s not there. They’re a very dedicated team so I was just curious.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Don’t take me the wrong way, not asking for specific information, just in a more generalized way, how?

I’ve watched the Crafty Truckers for a few years, and they report what they make sometimes , and it’s not there. They’re a very dedicated team so I was just curious.
It will depend how your vehicle is set up and what kind of freight you will carry. I know of at least 2 different carriers that fit this requirement. They are well known companies.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think you can do those numbers with 3 companies.
My friend Zorry did them with 2 companies and seldom worked very hard.
He didn’t take a lot of time off.
Years ago, there was an old thread on your best month financially.
A Michigan C unit reported $40,000 for a month.
I know a midwestern fleet owner that as a driver had had a $20,000 week.
My best was a little over $12,000 in a week with one day between loads.
Secret. Get a reefer.

Reactions: Treadmill

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How common is $6000 per week in a reefer ?
For years I’ve heard a well known fleet owner in Tx wouldn’t let you take time off until you hit $25,000 for the month.
That’s why Zorry recently said a hard working team should be able to payoff the $80,000 Reefer he’s selling in 6 months.

It’s a whole different world once you leave cut throat bids/automotive and go specialized.

At least for sharp operators....