I-Pass Scam?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last week I received toll violation notice from the ILL. Tollway listing 10 toll violations from 4/25/18 - 6/5/18 totaling $20.50 with a $20 fine attached to each violation. Grand total: $220.50. All of the violations except one were Open Road Tolling. Often times I will hit 5 toll plazas in a row going around Chicago, yet these violations were sporadic. None were in sequence. This lead me to believe I have a transponder issue.

I called ISTHA customer service this morning and talked with a very nice woman. She pulled up all my info and even had a picture of my van in the commission of a toll violation. From the picture she noticed that my Minnesota plate had an "E" following the larger plate numbers. The "E" denotes a maximum GVWR of 10,000 for state tax purposes. She claimed cameras caught the "E", didn't recognize it and kicked out a violation because I have the van listed as a passenger vehicle. I have been running the ILL. Tollway with an I-Pass transponder since 2006 and with this particular van since September 2015 and now it has become a problem?

The good news is she removed the $200 worth of fines and charged my account for the unpaid tolls. Because of the sporadic nature of the missed tolls I still believe its a transponder issue or a scam. Has anyone else received a toll violation notice from ISTHA?
toll.png

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nope , but RRE. is now using the "Elite Pass" . Total US coverage and if a problem comes up the License plate is connected to RRE and computer clears up the problem...and best of all , RRE pays all our tolls .. so No Charge to us ..

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did she suggest that the van needs to be listed as commercial in order to prevent this in the future? Or what was her solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DollarSign

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’d order a new transponder, if you’ve had the same one for so long, especially if it has a battery in it. After 12 years, ye olde one could poo out

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Have run into this twice.
Once the guy was very rude. I was adamant that it wasn’t me as I hadn’t been in his state for years.
He even read the plate number to me off the picture.
So describe my vehicle to me. ( white Western Star.)
He said it’s a very shiny trailer. Says Bulkmatic on the back. Same digits as my Tractor plate.
I told him to call the. Bulkmatic home office in Griffith, In.
The other time I had turned a company plate into a carrier mid-year and the new operator thought he was getting a free ride.

Reactions: fastman_1

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did she suggest that the van needs to be listed as commercial in order to prevent this in the future? Or what was her solution?
She just said the proper changes would be made. Illinois' tolls are based on the number of axles not whether the vehicle is commercial or private.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’d order a new transponder, if you’ve had the same one for so long, especially if it has a battery in it. After 12 years, ye olde one could poo out
My original transponder was replaced February 2013. My current transponder is scheduled to be replaced in 2020. Next time on the tollway during regular business hours I will see if I can swap out my transponder for a new one.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have an EZPass from 2002. Still working

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
My original transponder was replaced February 2013. My current transponder is scheduled to be replaced in 2020. Next time on the tollway during regular business hours I will see if I can swap out my transponder for a new one.

What color is your transponder? Blue is for commercial use.
Stay safe
KG

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I live in Illinois and had similar problem. Went to the IPass offices in Downers Grove, IL off I-355 and I-88. They cleared it up and tested my transponder to determine if it was defective and played it safe and gave me a new one immediately.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Couldn't afford it? I don't think (?) you have to sign up for all the fleet reporting stuff...and if you run the North East enough those discounts add up quick.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Couldn't afford it? I don't think (?) you have to sign up for all the fleet reporting stuff...and if you run the North East enough those discounts add up quick.
Memory may be off, but $400 upfront for initial sign on with fees, deposit, etc. As a sole Owner/Operator. I have EZ, Sun & NTTA, just wanted to consolidate.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I live in Illinois and had similar problem. Went to the IPass offices in Downers Grove, IL off I-355 and I-88. They cleared it up and tested my transponder to determine if it was defective and played it safe and gave me a new one immediately.
Thanks RedBird! When I get a chance I will stop in there. I'm not buying the camera story I was told but I didn't want to push her since she did remove the fines. Either the transponder is working or it isn't. If it is not working then the camera would come into play to record the violation. I did go online and looked at my account. A few transaction during the time in question were listed as VIDEO TOLL SETTLEMENT instead of just TOLL.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've had EZ since 2006 and never had a problem still the original unit. Even in IN, IL, NY, PA, WV, VA and OH of course.

I called them a couple of years ago and wondered when it would need replacement and they pretty much said don't worry, will call you if necessary.

Reactions: Grizzly and RedBird

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator

What color is your transponder? Blue is for commercial use.
Stay safe
KG
My transponder from EZ Pass is white. Had it for three years I think.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I went online to check out Best Pass, holy kow! They are very proud of their service. I couldn't afford it.

I think it's the best thing to have. I've got EZ Pass and Texas Toll Pass which covers Texas, OK, KS. Having one thing on the windshield versus two or three ect is better. Also I'm with the BEST Expedite Company ;) and they pay for tolls! My CPA told me to get that thing on the van, lol.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I think it's the best thing to have. I've got EZ Pass and Texas Toll Pass which covers Texas, OK, KS. Having one thing on the windshield versus two or three ect is better. Also I'm with the BEST Expedite Company ;) and they pay for tolls! My CPA told me to get that thing on the van, lol.
When did you move to RoadRunner?

Reactions: ntimevan