My Battle of the Bulge

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Put the avocados in the refrigerator.
It’ll slow down the ripening.

Yeah, that's normally what I do to make them last. Right now, fighting just to get some ripe ;)

I did break down yesterday and bought 2 more that were ripe.
Although, I did manage to accidently pay a through the nose high price for them.
I had a handful of coupons I used for shopping this time, so I wasn't paying much attention to them (I knew what I had after all). When I got back to the van, what do I see laying on the floor?

Yup, my coupon for avocados :rolleyes:

Side thought...Why in the world are avocados so freaking expensive?
Price and quality are all over the board.

Wondering if I can grow my own :D

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I'll have to check them out again. From what I remember seeing before, and from just looking it up. They have been adding High Fructose Sugar. Some people have found them without, but seems to be in the minority.

I don't consume any HFS even if it says, "Less Than 2% Of High Fructose Corn Syrup", that's too much for me ;)
Just looked at label
0 carbs
0 sugar

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll have to check them out again. From what I remember seeing before, and from just looking it up. They have been adding High Fructose Sugar. Some people have found them without, but seems to be in the minority.

I don't consume any HFS even if it says, "Less Than 2% Of High Fructose Corn Syrup", that's too much for me ;)
Just looked at label
0 carbs
0 sugar

That's good. Did you verify with the ingredient list? Sometimes they like to slip that in while still claiming no sugar due to the percentage ;)

Ingredients
Ingredients: Fresh Cucumbers, Water, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Contains Less Than 2% Of High Fructose Corn Syrup, Dried Garlic,Calcium Chloride, Sodium Benzoate (To Preserve Flavor), Spice, Mustard Seed, Natural Flavor, Dried Red Peppers, Polysorbate 80.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Looking back at pics of us when we were boating with the Navy 66-70,,there were zero weight control problems with working on the flight-deck, you could eat all you wanted,, so the end to the story is-- riding around in a vehicle and eating whataburgers and such,,its tough, no exercise makes Billy a fluffy kid,,,I know its not funny,, but yes , those were also 12 hour days ,,sort of like expediting and 7 days a week many times.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see a avocado feast in my future...

Came across a really good price at Walmart. So instead of my normal 4-5, I would buy, I got 10. Figuring I would take my chances as they were no where near being ripe.

Well shoot, that was 3 days ago, and these things are still hard as a rock.
I want a avocado so bad, hate to buy more, and these are probably all going to become ripe at the same time.

Going to be some feast

3 weeks later, finally getting ripe. I must have got them right off the branch :rolleyes:

In other news...

It's National Veggie Burger Day (June 5th)

1375577803808.jpg

That sure gets my mouth watering :rolleyes:

I've choked down a few of these beauty's in my day. Some better then others, but never was high on my list.
But I guess it's a more healthier option over National Pancake Day ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ntimevan

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Put the avocados in the refrigerator.
It’ll slow down the ripening.

Yeah, that's normally what I do to make them last. Right now, fighting just to get some ripe ;)

I did break down yesterday and bought 2 more that were ripe.
Although, I did manage to accidently pay a through the nose high price for them.
I had a handful of coupons I used for shopping this time, so I wasn't paying much attention to them (I knew what I had after all). When I got back to the van, what do I see laying on the floor?

Yup, my coupon for avocados :rolleyes:

Side thought...Why in the world are avocados so freaking expensive?
Price and quality are all over the board.

Wondering if I can grow my own :D

You can grow your own....buy a tree,, wait 3 to 4 years
from seed....wait 5 to 13 years! :eek:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We did too! But I don't think avocado trees would flourish in SE Michigan????
Yeah, would have to go with some green house type set up.
Would be a long time (if ever) just to break even, I'm guessing.
In the mean time, will have to keep looking for bargin prices

I came across a store that had the large mutant size avocados. That was pretty wild to see, but also came with a hefty price over $5 for 1.
A little impractical for my needs, but interesting to see.

article-2406657-1B887B1B000005DC-521_634x410.jpg

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My last shopping trip came up empty again for finding my pickles of choice. However, I new suitable larger competitors choice appeared with No HFCS and minimal ingredients. The labeling is extremely similar to my normal brand. Guess they wanted to move in on that slice of shelf space ;)

They tasted good, but has a much higher vinegar content then I was used to. I actually gagged/choked a couple of times while eating them as I got used to the higher vinegar taste. But overall, will be my fall back, if my main brand is not available.

Pickles.JPG

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My last shopping trip came up empty again for finding my pickles of choice. However, I new suitable larger competitors choice appeared with No HFCS and minimal ingredients. The labeling is extremely similar to my normal brand. Guess they wanted to move in on that slice of shelf space ;)

They tasted good, but has a much higher vinegar content then I was used to. I actually gagged/choked a couple of times while eating them as I got used to the higher vinegar taste. But overall, will be my fall back, if my main brand is not available.

It might take some doing on your part, but if you are ever in Farmington Hills, stop by Johnny Pomiderros market at 11 mile/Middlebelt for Topars Pickles.

I kid you not, they are the best I've ever had.

Meet the Topor's - Topor's Pickles

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He had me at fermented
I'm guessing they use regular salt instead of sea salt, but that's not a deal breaker.

Definitely, will be locking in GPS to get some of these.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My return to Facebook.

I'm no fan of Facebook, but I am a fan of Kevin Rutherford and Destination Health. So after dragging my feet for a long time, I gave in and joined the closed group Destination Health. The group currently has 4,395 members, almost doubling in size over the last couple of weeks mostly due to his new time slot exposure on SXM.

On the positive side, it's nice to be among like minded people.

On the negative side, it's still Facebook, and has little to no organization like a forum has. Kind of like if every post on EO was just posted in one spot with no real way to navigate around the mess to get to what your most interested in. Especially with the amount of active postings, blink and you miss something, or just give up trying to keep up. Makes me really appreciated the organization of EO.

The other good/bad thing is, with the increase in members, there are a ton of newbies. Same questions being asked over and over again. I don't blame most of them, trying to find a previously asked question is next to impossible with this format. I've tried to field as many questions as I could, but really it's a daunting and time consuming task.

So, my return to Facebook may be short lived, or at least be cut down to peeker status.

Just a little too overwhelming and unorganized for me ;)

Reactions: FlyingVan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
My return to Facebook.

I'm no fan of Facebook, but I am a fan of Kevin Rutherford and Destination Health. So after dragging my feet for a long time, I gave in and joined the closed group Destination Health. The group currently has 4,395 members, almost doubling in size over the last couple of weeks mostly due to his new time slot exposure on SXM.

On the positive side, it's nice to be among like minded people.

On the negative side, it's still Facebook, and has little to no organization like a forum has. Kind of like if every post on EO was just posted in one spot with no real way to navigate around the mess to get to what your most interested in. Especially with the amount of active postings, blink and you miss something, or just give up trying to keep up. Makes me really appreciated the organization of EO.

The other good/bad thing is, with the increase in members, there are a ton of newbies. Same questions being asked over and over again. I don't blame most of them, trying to find a previously asked question is next to impossible with this format. I've tried to field as many questions as I could, but really it's a daunting and time consuming task.

So, my return to Facebook may be short lived, or at least be cut down to peeker status.

Just a little too overwhelming and unorganized for me ;)
Yup, that's the problem with the FB Expediting group. No Newbies Paradise. In any given week the same questions are asked a dozen times.