Promaster Disaster

specky

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi everyone.
I bought a new Ram Promaster 3500 Diesel in Nov. 2015 with 0 miles on it.
Now it has 312400km on it which is just under 200,000 miles.(I even took 4 months off)
Nothing but problems.
Frozen park brake lines twice that ruins the pads and rotors.
Air conditioner compressor.
Fuel injectors and pump.
Heater hose blew.
Glow plugs replaced twice. They broke off and had to get drilled out.
Can't keep enough light bulbs in my tool box.
Oil pressure sensor and switch.
The repairs go on and on.
I change oil and filters regularly and on time.
My loads are not heavy and I don't drive it hard.
This van is costing me an average of $600.00 a month on repairs only.
Anyone else having these problems??

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nothing much with Gas Engine .. 1 with Cam bearings replaced under warranty...

☠.. Online courses now available for Pot Stirring

Reactions: DollarSign

Airtime

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I feel your pain in similar ways my friend. 2014 2500 highroof ecodiesel purchased new and driven respectfully. The AC compressor failed a bit before 60,000km,I was doing expedite,s and took it to a dealership when i could in Ontario,was now around 62,000km and Chrysler offered zero support in the replacement cost, Argued I went past the rediculous low 60,000km warranty as I was working and had no time for service any sooner. Quote was $1800.00 installed.Luckily another dealer felt the B.S i dealt with and replaced the compressor for $1300.00. Still painful. Next up was the frozen park brake cables. Shortly after i had to replace both rear wheel hubs, rear PB shoes and cables(very pricey fix).I was stranded 2.5 hours from home with it not wanting to turn over(thanks CAA for the tow home) found the engine to chassis ground was rusted at the engine location(its behind the air filter housing)Thankfully repaired it myself. Had to replace glow plugs as one was out, did all four myself had one break off but I was prepared as i had the drill out removal kit. Life saver that kit was and affordable on ebay.EGR manifold was packed with the tar like emission crap upon removal to get at the glow plugs, I was at approximately 210,000 at that point. Next up DPF codes started and I certainly had enough with any bit of confidence in the van long gone. Traded in at 230,000km.No more modern diesels for this guy. Fuming still as i think of this horrible ownership experience. I as well maintained filters,proper engine oil was always used and serviced. Sorry for the extra long posting but I really hope to help the next O/O considering this you know what cargo van. Be safe drivers and buy smart. Airtime in Ontario Canada.

dalscott

Expert Expediter
Hi everyone.
Now it has 312400km on it which is just under 200,000 miles.(I even took 4 months off)
Nothing but problems.
Fuel injectors and pump.
Heater hose blew.

Sounds like my Sprinter.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi everyone.
Nothing but problems.
Fuel injectors and pump.
Heater hose blew.

You should have decals made up-

Promaster Disaster

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Moot

robin280

Seasoned Expediter
You should have bought a Transit. The biggest problem I have found is that almost all your maintenance has to be done in a dealership. I have a repair shop here at home that kept my Chevy Express running great till over 600,000 miles. But when I brought my 2016 Transit in for brakes, they told me they couldn't do them because it has to be hooked up to a machine to turn the rotors. The same thing with flushing the transmission fluid. So I have accepted that fact and do all my maintenance at a dealership, with the exception of my monthly oil changes which I use the drive-thru Valvoline shops. The dealerships are definitely more expensive, but the work is guaranteed all over the country.
Besides those issues, I have been very happy with my Transit, I bought the high roof and extended length version. I lost so much freight with that tiny Chevy Express that I wanted as may options as possible My van has been on the road for exactly 2 years this weekend, and I have 227,000 miles on it. I find I have very little wait time now, and I have to think some of that is because of my dimensions.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought a diesel promaster new. I had the usual park brake problems, but learned to just turn engine off in gear and not use park brake. i had major transmission issues. the van would jump out of 6th gear. it spent way too much time in the dealership over this. it was rebuilt once, replaced once and still had issues. it stayed in the shop for 8 months in a row. with the newest transnission i got 78k miles before it started jumping out of 1st gear. im sure it was some sort of calibration issue but the promaster mechanics were not trained to deal with it. i loved the torque and economy of the diesel van. i traded it in at 200k miles for a gas 2018 promaster, i owed more than trade value and had to pay about 10k over window sticker for the new van. im at 35k miles with the new one and so far no issues. i do miss the fuel mileage as this one is about 16.4

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
16.4 mpg ...? Gas ..how fast you drive ..
Me .. Thursday- Friday = SC to Laredo .... 20.2 mpg
Currently... Pharr , Tx headed to Detroit .. running 19.2 mpg

68 to 69 mph... no faster
Under 17 mpg only if headed into strong head wind ..

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

robin280

Seasoned Expediter
I usually get between 17 to 20 mpg in my Transit. It depends on all the different factors you encounter, like wind and weight and speed. But in ideal conditions it stays right around 18 or 19 mpg.

Sent from my SM-G930P using EO Forums mobile app

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The worst part of my Sprinter ownership experience (it was a Dodge) was Chrysler dealers and Chrysler warranty. I'll never buy anything from them ever again. There are things about the Promaster I like...but unless FCA drastically improves....nope.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I bought a diesel promaster new. I had the usual park brake problems, but learned to just turn engine off in gear and not use park brake. i had major transmission issues.
Leaving a van in gear or even in park while loading/unloading with a lift truck could certainly lead to transmission problems. I always set the parking brake before putting the transmission in park.

Reactions: ntimevan

Airtime

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Moot, great advice there. I wouldn't shut down in gear for loading either.All bad for sure. If she slightly moves with Pbrake applied and very well could ,so be it on ground level loading. Fork truck driver will take it a bit easier. Hopefully.... If you have to jump in the cab and hold the service brake on would be best.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When you report mpg, is this from an on-board readout or a fill up to fill up dividing total miles driven by number of gallons?
Trip start to next fill... plus fills gallons and miles added together till trip ended ... when Scott was asking me Promaster questions while i was headed to Laredo last week i was in high 19's at midway point and finished 20.2 ... 150 lb. Load
Now hauling 3 skids 500 lbs ..

robin280

Seasoned Expediter
I have the eco boost engine. And my mileage stats come from the dashboard info. I know it isn't as accurate, but it will still give you a pretty good idea of where you stand.

Sent from my SM-G930P using EO Forums mobile app