Continuous DEF Problems with Sprinters

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh, you want to argue the proper use of terminology. I would have thought that you were aware that it is common place, slang if you will to refer to the entire system as the DEF system.

DEF = Diesel Exhaust Fluid
DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
with some systems that is true and with some, not. You guys just want to argue these irrelevant off topic points in an attempt to showcase what you know or may think you know.
You're not picking fights with yer average Internet blowhards here, you're picking fights with real actual experts on this topic, people who deal with it every day, not just with their trucks, but with hundreds of them.

It reminds of the Internet-infamous Stanley, who on Facebook went to great pains to explain in mind-numbing detail how fellow Facebook poster Deborah Landis was wrong, and quite the ignorant idiot, about the design of, and in particular the inspiration for, the costumes Indiana Jones wore in the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark.

After Stanley had make a complete spectacle of himself, finally writer/director Max Landis chimed in to let Stanley know it's time to save a little face. Max Landis is the son of famed director John Landis (Animal House, Blues Brothers, Trading Places, etc.) and of award winning theatrical and movie costume designer Deborah Nadoolman Landis (Blues Brothers, Michael Jackson's red leather jacket in Thriller, Three Amigos, Trading Paces, Spies Like Us, and, Harrison Ford's costumes in the Indiana Jones movies) . Yep, same ignorant idiot Deborah above who needs to spend a little more time on Google to get her facts straight.

We’re so far off topic now it’s rather pointless.
Says the guy who went breathtakingly off-topic to insult a member, a Moderator, no less, to try and make an Internet clever by positing that the member was deprived of attention as a child, which caused him to be rude as an adult, because apparently calling you out on the stuff you're shoveling is rude.

But, I guess I should’ve known this. These pointless childish arguments are really all that can be found online anymore. It’s just people Starved for attention.
EO is not yer average Internet forum. But you wouldn't know because you signed up, asked a couple of questions, and then disappeared for a year and a half, only to suddenly reappear and fill this thread with your greatness. Most of the people here that you think are yahoos starved for attention are serious professionals with decades of experience and education in their fields. They're not experts because they say they are, they're experts because other people know they are.

Reactions: ucfd608

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
FV
I formally request that my account " blind squid" be removed & or eliminated from this sandbox.
(Eliminated from the entire site)
As a rule, and in practice, we do not delete accounts. A few exceptions are duplicate accounts, and a few (but not all) spammers. As per the Code of Conduct, "...any information you post becomes the property of ExpeditersOnline.com and you acknowledge and agree that ExpeditersOnline.com may preserve content...". Having said that, you are still free to go back and manually hand delete each of your posts. The content will still be preserved on EO, but at least your posts will be removed from view (unless an Administrator or Moderator chooses to undelete them, of course, which can happen if the post is important to the flow or context of a thread).

If this request is insufficient to make this happen than feel free to state what must be done to effect such action.
You would need to appeal directly to Lawrence McCord, the owner of OnTime Media, and perform one helluva song and dance to convince him. If you cannot sing or dance, then I'm sure he would at least entertain a substantial offer from you to buy OnTime Media so you could make up your own site rules. Fair warning, by "substantial," I'm talking Trump money, or Oprah money.

Rossinonte

New Recruit
Researching
I have a 2011 Sprinter 3500 and had some mysterious low DEF alarms as well as the dreaded countdowns starting at around 30k miles. I have had low DEF warning lights come on, and I just put one cup of DEF to top it off and the light turns off. (weird). Another time low DEF light came on and I could only put 1/4 gallon in before topping it off and the low DEF light turned off after driving about 30 miles.

Then the following happens...
12/8/17 38848 miles. Check engine light. P22A1 code I cleared the error code again.

12/10/17 39968 miles: topped of DEF with 1 gallon

1/7/18: Check engine light P22A1 again. (Powertrain, ECM-Engine Control $7EO), I cleared the error code again.

2/24/18 43230 miles: Topped off DEF, took little over 2.5 gallons. (Drove 3262 miles since last top off. 3262 / 2.5 gallons of DEF = 1305 miles per gallon of DEF.)

2/24/18 43327 miles P22A1 again. Power train ECM Engine control error $7EO I cleared the error code again.

Google shows P22A1 to be associated to:
ECM Engine control $7EO:
Nitrogen oxides (NOx) sensor 2. bank 1 - circuit high.

Each time I get this code I just clear it and I'm on my way. Looking at my miles in between the error codes, it seems to become more frequent and I am getting less miles per gallon of DEF than when the Sprinter was newer (1800 miles per DEF Gallon before and 1300 miles per DEF gallon now.) I'm happy I'm not getting the countdowns anymore but I'm worried about long term effects of resetting the P22A1 CEL. Are there any with just 43k miles?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have a 2011 Sprinter 3500 and had some mysterious low DEF alarms as well as the dreaded countdowns starting at around 30k miles. I have had low DEF warning lights come on, and I just put one cup of DEF to top it off and the light turns off. (weird). Another time low DEF light came on and I could only put 1/4 gallon in before topping it off and the low DEF light turned off after driving about 30 miles.

12/8/17 38848 miles. Check engine light. P22A1 code I cleared the error code again.

1/7/18: Check engine light P22A1 again. (Powertrain, ECM-Engine Control $7EO), I cleared the error code again.

2/24/18 43230 miles: Topped off DEF, took little over 2.5 gallons. (Drove 3262 miles since last top off. 3262 / 2.5 gallons of DEF = 1305 miles per gallon of DEF.)

2/24/18 43327 miles P22A1 again. Power train ECM Engine control error $7EO I cleared the error code again.

ECM Engine control $7EO:

Each time I get this code I just clear it and I'm on my way. Looking at my miles in between the error codes, it seems to become more frequent and I am getting less miles per gallon of DEF than when the Sprinter was newer (1800 miles per DEF Gallon before and 1300 miles per DEF gallon now.) I'm happy I'm not getting the countdowns anymore but I'm worried about long term effects of resetting the P22A1 CEL. Are there any with just 43k miles?
Sounds to me like a NOx sensor going bad. They use these sensors to know how much DEF to inject. I would personally get it fixed one way or another before it gets worse and you get the countdown again.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

ECM Engine control $7EO:

Have you done any research on sprinter-source?
Take it to a good shop. Do you know of one?

SprinterOwner77536

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I have 3 2013 Sprinter 2500s. Each of them have been the shop multiple times for the same problems. Chk Eng/Chk DEF/10 Starts Remaining. Mercedes and Freightliner can not seem to solve the problems. They just throw parts at the problem and send you on your merry way, only to have the same problem occur a day/week/month later.

I'm curious how many owners are having the same problems and if anyone has found a satisfactory solution?

Most of the time the parts replaced are (in order) NOX Sensors, Upstream Temp Sensor, DEF Dosing Valve, SCR (catalytic converter) and an occasional EGR Valve. Of course, all of these problems start AFTER the emissions warranty has expired.

I'm giving some thought to a class-action suit, but need to gather a lot of information from as many owners as I can before I could consider moving forward with it.

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions or feedback. Post a reply or send me a PM. I would be happy to talk with anyone who is experiencing the same problems.
I have a 2014, bought it new in 2015. During the warranty period, it stranded me 6 times due to DEF system. After warranty, first repair was $2200. One year and 50,000 miles later, it was just under $4,000.00. Twice, I picked it up at the dealer, heading out on a trip and twice, the DEF system broke again, the same day. I found out that under warranty, they were not replacing the bad sensors, they were resetting the system and kicking me out the door. So, why would anyone buy a Sprinter, because with all of the problems, when it is running right, there is nothing else out there. Knowing what I know about them, I would still buy another one. I drove the Ford and Dodge and they are NOT sprinters. But, I do think it's criminal that MB hasn't fixed these problems. I too thought about a class action suit. But, I didn't want to waste my life in court. Oh, my dealer suggested a solution: Buy a new 2019... they have "fixed" the problem.... One more: Everyone should stop trying to figure out what a person did to cause this problem. No one did anything except buy a Sprinter.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a 2014, bought it new in 2015. During the warranty period, it stranded me 6 times due to DEF system. After warranty, first repair was $2200. One year and 50,000 miles later, it was just under $4,000.00. Twice, I picked it up at the dealer, heading out on a trip and twice, the DEF system broke again, the same day. I found out that under warranty, they were not replacing the bad sensors, they were resetting the system and kicking me out the door. So, why would anyone buy a Sprinter, because with all of the problems, when it is running right, there is nothing else out there. Knowing what I know about them, I would still buy another one. I drove the Ford and Dodge and they are NOT sprinters. But, I do think it's criminal that MB hasn't fixed these problems. I too thought about a class action suit. But, I didn't want to waste my life in court. Oh, my dealer suggested a solution: Buy a new 2019... they have "fixed" the problem.... One more: Everyone should stop trying to figure out what a person did to cause this problem. No one did anything except buy a Sprinter.
One thing you could’ve done was get a delete done to the emissions system and that would’ve solved all your problems. That’s what I did to my 2012 Sprinter. MB fixed the problem awhile back (over sensitive sensors). I have a 2017 Sprinter now with 150k on it and no problems at all. I have a buddy with a 2016 4 cylinder with 250k on it and no issues with the emissions. I would probably get the gasser when in comes out but I will wait until 2020 to get one to see if there are any problems with them.

Reactions: Grizzly

SprinterOwner77536

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
One thing you could’ve done was get a delete done to the emissions system and that would’ve solved all your problems. That’s what I did to my 2012 Sprinter. MB fixed the problem awhile back (over sensitive sensors). I have a 2017 Sprinter now with 150k on it and no problems at all. I have a buddy with a 2016 4 cylinder with 250k on it and no issues with the emissions. I would probably get the gasser when in comes out but I will wait until 2020 to get one to see if there are any problems with them.
I would caution everyone about deleting the DEF system incorrectly or having your local buddy at the garage do it. The last time I was at a MB dealership, there was a sprinter there with a blown engine over doing the bypass or delete wrong. The mechanic explained it, but I am not mechanical so I can't repeat what he said. But, I do believe that you need a really competent mechanic to do the delete properly. As far as the gas version, there is no right answer, we all have our preferences. But, to me, I love that big 6 diesel it flies up mountains at 75 mph, loaded. Gotta love it at the same time you hate the DEF. Thanks everyone for all the great posts here.

Ken Russ

New Recruit
US Marines
Sounds to me like a NOx sensor going bad. They use these sensors to know how much DEF to inject. I would personally get it fixed one way or another before it gets worse and you get the countdown again

Google shows P22A1 to be associated to: ECM Engine control $7EO; Nitrogen oxides (NOx) sensor 2. bank 1 - circuit high.

Update on my 2011: Dealer was able to fix all problems causing two fault codes and one monitor failing to clear, and it has now passed smog check, so good for two more years. The problems turned out to be “DPFilter particulate reading too high” (what I suspected as main problem), “AdBlue system fault” (the 2nd fault code I found), and “SCR catalytic fault” (one of the monitors that would not clear during drive cycle). The fix was two new NOx sensors, clogged AdBlue injector cleaned, computer software update, and a regen cycle to clean the DPF (successful), so now back on the road.

These are the main issues we’ve seen time-and-again when attempting to assist customers with the deadly “DEF” problem on their Sprinters. My last three “DEF” problems (all on Sprinters) were resolved with a DPF/DOC cleaning AND an ECM software flash (update). Seems there’s a whole host of problems resolved with just the ECM software update alone.