Detroiter

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's a lot of vans waiting for work at the detroiter today.
I was a little sad that the detroiter in name sake is gone.
I spoke with a employee a while ago. She said the owner finally sold out. So it's all Flying J now.

I found this out when I asked why the Detroiter sign had been removed. Also, all pictures and references are gone also. Didn't see the rows of discount books either unless they are stashed somewhere I didn't see.

Last week when I was there, looks like Subway closed up shop???

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I was a little sad that the detroiter in name sake is gone.
I spoke with a employee a while ago. She said the owner finally sold out. So it's all Flying J now.

I found this out when I asked why the Detroiter sign had been removed. Also, all pictures and references are gone also. Didn't see the rows of discount books either unless they are stashed somewhere I didn't see.

Last week when I was there, looks like Subway closed up shop???

I don't know, should be better as PFJ. I stayed there 1 night - ever. Couldn't even shower because the night guy hadn't gotten around to cleaning them.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

BXDIVER

Expert Expediter
Driver
I agree, it's time for new showers and no more flea market clutter. The subway is gone, and the repair shop seems to have new management. Got my inspection done today and received excellent service.

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
I 3rd the "good riddance" of the Detroiter BS. They didn't put price tags on any of their items for sale, and sometimes charged double what PFJ would charge for the exact same purchases. Then you're left with the option to either look like a cheapskate and be a pain to people behind you by taking things off your order, or just pay the outrageous prices and walk back to your truck fuming.

I stayed at the Detroiter many times, but I rarely bought anything there other than fuel because of their price gouging on unmarked goods. I'd normally just stock my fridge elsewhere and camp out in the van area till I got a load. The Denny's had decent service, though, so I'd buy from them also.

Reactions: xmudman

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know, should be better as PFJ. I stayed there 1 night - ever. Couldn't even shower because the night guy hadn't gotten around to cleaning them.

Was wondering if the showers ever got updated. Last time I used one was in 2000

Back then it was a much different place. I even drove from home 60 miles a few times, just for the all you can eat fish Friday lol. Going to the Detroiter was a good experience unlike today. To see it erode over the years is the saddest part for me.

Anyone remember the fuel isle attendants that would wash your windows as you fueled. Ah, the good out days lol.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The old school charm of the Detroiter was a nice throwback...but it's time for them to blow it up and start over. One of those newer PJ Fresh style ones would be good...something that serves food 24/7 (even if it's just Subway), updated showers and a better laid out parking lot. But...doubt it. Seems like most of the new PJ money gets spent south of I-40.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The old school charm of the Detroiter was a nice throwback...but it's time for them to blow it up and start over. One of those newer PJ Fresh style ones would be good...something that serves food 24/7 (even if it's just Subway), updated showers and a better laid out parking lot. But...doubt it. Seems like most of the new PJ money gets spent south of I-40.
You mean like a “Pilot in the Box” type. Similar to the one in Horizon city, tx or Marion, IL.

Reactions: piper1 and ntimevan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
A few months back I was talking to a regional PFJ guy and there main purpose in life is to sell diesel fuel. Second is C-Store. Parking for T/T's costs too much because property casts too much. The future will be parking for fuel customers only.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A few months back I was talking to a regional PFJ guy and there main purpose in life is to sell diesel fuel. Second is C-Store. Parking for T/T's costs too much because property casts too much. The future will be parking for fuel customers only.

They don’t owe parking to non fueling customers.
At today’s costs, parking needs to be figured into your cost of doing business.
You vans have it easy.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No more str8 trk parking out front, vans only.
#WhiteVansMatter

29yjzf7as1101.jpg