Ready for another Feb-ulos Month

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Empty in Bowling Green..
Welcome to February..

11 months till Christmas ( famous OVM quote) ..

All aboard the Freight Train

Reactions: Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
FullMoonMadness.jpg
no romance this month as there will be NO full moon to sit under this month....;)

Whenever there’s a full Moon, things get pretty exciting at the Farmers’ Almanac office. Our staff and readers alike enjoy all of the Moon’s phases, but we get especially enthusiastic about the folklore surrounding each full Moon. But what if there was no monthly full Moon? In February 2018 that’s exactly what’s happening—we won’t have a full Moon. But to make up for it, January and March will be “double full Moon months,” meaning that during both of these months, there will be two times that the Moon reaches its full phase. When we have two full Moons in a single month the second of these is called a “Blue Moon.”

Is it Rare?
We often describe an unusual event as happening “once in a Blue Moon.” This expression was first noted back in 1821 and refers to occurrences that are uncommon, though not truly rare. But what about a month with no Moon at all? That is a bit more rare than a Blue Moon (which happens on average every 3 1/2 years), and a “No-Moon” month happens about once every 19 years. The last time February didn’t have a full Moon was in 1999 and then again in 1980.

The timing of the full Moon is related to the “Metonic Cycle,” named by the Greek astronomer, Meton, who discovered this phenomenon around 500 B.C. He noted that a given phase of the Moon usually falls on the same date at intervals of 19 year.

Why Is There No Full Moon in February 2018? - Farmers' Almanac

Last edited:
Reactions: ntimevan and Turtle

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just saw this. I maybe wrong. But from what I have been studying up on flatbed securement. Shouldn't chains be used with this load?

b4fd1cdff7d056735254195477c335cc.jpg

41868767e23ab73fd8b5799c8a9b5fed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just saw this. I maybe wrong. But from what I have been studying up on flatbed securement. Shouldn't chains be used with this load?

b4fd1cdff7d056735254195477c335cc.jpg

41868767e23ab73fd8b5799c8a9b5fed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
I am not an expert on flat beds ..but
Straps were use because if chains were used you would have Metal to Metal scaring and scraping... if those are Fuel tanks ... result .. not good

Reactions: RoadTime

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Depends on weight, and length. There are formulas, but basically anything longer than 10 feet will need at least 2 staps, plus one every 10 feet after the first to feet. The WLL needs to be at least half the weight of the load, and except for things like wheeled vehicles (bulldozer, tractor, whatever) as long as the straps meet the WLL rating, itdoesn't matter if they're straps or chains.

Reactions: VSprinter

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good standard size straps for a flatbed I'm pretty sure usually have a WLL of around 5400 lbs each. Looks like 6 straps so 32,000 ish pounds of strap capacity. Tank looks like it's some kind of pressure vessel based on those hatches...so it's likely pretty heavy.

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Straps were use because if chains were used you would have Metal to Metal scaring and scraping... if those are Fuel tanks ... result .. not good

That makes sense. The thing I remembered was use metal on metal, that got me wondering. Eitherway, personally, I don't think that pickup should be hauling it

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: ntimevan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

That makes sense. The thing I remembered was use metal on metal, that got me wondering. Eitherway, personally, I don't think that pickup should be hauling it

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Hard to see on iPhone, is it a fiberglass tank ?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I thought near the center there’s a large area where the fiberglass is thicker: like it overlaps.
Some fiberglass tanks have metal cradles/ supports. Also metal flanges glassed in.
But he saw that it was metal, so who am I to argue ?