2006 4300 oil pump lose prime

andy75

New Recruit
Researching
have a 2003 IH 466 in a 4300. when it sits for over an hour or longer. take a long crank to start. once it starts. it will start fine. I found that I have no oil pressure causing the long crank before starting to get pressure to the high pressure oil pump. I have changed the ICP sensor under valve cover. I just dropped the oil pan to check for crack or loose pickup tube. it also has intermit low power. when going down the road when running on flat ground 70mph no load my ICP is 3100psi going up an over pass pressure goes to 3900 psi and drop to 65 mph. fuel filter been changed and injector cut out has been performed and all good.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
have a 2003 IH 466 in a 4300. when it sits for over an hour or longer. take a long crank to start. once it starts. it will start fine. I found that I have no oil pressure causing the long crank before starting to get pressure to the high pressure oil pump. I have changed the ICP sensor under valve cover. I just dropped the oil pan to check for crack or loose pickup tube. it also has intermit low power. when going down the road when running on flat ground 70mph no load my ICP is 3100psi going up an over pass pressure goes to 3900 psi and drop to 65 mph. fuel filter been changed and injector cut out has been performed and all good.
It definitely sounds like you're on the right track. I'm no expert on these, but another common leak point is the injector o-rings. There's two passages on each injector, one for oil and another for fuel. Bad o-rings can cause high pressure oil leakage, but generally once you get it fired up and they warm up, they seal. Or, the exact opposite. They leak when they get hot. Or it'll push engine oil into the fuel system, causing bad oil consumption, smoking, and the fuel turns black.

Still, not exactly matching your symptoms, but it may be worth pursuing. O-ring kits are inexpensive, and since it sounds like you are handy with tools, you can accomplish this yourself.

If the injectors haven't been out before, their age makes them suspect.

When the injectors are pulled, oil and fuel will run out of the galleries in the head and into the cylinders. You absolutely must vacuum the oil out or the rods will bend when the engine is cranked. They make pumps for changing oil through the dipstick tube, like on boats, and the tubing is generally thin enough to fit through the injector nozzle holes into the cylinders.

There certainly can be other problems, but this is one of the cheapest things you can do (if you do it yourself).

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
At some point ( I don't remember when, I think 2006) they changed the design and put a high pressure oil manifold on top of all the injectors. A big, heavy, oil-filled log. The things that fit in the tops of the injectors are called the pucks, and oil will leak from here, instead. I don't know if the oil seals on the pucks are available separately, or if you had to replace the puck. A special tool is needed to loosen and tighten them.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

andy75

New Recruit
Researching
I'm finding have a base oil pressure leak. cause of long crank to start. I checked the high pressure oil pump resevior and its full. I'm losing oil from there to the pan. I'm wondering if it the oil pump it self or the regulator behind the front cover. didn't know if there any other source where oil could drain back from the base oil pump. I'm also leaning towards the injector o rings for the high pressure issue.

andy75

New Recruit
Researching
update on oil pump. I got the oil pump off and checked it shows normal wear. I checked rotor to housing and in spec. I checked side play from housing to rotor assy. with straight edge and its out of spec by .001 I need a new pump and housing but not convinced this is going to fix the oil drain back for a long crank after sitting for an hour or so. can anyone tell me exactly where the pressure regulator is behind the front cover? is it behind the outer front cover or the inner front cover? Thanks

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
update on oil pump. I got the oil pump off and checked it shows normal wear. I checked rotor to housing and in spec. I checked side play from housing to rotor assy. with straight edge and its out of spec by .001 I need a new pump and housing but not convinced this is going to fix the oil drain back for a long crank after sitting for an hour or so. can anyone tell me exactly where the pressure regulator is behind the front cover? is it behind the outer front cover or the inner front cover? Thanks
Pm greasytshirt with your question. You will get an answer faster.