Cargo Van Truck stop news

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
IMHO this is the best place to park at a truck stop! Since I live in Nashville I should know, LOL. The Pilot at ext 64 is horribly too small and the Pilot in Murfreesboro is a second choice but not great. Ive got driver that i talk to, he tells me to park at the TA in downtown Nashville. It's suppose to be cleaned up but I told him I'll pass!

That place is kinda rough. I would never stop there for anything. It was even worse before a flood several years ago destroyed the old T/A that was there. The old one was really a dump. They arrested a serial killer trucker there several years ago. That story was all in the news I think there were even some ID channel shows about the case.

They found the killer when all the bodies floated up with fingers pointing.

Unless u got spikes on ur jacket, pins through ur ears and razors in ur hair downtown t/a is best avoided.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Unless u got spikes on ur jacket, pins through ur ears and razors in ur hair downtown t/a is best avoided.[/QUOTE]

Wow !
Talk about judging a book by its cover.
They could be an unsavory character.

OR
They could be “artsy “
They could be looking for attention
They could have low self esteem.

I watch them and see which van they’re driving.
If it’s a reputable carrier, I assume they’ve passed a background check and are probably OK.

Reactions: ntimevan

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I'm a former combat soldier, if you want P.C. look elsewhere.

Razors inna hair is for one reason only. Grap a handfull, see what happens.
Pins in ears yep decoration.
Spikes = shoulder to jaw....splode!

The depiction was "unsavory character" aka poetic license. Generally not found in vans. Possibly lurking about though.

Last edited:

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Now here's a Treet. Pilot in Greenville (xit 93?). Walk out & sitting here a nice Lamborghini huracan. Very nice, nothing like the sound of a v12!
Sigh! Lamborghini ...my favorite.
End the year drooling.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok everyone, here's the update at the Petro in Ontario CA. If your an expediter even in a cargo van you must pay $20 to park for 24 hours. You can buy things that equal $20 still get a pass.

I called the home office and told them that it's not right for us "cargo van" to pay to park. I've never had to pay to park at a truck stop. The reason there doing this is cause theres been too many locals that have complained that they would like to stop and shop, but there's no parking.
Beg to differ on paying in a Cargo van in Ontario, Ca. Was parked their last month and never paid or got a permit. If you read the sign on the door. It say if you don’t register by 10 pm you’ll be asked to move to the paid lot in back. Since vans can’t park in the back it can’t pertain to us likttle guys.
Second they tried to do this to vans before and were shut down on that policy by corporate.
Now I did see a load one van and another have permits in the windows, but you never seen one in mine and I was never asked to get one.

Reactions: mccll01

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I should add about the Petro in Ontario and car lot parking, it isn’t about local shopping their, it’s about they’re renting car spots to the local drivers for a couple hundred a month or something like 10 or 15 a day. That’s the real reason.

Reactions: Turtle and billg27

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Ok everyone, here's the update at the Petro in Ontario CA. If your an expediter even in a cargo van you must pay $20 to park for 24 hours. You can buy things that equal $20 still get a pass.

I called the home office and told them that it's not right for us "cargo van" to pay to park. I've never had to pay to park at a truck stop. The reason there doing this is cause theres been too many locals that have complained that they would like to stop and shop, but there's no parking.
Beg to differ on paying in a Cargo van in Ontario, Ca. Was parked their last month and never paid or got a permit. If you read the sign on the door. It say if you don’t register by 10 pm you’ll be asked to move to the paid lot in back. Since vans can’t park in the back it can’t pertain to us likttle guys.
Second they tried to do this to vans before and were shut down on that policy by corporate.
Now I did see a load one van and another have permits in the windows, but you never seen one in mine and I was never asked to get one.
I was just there but it wasn't me that you saw, and at the door it says expediters must pay or spend $20 or 60 gallons of fuel. They saw my Sprinter and still had to pay. Im NOT parking in the back even if its free.

I also talk to the manager and told her that it's the cars, not cargo vans that's the problem. Also talk to the security guard and he said the vans just started this week.

Last edited:

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I should add about the Petro in Ontario and car lot parking, it isn’t about local shopping their, it’s about they’re renting car spots to the local drivers for a couple hundred a month or something like 10 or 15 a day. That’s the real reason.
Yes, cars pay $10 a day or $200 a month per the security guard. Use to no bobtails and I think no Str8 were up front. Now there lined up.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was there in August, paid twice. $20 just to park would be a ripoff; using purchases inside to reach $20, no problem since we both like the restaurant

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: ntimevan

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I’d head over to the beach and park there.

Head over to the Beach ?
Care to explain ?
There’s a little campground, on the beach, just West of LAX. I think 38’ spaces. Also, Ontario to LAX is often 2.5 - 3 hours.
Add another hour to get to the water near Oxnard, up 101. Where the accessible beach that I’ve know of starts.
Do you have any accessible beach areas nearby that I missed ?
I prefer my beach to be near the water.
I don’t know where he parks at the beach but every time my buddy goes to Cali that’s where he goes to stay. Never stays at a truck stop in SoCal. Of course he lived there for many years, so I guess he would know where to go to stay incognito.

Reactions: DollarSign

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Head over to the Beach ?
Care to explain ?
There’s a little campground, on the beach, just West of LAX. I think 38’ spaces. Also, Ontario to LAX is often 2.5 - 3 hours.
Add another hour to get to the water near Oxnard, up 101. Where the accessible beach that I’ve know of starts.
I don’t know where he parks at the beach but every time my buddy goes to Cali that’s where he goes to stay. Never stays at a truck stop in SoCal. Of course he lived there for many years, so I guess he would know where to go to stay incognito.

Did he have an ex wife in the area ?

If so, maybe you misunderstood him when he said he’d go see the “beach.”

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you go one block south of the TA and Petro and take a left on East Airport Road (heading east), and go about 4 miles (it becomes Slover Avenue about half way), on the left is the North American Truck Stop and the Three Sisters Truck Stop. Next door to the west is a Penske Truck rental place, and next door to the east is a Rush Truck Center.

It's a rat hole, but it's a quick and easy, no-hassle place to park a van for a day or so.

Reactions: billg27

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That’s the NW corner of Slover and Cherry. I-10 to Cherry, turn South.
Rush is on the corner and you find the rest as you head west.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That’s the NW corner of Slover and Cherry. I-10 to Cherry, turn South.
Rush is on the corner and you find the rest as you head west.
Yeah, Cherry! Thanks. I couldn't remember that. I kept thinking Sherry, but I knew that wasn't right.

It's a place where drivers swap out their personal cars for their bobtails, and visa versa. I've been there 3 times. Gone in there and parked for a day or a night, never been bothered. Like I said, a rat hole, clean and spiffy it ain't. It's like the worst truck stops in Canada <snicker>. It's old school truck stop. But it's easy in and easy out, no hassles. Truck wash back in there, too.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The J fuel stop (or it's employees) in Mississauga (west Toronto) is doing the selling spots for local drivers thing. Considering there are only about a dozen or so spots, they are almost always gone. Also, if you do find an empty spot you will very likely find someone blocking you in when you wake up. Luckily for me it was an employee, the Matrix guy beside was completely blocked in...and had an appointment. I've been to a few J's now that suddenly seem to be full of daycab bobtails and cars that look like truckers cars. Maybe this is the revenue replacement for the old fuel scam they got busted for.

Turtle, you'll be happy <snort> to know the salmonella/e coli self serve buffets know as the 5th Wheel chain of truck stops up here is completely gone. Yes you can roll the dice and try eating or showering at a Husky (the fur covered showers in Windsor are my fave!) but the largest chain up here now is good ole FJ...and even the one in Mississauga is spotlessly clean inside. The customers....not so much.

Reactions: RoadTime and Turtle

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Head over to the Beach ?
Care to explain ?

Did he have an ex wife in the area ?

If so, maybe you misunderstood him when he said he’d go see the “beach.”
No it was actually during his crusing days.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just found out that the charging for parking in front at the Petro in Ca is a test site. Travel centers of America is going to roll it out nationwide, just Ontario is the test site.
So expeditors plan on paying at all TAs and Petros in the future.
Myself, I’ll talk with my wallet and refuse to purchase anything from them. In the future. I know I’m just a drop in the bucket compared to big trucks, but I could care less.