Beware the Landstar $100 Walmart Gift Card

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Beware the Landstar $100 Free Walmart Gift Card.

Don't let this happen to you!

I called Landstar last week to talk to a recruiter, after not getting a prior email response.

Surprise, I've been selected to receive a free $100 dollar Walmart gift card. Wow, this really is a great company.
After my call was transferred, they got my info and was informed there would be a $1.99 charge to process and would receive it in 4 days.

Ok, No problem ;)

Then I had to re-verify my info for a $4.99 shipping charge. I thought I must of misheard the $1.99, but still that will work.

I asked straight out if this was some kind of offer where I had to cancel something or there was re-billing or anything like that. Oh No, was the reply. You do not have to do anything, there is no further charges, and the Walmart card comes per-authorized all ready to use.

What happened next was listening to a series of different offers which I had to decline each time. After a while, I was asked yet again to verify my information for the $4.99 charge o_O

After 20mins of being bounced back and forth between the automated messages and the Live phone operator saying just one more thing (funny he said that at the beginning), I got completely frustrated and hung up. I received a return call but ignored it. In hind sight, I should have answered and said forget about your dang gift card!

Thankfully, I was home to clean up what transpired, receiving my information today.

During the Live fast talking, auto messages, and re-verifying attempts, this is what I ended up with...

Unbeknownst to me, I signed up for 2 different services at $4.99 each.

Auto discounts that came with a free 10 day trial, then I would be billed $38.95 a month.
Financial Achiever Pro- 14-day free trial then billed $59.95 a month :eek:
Financial Achiever Pro turned out to be the one where I may be able to use a gift card, If I earned enough points. There was no flat out free $100 Walmart gift card as offered.

Had I not of been home to cancel this crap, I would have been charged over $100 altogether.
Yeah, I feel pretty stupid over this. And will have to eat the $9.90 for trusting that Landstar would not be outright lying to me.

I called back latter to see if I would be "selected again", I wasn't.

Now the bigger question. Why the hell would Landstar be apart of this?

I have to believe that Landstar is not directly in control of this, but for some reason is utilizing the service for a piece of the pie.

This has left a very bad taste in my mouth when I think of Landstar now :bsflag:

Reactions: purgoose10

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You might want to clarify if this is a cut n paste, or if it's a genuine first person account, where you are openly admitting in front of God, John and everybody that you were emailing and calling Landstar Recruiting in an attempt to lease your vintage antique Sprinter with them.

Reactions: Grizzly

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You might want to clarify if this is a cut n paste, or if it's a genuine first person account, where you are openly admitting in front of God, John and everybody that you were emailing and calling Landstar Recruiting in an attempt to lease your vintage antique Sprinter with them.

LOL! I figured that may be coming :D

It was a first person account, but not for any 4 wheeled creatures :JC-hysterical:

Reactions: jelliott and Turtle

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I worked for a company years ago with a department devoted to the type of thing you got caught in.

While I can't see how landstar would gain from it, it seems I've once experienced something similar with a truck company.

The key is focus on your purpose for calling them, alas you were side tracked.
As revealed once your shanghaied into the "upsell" zone it's hard to get free.
It's been known to trap "victims" for over an hour.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Did you have valid contact info for Landstar ?
I heard a year or so ago that some scammer opened up another Landstar and was ripping people off.

Reactions: RoadTime

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Now that's interesting??? Only takes a digit to get routed elsewhere that's for sure.
Still generally if it's "free", it seldom is.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did you have valid contact info for Landstar ?
I heard a year or so ago that some scammer opened up another Landstar and was ripping people off.

Good point. But yes it was a valid number. When I called back with the same number, got through to right person without the "Congratulations you have been selected" free offer announcement.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Can you scan back far enough to see if you hit the right digits last week.
Couldn’t figure out if you actually talked to Landstar last week and then got transferred, or if you immediately got transferred to the scammers.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you scan back far enough to see if you hit the right digits last week.
Couldn’t figure out if you actually talked to Landstar last week and then got transferred, or if you immediately got transferred to the scammers.

Just verified the number I used from the official Landstar site. Offer announcement came on first after Landstar greeting message with options for departments. I asked recruiting about the offer, and then was transferred to "her manager" after getting my name and mailing address.

Hansen Josif

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Hi drivers can any one have info on land star Straight truck division working for in owner how fright is moving are they buzzy or not it's hard to leave the cat to the star any info will be appropriate drive safe

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums