payload for 2500 promaster high roof extended?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I cannot find a straight answer online or maybe I can and I'm retarded. What weight can an empty 2500 promaster high roof ext haul? not sure if it varies by year, but a general number is good. I know the 3500 is about 4400 and some change, but seems like I'm seeing plenty more 2500s for sale and at better prices, so if its not a big difference id rather buy one of those. Also are there any other differences between the two? if anyone wants to weigh on on the transits payload for their high roof ext 2500 vs 3500 id be interested in hearing that as well.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First off ... throw the Dealers or Automakers specs out the window as far as Cargo weight available ... those specs are flash numbers and set up for Carpet layers , Plumbers , Construction companies , for Short hauls ...
Understand these Vans were NOT made for Expediting ...
We used them for it ... but they are made for short delivery jobs..
You need to weigh your van , full tank of gas , all personal items inside , and you ... now minus this from GVW ... boom ... available cargo weight. ...
My 2014 PM 2500
available cargo weight: 3300 lbs ... but i will not put more than 3000 lbs inside
My (2) 2017 PM 3500
available cargo weight : 3360 lbs.. but 3000 lbs is limit

I will not Overload my vans for any shipper...
Just my Opinion

another day .. another pond

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
First off ... throw the Dealers or Automakers specs out the window as far as Cargo weight available ... those specs are flash numbers and set up for Carpet layers , Plumbers , Construction companies , for Short hauls ...
Understand these Vans were NOT made for Expediting ...
We used them for it ... but they are made for short delivery jobs..
You need to weigh your van , full tank of gas , all personal items inside , and you ... now minus this from GVW ... boom ... available cargo weight. ...
My 2014 PM 2500
available cargo weight: 3300 lbs ... but i will not put more than 3000 lbs inside
My (2) 2017 PM 3500
available cargo weight : 3360 lbs.. but 3000 lbs is limit

I will not Overload my vans for any shipper...
Just my Opinion

another day .. another pond
I'm aware of that, my question is coming from how much total more weight can a 3500 haul over a 2500. Both would have the same extra weight as far as myself, personal supplies, gas, etc.

Reactions: Grizzly

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Go to the Dodge website and look for the GVWR of both the 3500 and 2500, in the length and height you are interested in. The difference between the two weights will give you a ballpark payload difference. Add a few options like a diesel engine and the payload will be reduced.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Go to the Dodge website and look for the GVWR of both the 3500 and 2500, in the length and height you are interested in. The difference between the two weights will give you a ballpark payload difference. Add a few options like a diesel engine and the payload will be reduced.
I did look on there, but I didn't see anything about payload, I guess I need to subtract the curb weight (which also isn't on there) from the GVWR. The max payload when I drove for on owner was clear on the door sticker, I don't see why this is so far to find for me.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Yeah I just found the chart I was looking for idk why I couldn't find it earlier....

payload is only about 300lbs more for the 3500 = I'm buying a 2500.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah I just found the chart I was looking for idk why I couldn't find it earlier....

300 lbs. in an expediting cargo van is a big difference. Also there could be a difference in components like brakes etc.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching

300 lbs. in an expediting cargo van is a big difference. Also there could be a difference in components like brakes etc.
yes I understand that everything you had to the van effects the payload.

Ive driven promasters for like a year, both were in a 3500, I had about 3300 payload after everything, I don't remember the exact number, sticker payload was 4400. So if everything was the same but in a 2500, the payload would have been about 3100. I can only think of maybe 4 or 5 loads that I could have taken with the 3500 and not the 2500. If it was the same price and availability sure, those 300lbs extra are useful, but there is like 7 3500s for sale in a 250 mile radius from me, and theres like 40 2500s. They are also considerably less money respective to their year and mileage. Ill sacrifice 5 runs a year for that. JMO

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
A (to some) key difference is the ratio of the transaxle. The 1500 & 2500 are the same, the 3500 is lower. Specifically what I do not know. As a guess I'd say along the lines of 3.90 vs 4.11
Translate that as you will as it may or may not be relevant to you.

Last edited:

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
When I looked at the promaster a few years ago the extended length was not available on the 2500. I would have gone with the longer one even if it cost more. If you don't buy the longest van available you will be kicking yourself in the behind often in a few years. Been there done that.

That was a few years ago, they could be offering the extended in a 2500 now but I haven't looked.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Moot

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
Expect the the plastic connector between the crank shaft and the flywheel to go bad between 80,000 and 85,000 miles. It happened to everyone of our 2500-3500 Promasters at Yark Auto. I now drive a Nissan. 217,000 miles and still running strong.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
When I looked at the promaster a few years ago the extended length was not available on the 2500. I would have gone with the longer one even if it cost more. If you don't buy the longest van available you will be kicking yourself in the behind often in a few years. Been there done that.

That was a few years ago, they could be offering the extended in a 2500 now but I haven't looked.

They have the extended 2500 now, this wouldn't even be a thread if they didn't, definitely need that 12 feet.

Reactions: FlyingVan

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Expect the the plastic connector between the crank shaft and the flywheel to go bad between 80,000 and 85,000 miles. It happened to everyone of our 2500-3500 Promasters at Yark Auto. I now drive a Nissan. 217,000 miles and still running strong.
I would be all over a Nissan if they made them longer. And I'm definitely going to be finding a promaster with a bumper to bumper warranty of at least 100k miles hopefully more so I'm not breaking the bank paying for things that go wrong quickly like this.

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

They have the extended 2500 now, this wouldn't even be a thread if they didn't, definitely need that 12 feet.

Got a link to one ? I can't find any evidence this is so.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Longer Nissan, I could go for that! Been sitting in one last couple days.
(staying warm, he idles).

It's got real leg room!!! & Much space for these feets (12's)! I'm impressed

Cold as crap on the tundra round here. Yet I keep turning green instead of normal blue?!?

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Cold as crap on the tundra round here. Yet I keep turning green instead of normal blue?!?

U part iguana

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Nissan nv400 ... they've had it oversees for awhile now. I don't know why they don't bring that thing over already ...

I've always thought it would attract buyers of American vans looking for better quality & Sprinter buyers looking for a more cost competitive option.

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: ntimevan