Pilot at exit 51 I-285 S

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have a pick up in the morning and saw a Pilot at exit 51 off of I-285 on south side of Atlanta. Was thinking of heading over there for the night because p/u is 3 mi away. What say you? Good, bad, safe, or unsafe. Just trying to make it easier dealing with the morning traffic.

Reactions: DollarSign

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It’s a popular place for the locals to get beer and Newports. If you get up in the night to pee, make sure you’re head’s in the game before you get out of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: RedBird

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Have a pick up in the morning and saw a Pilot at exit 51 off of I-285 on south side of Atlanta. Was thinking of heading over there for the night because p/u is 3 mi away. What say you? Good, bad, safe, or unsafe. Just trying to make it easier dealing with the morning traffic.
I've stayed there before. You should be fine. There usually two security officers there to patrol and watch for thing's. Ive never been bothered there, but I've always kept my guard up!

APMECHANIC

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cool's are an alternative , beer as in malt liqueur . Pee bottle for the night hours .

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Stayed there once, alarm went off 0825. Five rounds 9mm, nobody moving yet I know what I heard.
0833 trucks pouring out as police pounce.
Needless to say I bailed right with them. Never went back.

Reactions: JerzyVan79

schwanman

Expert Expediter
I've stayed there before. You should be fine. There usually two security officers there to patrol and watch for thing's. Ive never been bothered there, but I've always kept my guard up!
Security is usually a sign to move out further. Just me....

Reactions: JerzyVan79

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
A sign of the times that will only get worse. Rent-A-Cops mostly but sometimes real cops. Stay in the truck after dark.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app
Some real cops work off duty gigs, pays good and especially on details where there's high crime areas. I used to be a police officer in the metro Atlanta area. That area particularly south Atlanta along I-285 is nasty at best. Suggest like someone else advised, move out further for your own safety. South Clayton County, Henry County, Rockdale County pretty safe to stay in Walmart locations. None of the truckstops in Atlanta area are very safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: RoadTime

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Some real cops work off duty gigs, pays good and especially on details where there's high crime areas. I used to be a police officer in the metro Atlanta area. That area particularly south Atlanta along I-285 is nasty at best. Suggest like someone else advised, move out further for your own safety. South Clayton County, Henry County, Rockdale County pretty safe to stay in Walmart locations. None of the truckstops in Atlanta area are very safe.

When working off duty do they wear their uniform and weapon?

TSXpress2015

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I stayed up that way over a month ago. Never left the truck. The other week I delivered in that area and shot down to the Walmart to park. Not a fan of Atlanta layovers at all.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
When working off duty do they wear their uniform and weapon?

Depends on the agency you work for! ie, If you work an off duty gig in your own jurisdiction, then your allowed to wear your department uniform. But if you work a detail outside your jurisdiction, you wear a uniform with generic police patches or a tactical uniform with police identification. You always carry your weapon that you qualify with at the range that you carry on duty.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I stay in the Petro on the other side often. You don't go there if you're flaky in any manner.
Guard up @ all times.
As redbird said; they're not safe. But then many of the Walmarts are not safe either.
The ATL is to be endured, never enjoyed.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I stay in the Petro on the other side often. You don't go there if you're flaky in any manner.
Guard up @ all times.
As redbird said; they're not safe. But then many of the Walmarts are not safe either.
The ATL is to be endured, never enjoyed.
I've stayed at that Petro. The Iron Skillet has pretty good food. Across the street from the Petro there's alot of drugs and criminal activity going on there. You must keep your guard up!

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks guys for your replies. After making op went inside of Pilot at exit 129 off of 85 and asked management about that location. They said not a good location to stay at, so I stayed right where I was and left out in the morning for pickup.