Pilot at exit 51 I-285 S

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines
I've stayed there numerous times. Every now and then you hear gun shots....occasional fight in the parking lot. But I don't let it bother me.

I go for food, go for walks, etc. During which I'm carrying my Glock in my pocket.

Just be smart, and have a plan.

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Flying Van and I were at the west side Petro when a beat up cargo van pulled up with a gangster looking crew. Driver approached us first and asked, What are you doing? Like we were Busting Ry-mes and throwing dice! We both were a taken back, when he flashed a ATL. Police Badge! Under-cover cops!

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Flying Van and I were at the west side Petro when a beat up cargo van pulled up with a gangster looking crew. Driver approached us first and asked, What are you doing? Like we were Busting Ry-mes and throwing dice! We both were a taken back, when he flashed a ATL. Police Badge! Under-cover cops!

R u sure it was real cops lol but nothing surprises me in atl anymore

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

gflight

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
We have been to this Pilot during the day time, and didn't feel it was that safe. Knew then that this was not the place to spend the night.

JerzyVan79

New Recruit
Driver
Old post I know but, I would ask if you ever just waited at pickup location and/or would have been able to wait at said location? I have slept many times at receivers parking lot for a few hours at night in my van usually somewhere near the other waiting trucks until ready to unload unless I felt or knew they do not allow waiting as some places have fire code regulations for trucks idling or waiting and assume vans are subject to this same rule?

Reactions: billg27

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Old post I know but, I would ask if you ever just waited at pickup location and/or would have been able to wait at said location? I have slept many times at receivers parking lot for a few hours at night in my van usually somewhere near the other waiting trucks until ready to unload unless I felt or knew they do not allow waiting as some places have fire code regulations for trucks idling or waiting and assume vans are subject to this same rule?

Personally--- I avoid strange parking lots and big trucks idling Allnight by stopping at the last closest rest area with an early morning delivery. They expect you to sleep there, then grab a cup of JAVA on the way before delivery. 2nd opt. google map the business photo, or Walmart. Nothing worst than waking up to a partying crowd using your sprinter to shield camera's view outside your van!

Last edited:

JerzyVan79

New Recruit
Driver
I have waited at a couple receivers overnight and parked wayyy out of the way where it seemed like a good place be out of the way and to wait until they open, only to wake up surrounded and nearly blocked in by employee cars! so, I agree it can be risky in that way but I have had more good results personally waiting at shipper/receiver rather then risk over sleeping after being over tired after a 14hr straight direct run and still have 10-30 miles to drive to get to drop off location due to deciding to park at the nearest truckstop or Wally World parking lot instead. I have only been woken up at a couple Miami truck stops by lot reptiles, beggars or drug dealers and by managers of a few Walmarts and at times asked to leave due to no overnight parking, even tho they did not appear to have any signs stating otherwise. This is personally why I will go to drop off location if it appears to be safe and quiet enough. Worst is when Police bang on your door and you just know they think you are just a homeless person living in a van and seems they rarely know what an Expediter is or what we do which makes it a little bit of an issue explaining.

Craziest thing to happen at a truck stop for us was here in Toledo, OH yesterday afternoon, where some guy who shot and killed 4 people was fleeing from police and, then shot himself in the head after a police chase that started in Detroit and ended here of all places at this Flying Hook, basically right beside our van! We were not even allowed to leave for a few hours due to it being a "Crime Scene" which could have been a real issue should we have had a load to PU or drop!! I feel nowhere is safe and just hope and pray for myself and the other drivers out here and there is really no such thing as a "Safe Place" sadly. Be safe out there and drive safely :)