DKP Express

Big Heart

New Recruit
Researching
Hey guys,
I am new here and new to the expedite business. I am looking at several carriers and talking with a couple of recruiters, but I am unsure as to which one to go with.

The first one that I am looking at is DKP Express out of Minneapolis MN. Does anyone know about this company and what their rep is? How do they treat their drivers? I have some info on the compensation package and will get more info in the next few days. They want to start me out in a 15' box truck with sleeper, starting at .30/mile loaded. .20/mile empty if have to deadhead more than 50 miles. There is more but let me know what you think of this first please.

Second is driving a sprinter for a fleet owner for Premium Transportation. The owner wants to do a 60/40 split of the load, with him covering fuel costs.

Which would be the better deal for me given that All loads offered are taken and delivered on time.

There is a third one that is in the works also but the compensation details are still a little sketchy at this point.

Any info would be most appreciated.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey guys,
I am new here and new to the expedite business. I am looking at several carriers and talking with a couple of recruiters, but I am unsure as to which one to go with.

The first one that I am looking at is DKP Express out of Minneapolis MN. Does anyone know about this company and what their rep is? How do they treat their drivers? I have some info on the compensation package and will get more info in the next few days. They want to start me out in a 15' box truck with sleeper, starting at .30/mile loaded. .20/mile empty if have to deadhead more than 50 miles. There is more but let me know what you think of this first please.

Second is driving a sprinter for a fleet owner for Premium Transportation. The owner wants to do a 60/40 split of the load, with him covering fuel costs.

Which would be the better deal for me given that All loads offered are taken and delivered on time.

There is a third one that is in the works also but the compensation details are still a little sketchy at this point.

Any info would be most appreciated.
I do believe Premium is down to base .75 a mile....since you won't see the FSC....40% of 75 would be?...and they don't usually cough up DH money easily.....the 15 foot box is a Log book situation?...

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do believe Premium is down to base .75 a mile....since you won't see the FSC....40% of 75 would be?...and they don't usually cough up DH money easily.....the 15 foot box is a Log book situation?...
Also ask what type freight they haul & weight of such freight ?
A bare bones 15' box(cube)van has about 2200 lbs of legal cargo weight left available ..
A bare bones 2500 long and tall sprinter has about 2700 lbs of legal cargo weight left available .... of course bare bones means No personal creature comforts like roof AC , battery bank , etc..

another day .. another pond

Reactions: Big Heart

Big Heart

New Recruit
Researching
.the 15 foot box is a Log book situation?...

Not sure if it is log book but they do require dot physical. It is registered under 10k. The pictures of the truck they have sent to me does not show overhead ac or battery bank. The "sleeper" appears to be just a hole cut out just large enough for a small bunk mattress on the floor.

Just found out that they also pay $40 a day for waiting on loads if you have to wait more than 2 days. (not including weekends)

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
.the 15 foot box is a Log book situation?...

Not sure if it is log book but they do require dot physical. It is registered under 10k. The pictures of the truck they have sent to me Mdoes not show overhead ac or battery bank. The "sleeper" appears to be just a hole cut out just large enough for a small bunk mattress on the floor.

Just found out that they also pay $40 a day for waiting on loads if you have to wait more than 2 days. (not including weekends)
With what was presented, I would stay away from DKP. Too many unknowns and a few red flags.
I would check with a few more carriers before making your decision. JMHO.

Big Heart

New Recruit
Researching
Too many unknowns and a few red flags

Ok, What unknowns and what red flags? I have not had a chance to talk to recruiter about the types of loads or the log book situation yet. And the bunk sleeper situation is not as bad as all that. Yeah I know.... "your just starting out and really don't know any better" that is why I am here asking the questions.

has anyone really heard of DKP express? I know that when I go to their website a map pops up of the different terminals that they have so I did not think that this company was too obscure. Still though even known companies can have a bad rap. Some deserve it while others do not.

Personally I was thinking that this was a pretty good deal and the way ntimevan and OntarioVanMan are talking it sounds like they agree unless I completely miss read what was posted.

Thank you for your comment though and as stated I am looking at a couple of other companies also but this is the one that I am really interested in. So please if there are some obvious things that I am not seeing please let me know.

Thanks

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Ok, What unknowns and what red flags? I have not had a chance to talk to recruiter about the types of loads or the log book situation yet. And the bunk sleeper situation is not as bad as all that. Yeah I know.... "your just starting out and really don't know any better" that is why I am here asking the questions.

has anyone really heard of DKP express? I know that when I go to their website a map pops up of the different terminals that they have so I did not think that this company was too obscure. Still though even known companies can have a bad rap. Some deserve it while others do not.

Personally I was thinking that this was a pretty good deal and the way ntimevan and OntarioVanMan are talking it sounds like they agree unless I completely miss read what was posted.

Thank you for your comment though and as stated I am looking at a couple of other companies also but this is the one that I am really interested in. So please if there are some obvious things that I am not seeing please let me know.

Thanks
Just reading your post tells me that for one thing a 15 ft box truck is going to be a logging truck because it is probably on a 12300 or 14000 lb frame and have dual tires. As was said it wouldn’t be able to carry more than 2000+lbs total to stay under 10000 lbs. With that being said, logging would still be required because it is determined by total gvw of truck. Sleeper was mentioned as a whole in the wall with a bed. There are specific regulations for a DOT sleeper. I was told by somebody else that this company is owned by Eastern Europeans. Hopefully they run compliant under DOT rules as a lot of these companies are shady and sidestep a lot of the rules with incorrect Ins on vehicle and the list goes on. Not squeaky clean enough in my book.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Thanks
Just reading your post tells me that for one thing a 15 ft box truck is going to be a logging truck because it is probably on a 12300 or 14000 lb frame and have dialogue tires. As was said it wouldn’t be able to carry more than 2000+lbs total to stay under 10000 lbs. With that being said, logging would still be required because it is determined by total gvw of truck. Sleeper was mentioned as a whole in the wall with a bed. There are specific regulations for a DOT sleeper. I was told by somebody else that this company is owned by Eastern Europeans. Hopefully they run compliant under DOT rules as a lot of these companies are shady and sidestep a lot of the rules with incorrect Ins on vehicle and the list goes on. Not squeaky clean enough in my book.
There is a pic of box truck from DKP in the driver needed ads

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Thanks
I believe it an average deal in today’s market... best of luck to ya!

Big Heart

New Recruit
Researching
Thank you all for all your replies. OntarioVanMan thank you for the encouragement. I will keep my eyes open and my feet on the floorboard. I will do my best to be aware of what is going on and the conditions of the contracts.

I will keep in mind all that was said here and ask the questions that need to be asked.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan