Cargo Van Time for a high top

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When you weigh it empty but with you, your gear and a full tank of fuel you may well be surprised how much weight is on the front end. Also, the axles will be rated for different weights...so it isn't at all like loading a trailer (that has tandems under each end).

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Do you guys really worry about weight per axle ?

Or do you just Load so the van handles more to your taste ? Which is probably close to being correct ?

Or another way, would you slightly overload one end or the other if it handled better in your opinion ?

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Actually it is very necessary (to some). MPG, braking, handling are all effected by where the load sits in the vehicle. How hard the drive line works to move the vehicle (wear & tear). Poorly loaded vehicles impact driver comfort as well (fatigue). Books and manuals published in the name of safety are everywhere on this subject.
An empty scale ticket gets you started as a base. Periodic scaling of different loads (weights & placement checks) help you find the sweet spot for your vehicle.

In closing I know a guy (van) pulled over for possible DWI, trooper saw "load on tail". Led him to a place to "reload" freight properly. Cost $40 vs what $400 or more? Guy was grateful for the break the trooper gave him.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you guys really worry about weight per axle ?

Or do you just Load so the van handles more to your taste ? Which is probably close to being correct ?

Or another way, would you slightly overload one end or the other if it handled better in your opinion ?
I don't worry about weight per axle but why overload either axle resulting in excessive component wear and handling problems.

With nearly 6' of cargo floor behind the rear axle, the extended length Transit requires some thought when loading. This doesn't necessarily mean placing the load between the two axles. I like to look at the freight before loading. With multiple pallets at different weights I determine the order the pallets should be loaded for the best weight distribution.

My greatest dislike about the Transit is the short wheelbase/long box. I knew that going into the purchase and knew I would have to deal with it. Another 18-20 inches in wheelbase sure would be nice though! As an expediter I prefer the ease of loading/weight distribution and ride characteristics that a longer wheelbase provides. But as expediters we are in the minority. Most tradespeople and people movers opt for maneuverability of a short wheelbase van.

For 40 years Ford built the extended Econoline on the regular length wheelbase. Why change with the Transit?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Seriously, how big of a job would moving the axle back be ?
They do it on class 8s every day.
You’d have a little body work.
Or elongate the wheel well and put an air ride tag up front.
It’d be slick. A tag and no FET.

Road Pirate

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just waiting on my authority....stuck between a 350 highroof extended or 250 med roof....is the 350 really worth the extra money? I'll be towing a car now and again, also.

Road Pirate

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 250 and 350 both have the 3.5 EcoBooster...obviously mpg is different per roof lines too........i used to drive for an LTL company, so i know skid dims are usually not correct....but what are your setups? I feel a 350, med roof, xl would be the "standard" choice....

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
30 mpg will be the new standard on the 2019 Sprinter if you can wait until late 2018, offering 4 different lengths.

Road Pirate

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am going with the Transit because of service concerns....ford dealerships all around....i wanted a sprinter, but my service guy at ford told me he can put a factory econo tune that wont void the warranty....really, just looking for ease of operation...i do not, and have not been an abuser of equipment.... I would watch guys at my LTL company blast curbs all day long and not give a crap... this will also be my daily driver when I'm home.... I looked at the ram but thought it was stupid to have front wheel drive with rear loading cargo... my minivan gets around terrible in the snow. Sprinters are definitely the Cadillacs of these cv's, tho.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
I am going with the Transit because of service concerns....ford dealerships all around....i wanted a sprinter, but my service guy at ford told me he can put a factory econo tune that wont void the warranty....really, just looking for ease of operation...i do not, and have not been an abuser of equipment.... I would watch guys at my LTL company blast curbs all day long and not give a crap... this will also be my daily driver when I'm home.... I looked at the ram but thought it was stupid to have front wheel drive with rear loading cargo... my minivan gets around terrible in the snow. Sprinters are definitely the Cadillacs of these cv's, tho.
I thought the same way until I drove a promaster. Frieght on the tail (easy load-unload). Front wheel drive excellent in rain and snow.

Reactions: ntimevan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I thought the same way until I drove a promaster. Frieght on the tail (easy load-unload). Front wheel drive excellent in rain and snow.
Realistically, most of the time with long Transit I put freight within forklift reach. If it's a 1 skid load it is usually 1000# or less and I put it 2 ft in from tail. If multiple skids I position with heavier skid in front of rear axle.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: ntimevan