Dodge Promaster vs Ford Transit

Dghnc4

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Everyone,

We owned a 2005 Dodge Sprinter Van for many years. Finally had to let her go when they couldn’t figure out the modules and sensors that we kept replacing. It was a good vehicle allowing us 650k miles on the engine. We have drove for a couple owners but are thinking we want to go back to being an owner operator. We have kinda steered away from the Sprinters because of all the DEF issues the newer models were having. Not sure if that has been corrected or not.
We are looking to purchase a new/newer van. 2015-2017. We have looked at the Dodge Promaster 3500 and the Ford Transit 350. Any input on reliability, problems, repairs would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Reactions: billg27

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You really do not need an answer.
Everything has been discussed in many previous threads.
You’ll find many hours of reading if you search back alittle.

One thing is obvious, don’t try to use a Transit as an amphibious vehicle without first doing major mods.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just my thinking ... i really like my Promasters.... But a used Cargo type PM would throw up Red Flags to me as to why did previous owner trade it back in ... mechanical problems . ? Talk to previous owner... get mechanical history...

... still pond hopping

Reactions: Turtle

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Just my thinking ... i really like my Promasters.... But a used Cargo type PM would throw up Red Flags to me as to why did previous owner trade it back in ... mechanical problems . ? Talk to previous owner... get mechanical history...

... still pond hopping
I hear there are a lot of vans that we're caught in a flood

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Drove a promaster for a day while sprinter was in the shop. Didn’t care for the step down into the cargo area from the drivers compartment. Also didn’t like the small space between the front seats. Too tight for my liking. Also was not impressed with the captains chair not being comfortable. The van rode and handled fine. But just not for me. JMHO.

Now for the transit have not yet had the chance to test drive one. Maybe one day.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Drove a promaster for a day while sprinter was in the shop. Didn’t care for the step down into the cargo area from the drivers compartment. Also didn’t like the small space between the front seats. Too tight for my liking. Also was not impressed with the captains chair not being comfortable. The van rode and handled fine. But just not for me. JMHO.

Now for the transit have not yet had the chance to test drive one. Maybe one day.
I like the step down as it helps keep center of Gravity lower on taller pallets .. also as a Final stop to protect driver from shifting freight ...
My 2014 PM seats were more comfortable than 2017's seats .. so seat comfort needs improved ... space between front 2 seats is tight .. some remove passenger seat .. i just move passenger seat forward and lean back rest forward to allow easier passage between seats ...

... still pond hopping

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Makes you wonder why dodge didn't keep the engine they use in Europe in it?
As I recall the 3.6 pentastar isn't that good in their cars. Likewise fraught with problems.