O/O question

bfry38

Expert Expediter
Driver
US Marines
Ok, first off I have my Class A CDL. I have been pretty much local/regional. I had my own truck back in 2013 hauling containers which I hated! I was looking at buying a semi again. I never considered expediting, but I started hearing about some good rates, etc... I have money saved up for break downs, fuel, etc... my question to you guys is this. I know it's preference and there is good and bad about everything, but who stays the busiest and pays the most? Atleast majority of the time? I see a ton of Fedex CC, Panther, V3, Load1, Bolt Express, etc... like I said I have experience and money saved and I know all about the O/O life, etc... I don't know as much from the expediter point though. Thank you everyone!!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know it's preference and there is good and bad about everything, but who stays the busiest and pays the most? Atleast majority of the time? I see a ton of Fedex CC, Panther, V3, Load1, Bolt Express, etc...

Warning: The following is an opinion from an ignorant van driver.

Some carriers pay more per mile, some have higher fuel surcharges, some have trailer fees, some pay all deadhead miles etc. But at the end of the year I believe one's gross income would be close among the carriers you mentioned. If you are running solo maybe you should ask which carrier is the most solo oriented.

bfry38

Expert Expediter
Driver
US Marines
I know it's preference and there is good and bad about everything, but who stays the busiest and pays the most? Atleast majority of the time? I see a ton of Fedex CC, Panther, V3, Load1, Bolt Express, etc...

Warning: The following is an opinion from an ignorant van driver.

Some carriers pay more per mile, some have higher fuel surcharges, some have trailer fees, some pay all deadhead miles etc. But at the end of the year I believe one's gross income would be close among the carriers you mentioned. If you are running solo maybe you should ask which carrier is the most solo oriented.
Thanks, very true! I'm a idiot and was tired when I wrote that lol. Like I said I know quite a bit about the tractor trailer side of things, but expediting not so much.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would suggest calling recruiters from the list of carriers you mentioned and of course ask the standard questions about pay, etc. Some carriers like Load One and XPO have truckload divisions with XPO also having an LTL company. Ask if you can pull for their other divisions when expedite is slow or you end up in an expedite unfriendly area of the country. Panther offers access to load boards where you can book your own load but they get a percentage.

Do some research and calling around and then ask specific question here like: Does Bolt charge a trailer fee? Was the second head on Panther's logo surgically removed or did it just fall off? Should I heed advice from a van driver?

bfry38

Expert Expediter
Driver
US Marines
I would suggest calling recruiters from the list of carriers you mentioned and of course ask the standard questions about pay, etc. Some carriers like Load One and XPO have truckload divisions with XPO also having an LTL company. Ask if you can pull for their other divisions when expedite is slow or you end up in an expedite unfriendly area of the country. Panther offers access to load boards where you can book your own load but they get a percentage.

Do some research and calling around and then ask specific question here like: Does Bolt charge a trailer fee? Was the second head on Panther's logo surgically removed or did it just fall off? Should I heed advice from a van driver?
Thank you, I def appreciate it! I will call around and see what's going on. Thanks again, and be safe out there.

Reactions: Moot