My Promaster 3500 repair.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good job, some shops do care about fixing the problem. Some become the problem.

Wiser words are seldom spoken.
I believe a lot of issues with current engines are poor repairs. Once somebody does a bad repair I believe it just compounds the problem.

As far as the OP opening himself up to cheap shots, he's been here long enough to know you can open yourself up to cheap shots here just by saying Good Morning.

Thanks for posting this.
It's good to hear about good dealer visits.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Good job, some shops do care about fixing the problem. Some become the problem.

Wiser words are seldom spoken.
I believe a lot of issues with current engines are poor repairs. Once somebody does a bad repair I believe it just compounds the problem.

As far as the OP opening himself up to cheap shots, he's been here long enough to know you can open yourself up to cheap shots here just by saying Good Morning.

Thanks for posting this.
It's good to hear about good dealer visits.
Only thick skinned posters allowed on this site! Lol

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
A friend of mine with a 2014 had camshaft replaced at around 130k paid from his pocket, then at a bit over 300k a camshaft (don't remember if it was the same one or not) messed up and destroyed the head, etc. He ended up replacing the whole engine.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
all these cam shafts problems...am wondering if they had thier start from same source as Mark?....one bad part...a bearing like assembly that got run too long..(hearing a ticking noise) and scoring the engine way too deep and hence causing catastrophic failure..?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
all these cam shafts problems...am wondering if they had thier start from same source as Mark?....one bad part...a bearing like assembly that got run too long..(hearing a ticking noise) and scoring the engine way too deep and hence causing catastrophic failure..?
It was good to see for my own eyes ... i couldn't get a good picture of it ...
The Rocker Arm Follower middle bearing went bad .. thus not following true with Cam Shaft and actually causing a groove wearing into cam shaft ... kinda like in old wood shop class in school with the lathe chipping away at block of wood as it spun..

... still pond hopping

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It was good to see for my own eyes ... i couldn't get a good picture of it ...
The Rocker Arm Follower middle bearing went bad .. thus not following true with Cam Shaft and actually causing a groove wearing into cam shaft ... kinda like in old wood shop class in school with the lathe chipping away at block of wood as it spun..

... still pond hopping
And the longer one drives on it... deeper the groove until it garbage
So would you say.... hear the ticking, Park it asap and get it repaired ?

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
The person I knew that had the 2014 Promaster, I think he was putting too much weight on the van even though he was legal. Dont know for sure, just my opinion.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The person I knew that had the 2014 Promaster, I think he was putting too much weight on the van even though he was legal. Dont know for sure, just my opinion.
I drove with one guy and he was like a power driver...had his foot into the accelerator so hard the torque convertor wouldn't change gears...taking off from lights like a drag racer...you could feel the transmission groaning...

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just a thought ..
I wander just how heavy cargo weight some haul (my limit 3000 lbs) i have been told by several 4000 lbs is common for them ... and driving speeds ( me. 68 to 69 mph) several claim 75 to 80 mph is all contributing to early breakdowns ... whether its Promasters , Transits ,or Sprinters i am sure we all are surprised how fast some are going when they pass us ... really getting to Laredo a hour before me is going to help you get out faster ... ?
Abusing a vehicle to make a quick buck is going to cost you later in repairs ...
I don't pay the gas in my other 2 PMs ... but i do monitor the MPG and i know the Speeds driven ... and the drivers understand my reasoning... you are not Abusing my van ..

... still pond hopping

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
While these failures may just be a bad batch of parts with crappy metallurgy, I think the other nugget of good info here is ntime's oil and service intervals. So many of the OEM oil recommendations now are all about fuel economy...meaning the vehicle manufacturer meets its target CAFE standard...specifying thin oils in everything they sell adds up to some precious (for them) fuel economy gains. A 5W20 oil is thin...damn thin...especially for high mileage high load use like expediting...and if that's what RAM wants me to run in a Promaster I would be doing the same thing as ntime...using the best full synthetic I could find. Cam and valvetrain wear is the new weak link in most engines. It is a high load and not very well lubricated area. It's moving into the diesel world too...the new FA-4 rated oils that allow an engine to meet the new EPA greenhouse gas rules...are quite a lot thinner than oils of old (even though the xWxx number on the jug may be the same). As such...fleets are staying away from it in droves.

GuyUpNorth

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know a driver that had a 2014 Promaster and had numerous engine work done to it. Now granted the first two times Dodge paid for it, but after that it came out of his pocket. We all know about the 2014.
I had cams, lifters, rocker arms and cylinder heads all done before 100,000 miles. Work was done at Zeigler Chrysler in Plainwell. All work that was performed included 2yr./unlimited mile warranty. I also had my transmission go recently at 140,000 miles. That cost me $5000 with the same 2yr./unlimited mile warranty. I have the 2014 Promaster.

Reactions: ntimevan

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A friend stopped over my house for thanksgiving, she drives a promaster it was ticking like crazy, she said it started about 200k but it has 370 on it now still the same. I know that I sounds bad but might not be worth actually fixing it.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: ntimevan