2017 Ford Transit Rear Differential Problems

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would have thought WOM would have a floating differential.

FYI: a floating differential can handle more weight than a semi-floating or a non-floating differential.
That's true.

Trust me.

Reactions: VSprinter

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know that I have a (constantly) floating bladder

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app
95c3e5dfb9a19c9634ef219395783709.gif

Made me think of you ..

my Poking sticks are donated by OVM Mfg. of Bison , SD.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My understanding is an F150 engine in front of a European transmission on a Sprinter drive train??

if it was a sprinter drive train you wouldn't have had the problems....I have the original differential rear end and even axle seal....had 1 drive shaft in 1.2 million miles and I changed it out on my own...who knows when it would have till it broke down...just saying...

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
if it was a sprinter drive train you wouldn't have had the problems....I have the original differential rear end and even axle seal....had 1 drive shaft in 1.2 million miles and I changed it out on my own...who knows when it would have till it broke down...just saying...
I should have said, as I was told, Ford "copied" the European drive train design but made cost saving (for them) modifications. I repeat, I get by on my good looks, not my mechanical knowledge

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I should have said, as I was told, Ford "copied" the European drive train design but made cost saving (for them) modifications. I repeat, I get by on my good looks, not my mechanical knowledge

yes they did...the North American engineers did many modifications to the under side...hence 2 yrs to come to market from Europe....where as the Dodge came almost intact..they just cloned the European assembly plant in Mexico and zooomm....BUT American driving is very different then European...thats the fly in the ointment I think

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

yes they did...the North American engineers did many modifications to the under side...hence 2 yrs to come to market from Europe....where as the Dodge came almost intact..they just cloned the European assembly plant in Mexico and zooomm....BUT American driving is very different then European...thats the fly in the ointment I think
53cf8a026f21dd22b2c470a14963d63f.jpg

my Poking sticks are donated by OVM Mfg. of Bison , SD.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
My transit did this also, bad bearing & axle seals (so far). Got rid of a sprinter for excessive maintenance. Seems I just traded 1 problem for another.
The sawdust was to keep em quiet til you sell it. A used car sales trick.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
The Transit is unreliable, the Sprinter still has glow plug problems, Dodge,really a Fiat in disguise has a transmission part made of plastic that fails every 30K, and headlights that last one month, so none of these vehicles are as reliable as the 5.4L Ford E 350. So bottom line with these new high cube vans, you will be spending more money for repairs because they just aren't built as good.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
I don't know why these companies even bother building these trucks? They should have come to you for advice and saved their money.
The Transit is unreliable, the Sprinter still has glow plug problems, Dodge,really a Fiat in disguise has a transmission part made of plastic that fails every 30K, and headlights that last one month, so none of these vehicles are as reliable as the 5.4L Ford E 350. So bottom line with these new high cube vans, you will be spending more money for repairs because they just aren't built as good.

Reactions: ntimevan

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Info on plastic part for promaster trans please.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don’t know what your talking about. Glow plug problems? Never had any problems with mine. Just changed mine out recently at around 615000 miles only 2012 Sprinter. Changed all 6 of them. Easy out and easy in.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Info on plastic part for promaster trans please.
I think he’s confused with the transits gubio problem at 30k mi