EB I-96 closed

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Before the freeway is shut down, a single eastbound lane will be closed from Grand River, MDOT said. Traffic will be shifted to the collector lane at the I-96/US-23 interchange and all vehicles will exit at US-23."

Stop it. Just stop. The term "collector lane" is a Canadian term that, like many Canadian terms, makes no sense. Collector lanes have all the exits so cars can exit the highway, so that the lane can distribute traffic to the exits. Collectors accumulate stuff, not get rid of stuff. Collect: to gather together, assemble, accumulate.

Ironically, the "distributor lanes" have no exits and cannot distribute squat.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
"Before the freeway is shut down, a single eastbound lane will be closed from Grand River, MDOT said. Traffic will be shifted to the collector lane at the I-96/US-23 interchange and all vehicles will exit at US-23."

Stop it. Just stop. The term "collector lane" is a Canadian term that, like many Canadian terms, makes no sense. Collector lanes have all the exits so cars can exit the highway, so that the lane can distribute traffic to the exits. Collectors accumulate stuff, not get rid of stuff. Collect: to gather together, assemble, accumulate.

Ironically, the "distributor lanes" have no exits and cannot distribute squat.
it does make sense...when one does not dissect every terminology..:p it collects traffic from the express lanes and the on ramps....I think "local" lanes would be more appropriate tho... its makes no sense to call them "express lanes" either to be technical...because we know how that works out in major cities...

oh oh...I am on JuJu's computer...:p

Reactions: ntimevan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
it does make sense...when one does not dissect every terminology..:p it collects traffic from the express lanes and the on ramps....I think "local" lanes would be more appropriate tho... its makes no sense to call them "express lanes" either to be technical...because we know how that works out in major cities...

oh oh...I am on JuJu's computer...:p
You Canadians talk so cute and yet somehow Everytime I read "Canadian" I think of a land full of South Park people, Eh?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
it does make sense...when one does not dissect every terminology..:p it collects traffic from the express lanes and the on ramps....I think "local" lanes would be more appropriate tho...
Only a Canadian would even try to make sense of it. The problem with flipping it like to try and have it make sense falls apart with the companion lane, the "distributor lane," because the distributor lane doesn't distribute anything to anywhere. Going from the distributor lane to the collector lane is just changing lanes.

its makes no sense to call them "express lanes" either to be technical...because we know how that works out in major cities...
Express mean direct or fast with very few no intermediate stops. In tall buildings they have local and express elevators. Same thing.