LONGEST PAID DEADHEAD MILES.?

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
Im curious to know what is the longest you deadhead to pick up a load and actually where compensated?

I sent a tractor trailer teams 730 miles to pick up a loads from Michigan to the Carolinas and Alabama and Tennessee for weeks at a time to cover routes inbound to Canada. It was normal for my teams to drive more deadhead miles then actual loaded miles at premium rates

In expedite we charge to the pick up, drop and to re position in cases of routes outside our preferred coverage lanes. Their is no discount for a truck hired to drive empty miles.

Their should never be a lane that does not cover your deadhead to re position.

If a customer wants to hire you to take a load outside your standard coverage area then the customer has to pay the truck to come back to their area.

My coverage was east of the Mississippi and down to the north part of Alabama and no east coast. I was quality of miles not quanity.

Sent from my LGLS990 using EO Forums mobile app

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nearly 800 once. More common 250 - 400. I'll run paid deadhead miles anytime someone wants to pay me to do so.

Reactions: ntimevan

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im curious to know what is the longest you deadhead to pick up a load and actually where compensated?

I sent a tractor trailer teams 730 miles to pick up a loads from Michigan to the Carolinas and Alabama and Tennessee for weeks at a time to cover routes inbound to Canada. It was normal for my teams to drive more deadhead miles then actual loaded miles at premium rates

In expedite we charge to the pick up, drop and to re position in cases of routes outside our preferred coverage lanes. Their is no discount for a truck hired to drive empty miles.

Their should never be a lane that does not cover your deadhead to re position.

If a customer wants to hire you to take a load outside your standard coverage area then the customer has to pay the truck to come back to their area.

My coverage was east of the Mississippi and down to the north part of Alabama and no east coast. I was quality of miles not quanity.

Exactly what year was this? I think that technology & increased capacity has changed this dynamic. Too many players on the field ...

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My carrier seems to treat DH to pickup as loaded miles pricewise....don't know if it is a policy or it just works out that way. 100 to 300 is not uncommon...and my max was I think around 600 once. They also seem to be able to get some $ for DH out of a bad area after a load...not premium rates...but more than fuel money. I like that.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator

I disagree. The customer doesn't have to pay if they don't won't to. They will find someone else. Too many trucks out here today and someone will do it without paid DH. The only way I see it, if someone really wants JD CLARK to handle the load.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I think I've DH 150 to 200 miles. As far as paid goes the customer has paid for some if not all DH. Every load is different.

Reactions: robin280

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Guess it also depends on what you consider your "loaded" rate to be....and maybe how picky you are or aren't at accepting loads....so ya..every load is different.

Also agree with Jon, if a customer wants your company in particular to haul thier freight, they have to pay whatever your terms are. I'm guessing to be able to do that...you need to be hauling premium freight or be providing premium service...or both. It wasn't all that long ago that described a big chunk of this industry. Now.....not so much.

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
Guess it also depends on what you consider your "loaded" rate to be....and maybe how picky you are or aren't at accepting loads....so ya..every load is different.

Also agree with Jon, if a customer wants your company in particular to haul thier freight, they have to pay whatever your terms are. I'm guessing to be able to do that...you need to be hauling premium freight or be providing premium service...or both. It wasn't all that long ago that described a big chunk of this industry. Now.....not so much.
My tractor teams where $3.50 a mile minimum. Busy times up to and pushed $6 per mile. Canadian rates are still classified. Lol

Its not gouging when other carriers are unavailable and you ask your guys to extend their time away from home.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

My tractor teams where $3.50 a mile minimum. Busy times up to and pushed $6 per mile. Canadian rates are still classified. Lol

Its not gouging when other carriers are unavailable and you ask your guys to extend their time away from home.

On my end, Canadian rates have been in the crapper since the exchange rate flipped 2-3 yrs ago.
I miss going up there 5-6 times a year ...

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, times have changed. Yep, that fast ...
Times have not changed. I know that the freight exist. Its a matter of how your company operates.

Making yourself available, staying in front of your customers and treating your drivers right and feeding your core carriers that assist you in your success are the main ingredients in the formula.

Relationships, respect and honesty are still the most important aspects of our industry.

I cant tell you how many times i watch my dispatchers work too hard. Bidding everyload. Sure they knew my company would always be on time and provide quality service but in slow times customers still have to answer for cost so i was not always the 1st choice.

But the difference with me is just a few calls and a couple emails to my customers saved me alot of time because a simple hello how are things looking , hows the family goes a long way in our business.

Communication is absolutely everything from start to finish. And being real and true to your word is important as well.

And it doesnt hurt to have capacity at the end of the day and weekends. I never tried to load my trucks before 5pm . let the rest of the market fight for loads and rates. Once capacity is filled everywhere then its time to turn the phones on.

Its also extremely important to know where freight is moving . what plants are struggling , whos working 1 shift, 2nd shift and 3rd shifts. When are the auto makers launching new products and where are the suppliers shipping from.

And seasonal freight plays into the equation. I dont haul melons but melon season affects market capacity.

Weather like snow storms, hurricanes, train derailments, etc all affect where we placed our assets to make sure we stayed ahead and busy .

There is a lot of responsibility and thinking but at the same time you dont have time to think you have to just know how to react.

I could go on forever. But i can still pull rates now or 10 years from now because I know how to play the game. Im no John Elliot but I am great on a different level.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The problem with your "we're here if you are desperate" scenarios going to Canada (I'm talking the Indiana to Alliston in particular) was that someone built a cheaper mousetrap. Straight freight wasn't consistent enough in your game. And you couldn't sustain your rates on a dedicated level.

Now, I see your template being used across the truckload industry. Today, it's common, as rates are crazy good. I doubt I'll get my truck in time to experience it myself this time, but there will be other opportunities. But even in slow times, people don't want to do this or that, or go here or there. As long as one is willing, he or she will make bank.

I know guys who regularly get $3.50 or more. As you say, they know when to post themselves, watch freight to truck ratio, position themselves for snow storms, go into areas prepared to dh out, etc. These guys are hauling everyday freight, not just auto. I, myself, would never tie my fortunes to the auto industry alone. I'd either learn one lane and go with it, or find a less exploited niche, and put everything into marketing what I can do that others can't/won't.

500 miles, added into the rate, for a load from NYC to Sony Studios in Culver City, CA.

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why did you close down your company jD

Sent from my SM-N900T using EO Forums mobile app
Just came across this. It would be nice to get a alert.lol

Their was a lot going on at the time. I was offered great money at a bad time in business. And to be able to get cash for a mostly non asset based business is pretty much unheard of. What they bought essentially was me and my contacts.

My son was born with a genetic disorder which hes totally fine and I was distracted with personal issues and I just had too much going on at that moment .

It was a snow ball I created that I let roll down into a avalanche. Things happen for a reason and I was pretty much stressed out and just took the opportunity and ran with it.

Its a lot more complicated. But that is the short version. And after many more sleepless nights considering coming back for another round of this I have chose not to enter back into trucking.

I love it. I forgot more then most will ever learn. Met great people, had a lot of great times and hard alike but its in my blood. I still think about it every day.

And its because of that I will not return. I am dedicated 24/7/365 when Im in the position of being responsible for so much in trucking and I chose my kids at least for the next 10 years or so.