Newb question / advice about insurance.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The right circumstances and you can make good money...unless they get greedy
This is very,very true Brokcanagian... Myself, I have no major expenses in my life ... Can exist very happily on cargo van mileage... Don't have a wife , don't have minor children, won't have any "land" payments like rent or mortgage ( I do have kin who will let me use their addy for perm/business address). CPR's owner is generous to his driver 82/18 split... even with the more pessimistic figures and assumptions, one should easily gross 80-100 K a year ... that's with a 40/60 split. Yeah that's not much if you are making a payment on a new box/straight or (gasp) a Class A rig , but in a 7 year old van ?? yeah that's decent money...
I have a hard time grossing 80k and I drive for a very generous carrier. Now if you stay out continuously and never go home, then you might make that type of income.
that is my plan... No need for a home other than tax purposes. Homes are expensive!
Hopefully it works out for you. I've been doing this since 1998 and since 2005 things have gone from good to bad in a short time frame. Not to say it won't work out but you will have to stick with it constantly.

Calvin

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I was quoted $3500 for the year by CIS. 1 Million Liability, $100k cargo insurance (the legal required level of insurance).

Lot of variables like credit rating, where you live and driving record .

I'm paying $12k a year for my 2008 Freightliner Sprinter.

Thats for the 1M trucking for hire policy.

Either I'm over insured or I'm getting duped! Only one speeding ticket in the last 3 years.

Do you have your authority?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
If you are with a carrier I would go with them as they are cheaper then most
also OOIDA has a good program to