Cargo Van Time for a high top

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ye Olde flattop, while still running well, is starting to get a little tired. So now, I wonder: minicube, Transit or Sprinter? If Sprinter, what advice on how to keep it healthy? Whichever, new or used?

What say you, owners of each kind of van?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I ran a G3500 until I retired. If I were going back I'd go with a Transit Ecoboost, maybe the low roof which is still about 11 inches higher than the G3500 or the medium roof.

Reactions: RedBird and piper1

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I was retiring the CargoMax....I'd either do the Transit thing or another GM cutaway with a narrow body on it like scottm4211. Moot's fuel economy numbers look good in his Transit...just dunno if I could get used to that overhang.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I was retiring the CargoMax....I'd either do the Transit thing or another GM cutaway with a narrow body on it like scottm4211. Moot's fuel economy numbers look good in his Transit...just dunno if I could get used to that overhang.
you'd get more practice dragging the skids back...:p

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I ran a G3500 until I retired. If I were going back I'd go with a Transit Ecoboost, maybe the low roof which is still about 11 inches higher than the G3500 or the medium roof.
The low roof Transit has a door opening height of 49.5" and an inside height of 56.9; only an inch or so difference on both dimensions compared to the GM vans. The mid roof Transit dimensions are door height 64.9" and inside height at 72".

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...just dunno if I could get used to that overhang.
I'm not a fan of the rear overhang either, but I got used to it. Loading a single heavy pallet I have it pushed up to straddle the axle. More work unloading but that's where the tow strap comes into play.

The short wheelbase and long rear overhang also contribute to some handling problems. Cross winds tend to contribute to the tail wagging the dog effect. I'm sure if the wheelbase was about 24" longer the Transit would handle better in crosswinds. On the plus side, the short wheelbase makes for easier maneuvering in tight spots.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I thought the low roof model had more difference. I guess it's a medium then. Not that I'm going back out.

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
Mid-roof Transit is working out for me. Of course, I haven't taken a "tall" load since I put the thing into service a month ago. :D

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would have preferred a mid-roof but the 2015 models didn't come with the extended length option. I wanted the extra 28" of floor space.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot, when you speak of cross wind effects on the transit, have you ever felt as if you were losing control?
Not yet, but I'm sure some fine below zero winter day, with the sun shining and melting snow being blown across the roadway by a 40 mph wind I'll find out.

Reactions: purgoose10

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot, when you speak of cross wind effects on the transit, have you ever felt as if you were losing control?
Not yet, but I'm sure some fine below zero winter day, with the sun shining and melting snow being blown across the roadway by a 40 mph wind I'll find out.
when that prairie wind blows so hard you have that feeling its pushing you sideways off the road....1 mistake on the fuel pedal and your new song will be....when it goes around in circles...LOL

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Oh, heII yes! Several times if there had been a car in next lane it would have been all over. Once in Idaho, coming down a hill, a gust practically moved me from one lane to the next. With a few exceptions, most of my white knuckle experiences have been out west.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Once in Ft. Wayne on the top of an overpass some invisible ice moved my straight truck from the right lane to the left. Luckily nobody was near me. It probably happened in less than 100 feet. It was pretty scary at the time.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I like the air tabs too. Had em on the sprinter, now on the transit. Seems they did more for the sprinter though.
Straddling the axle is not the ideal. Load van like a trailer "between the wheels". I.e. front wheels are the kingpin, back wheels are the tandems......balance !

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't forget that you, an engine and a fuel tank are all putting more weight on the steer axle than the rear axle. Putting the "weight between the wheels" will result in more weight on the steer axle, especially on an extended Transit. With the long overhang and short wheelbase, this Transit requires some thought and extra work when loading more than 1000 lbs.