Don't July To Me

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No Whammies on my two loads.
But I did go through one heck of a Whammy storm leaving Chicago area.

Winds kicked up to around 75mph. So much stuff blowing across the freeway. Thought my van was going to get blown off the road. Snapped my wiper arm in half. Being pitch dark I couldn't see a thing. Although, during a lighting strike, I think I saw this...

c7169a765a98a2198720d37466e1ca97.png

Waiting to unload St. Paul Minnesota.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm thinking there must be some defect in these older sprinter model wiper arms. I believe this is the 4th one to snap on me in as many years. 3 in cold conditions, but now the wind snapping what appears to be soild metal?

I'm just glad I started carrying a spare with me

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've had one snap on me.

It's not solid metal, per se, but rather sintered metal. Google will give you the process, but basically sintering is taking finely powered metals and fusing them together with pressure or heat, or often both, to the point where they do become one solid piece of metal.

The are many advantages to sintering including controlling the content and purity of the metal. One big disadvantage is that if there is any impurities, the finished metal will be weak and brittle at the impurity. A wiper arm isn't exactly a mission critical part, so the purity sometimes isn't what it might otherwise by. Just one or two molecules of an impurity is all it takes.

So take comfort in that when you realize that the majority of the internal parts of your drive train, like all of the cogs and gears, are composed of sintered metal. :eek:

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have my weekend planned out. Picked up in Minneapolis heading down by Jackson MS for Monday delivery. +1K mile leisurely run, my favorite way to spend the weekend. Was suppose to be 6 skids stacked, (hey, I can do 6 skids too :D).

But, turned out to be 6 pieces stacked on 1 skid, so bonus weekend room :)

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Good Sunday morning Load One from Cracker Barrel! Just got done having a great breakfast and now heading to the TA/Petro to get laundry done. Had a good week and already starting off Monday with a bang. Time to get that laundry done and watch that race today.