Would I fit in as an expediter? (Long post)

J.D.

Active Expediter
Researching
Howdy!

So, I'm considering getting into expediting. I'm twenty-five years old and have no family that depends on me and zero payments or bills to pay off. I have a class A CDL with a passenger endorsement. I have experience driving a paratransit bus and a seventy-three foot tractor-trailer with a reefer unit on the back of it. I have a spotless driving record and no criminal record. I am in California, so I would understand if I would have to stay out 3-4 months at a time.

I went to truck school for a month and was with a trainer for a month, hauling frozen goods on a dedicated Walmart account. I hated it! I ran hard and used my clock up almost everyday, only getting my 34 hour resets as downtime. I had no home time for those 2 months, but that didn't bother me.

I quit driving for some time, only to have an interest sparked in trying out bus driving. I obtained my passenger endorsement and VDDP, which allowed me to transport special needs clients as a paratransit driver. This only lasted about month aswell, due to low pay and having a split shift that required a total of 4 hours of commuting time.

I was curious if expediting would be a good fit for me. I ask this because the last two driving jobs that I had, I quit for very similiar reasons, a lack of downtime. In both situations, I was working at least twelve hours per day. I thought I might like expedited, because of the extra downtime. I had a few buddies who would get to sit a few days at the terminal or at a truck stop, and I was quite jealous of that.

Any advice would be welcome and any questions, feel free to ask them. Thanks for taking the time to read, driver.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any advice would be welcome and any questions, feel free to ask them. Thanks for taking the time to read, driver.

I have been on the road only a few months, so take what I say and ask with a grain of salt.
What do you want out of life? Are you only wanting to stack $, or are you willing to make a little less $ to enjoy life more?

I chose with van expediting because I do not have wife or kids and my bills are low. I am able to save money in probably the lowest paying situation possible in expediting. I like that I can drive downtown to a movie theatre, can go through a McDonalds drive thru, and frankly, can go anywhere any normal sized vehicle can go on my down time.
It seems to me A Class and Straight Trucks are married to the Truck Stops and that really turns me from doing either, though I have Class B CDL. I get paid to travel, love that. I meet up with friends and family that live across the country. When I get tired, I take home time for a week, which is enough time for me to want to leave again.

There are things I miss, game night and party night with friends, sleeping at night, lol, and playing in a band are a few examples of things that I can no longer do.

So, really, it seems you are looking for a match to your life, and only you can really answer that.

JerzyVan79

New Recruit
Driver
Not sure who Expediting is a good job for but personally I love it and I have my Wife and our dog along with me so we basically get paid to travel. Extra downtime is not a perk for me but again that is just me!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums