The Newer Unreliable Cargo Vans

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ouch.... never seen axles that are that expensive....
84538efb8017290783bfd5eeef6cbe28.png

Now they do have ball joints for $47....

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

schwanman

Expert Expediter
My promaster is back in the shop. This time its ball joints and cv axle problems. Aftermarket parts wont fit, need genuine mopar. Shop ordered parts this Tuesday, special order. I asked why they cant be overnighted instead of next Wednesday. I was told it cost too much. I am paying for it, let me decide what cost too much. Not having my van all of this week and most or all of next week is saving me money how? And the repair estimate is about $3750
The title of this thread is so true " The newer unreliable vans"
Who determined these needed replaced? What was the van doing?
Asking for other promaster owners.

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My van had a wobble, not always, just sometimes. And it no longer handled like it was on rails. It was feathering the tires. It also had leaked from one of the axles and left a greasy spot on the underside body. 1st question asked was has anyone worked on the transmission. I have never worked on front wheel drive or even owned one before now. I am told that improperly installing the drive shafts can cause a problem. It has been about 25k miles since trans was installed. It is not at the dealership, im done over there now that all warranty work is finished. It is at a local shop that specializes in cv joints.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My promaster is back in the shop. This time its ball joints and cv axle problems. Aftermarket parts wont fit, need genuine mopar. Shop ordered parts this Tuesday, special order. I asked why they cant be overnighted instead of next Wednesday. I was told it cost too much. I am paying for it, let me decide what cost too much. Not having my van all of this week and most or all of next week is saving me money how? And the repair estimate is about $3750
The title of this thread is so true " The newer unreliable vans"
I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying that since the fall of '15 when the first major problem popped up on my ProMasters and until now, I paid close to $30K in repairs, without counting the downtime. I am done with these Chrysler bad jokes. They should learn first how to build a vehicle, then start making them...

Reactions: jcochristoph

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got my van back a few days ago, the new parts helped a lot. I ordered new tires and will get them on in next few days. The shop that put in my cv axles said that the ram parts book showed same axle for gas and diesel but when the parts came they did not fit. He contacted the ram rep and from my vin number were able to acquire the correct axles. Im to go back to his shop after putting on the tires for an alignment. I will post the correct part numbers for the diesel promaster. Also he said he ordered another set to keep in stock and to let other owners know he is ready to assist with their van. The shop is called Zellners Alignment in collierville tn a suburb of memphis. Zellner Alignment and Automotive

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Not that it's any of my business, BUT how much of your money has gone into repairs? and how much money has been lost due to the van not being on the road?

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
My 2016 diesel protester 2500 HT has been in the shop for warranty repairs 6 weeks this year already, last year for over 2 months....owned it for 13 months now, 115,000 miles.
They have never been able to completely eliminate the emergency brakes from dragging slightly from time to time despite replacing the cables 3 times, and completely rebuilding passenger side rear brakes, calipers, ABS sensor and rotor after it completely shattered....transmission lost reverse at 46,000....they replaced it. Lost power, etc and power limiter problems, 1st guessing they replaced fuel filter, then new rail when that didn't work....then finally new high pressure fuel pump.
Also, replaced DEF injector, multiple standing forced regeneration, about 9 headlamp bulbs in a year.....probably about $20,000 lost revenue or so....but believe it or not I love the thing....handles better than my previous 2 sprinters (especially with significant weight onboard and corners/curves like a dream, front wheel drive did unbelievably well tjis winter much to my surprise. Better mileage, seats way more comfortable....better looking.
Cost $8,000 less initially than sprinter. FCA service far superior to MB/or freightliner....and servicing for pm' s about $100 less per pm.
And it is a new product line somewhat redesigned for American market so should improve. They have eliminated the hand brake emergency brake for an electronic system for 2018. For DEF problems, we have to be self educated to a point in that blue DEF has a shelf life, avoid bio diesel and blends.
Change fuel filter every other pm or so.....

Sent from my SM-N920V using EO Forums mobile app

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
When anyone is ready to invest in a new truck you should check out the Lemmon Law in Connecticut, protecting the buyer.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 2016 diesel protester 2500 HT has been in the shop for warranty repairs 6 weeks this year already, last year for over 2 months....owned it for 13 months now, 115,000 miles.
They have never been able to completely eliminate the emergency brakes from dragging slightly from time to time despite replacing the cables 3 times, and completely rebuilding passenger side rear brakes, calipers, ABS sensor and rotor after it completely shattered....transmission lost reverse at 46,000....they replaced it. Lost power, etc and power limiter problems, 1st guessing they replaced fuel filter, then new rail when that didn't work....then finally new high pressure fuel pump.
Also, replaced DEF injector, multiple standing forced regeneration, about 9 headlamp bulbs in a year.....probably about $20,000 lost revenue or so....but believe it or not I love the thing....handles better than my previous 2 sprinters (especially with significant weight onboard and corners/curves like a dream, front wheel drive did unbelievably well tjis winter much to my surprise. Better mileage, seats way more comfortable....better looking.
Cost $8,000 less initially than sprinter. FCA service far superior to MB/or freightliner....and servicing for pm' s about $100 less per pm.
And it is a new product line somewhat redesigned for American market so should improve. They have eliminated the hand brake emergency brake for an electronic system for 2018. For DEF problems, we have to be self educated to a point in that blue DEF has a shelf life, avoid bio diesel and blends.
Change fuel filter every other pm or so.....

Hey I want what this guy is smoking. By the way, you are the first person on here to admit to liking the looks of the pm. I have driven both and personally prefer the sprinter over the pm. One reason is I don't like the step down from the cab to the cargo area and don't care for the looks of the pm either. Over the last 5+ yrs that I have had my sprinter, I've had pretty good success with it and no problems with Def system that others have had. Would I buy another sprinter when the time comes, maybe but I may go with the transit instead if they happen to fix that stupid flex plate (giubo).

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
When anyone is ready to invest in a new truck you should check out the Lemmon Law in Connecticut, protecting the buyer.
Even the federal lemon law which is broader than the individual states lemon laws doesn't cover commercial vehicles, unless you have a lot of $, a really good expensive law firm, and a strong case of "breach of implied intent/warranty".

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
The Law defines as a New motor vehicle as a Passenger car, Combanation passanger\combanation {which is a van or pick up with combo plates allowed on the Parkways} Commercial van, truck or motorcycle.
Which after a reasonable number of attempts cannot be repaired.

Last edited:

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Oh, by the way how is your class action suit against FCA coming along? Thought I would ask since others have had major issues with their pm's.
After speaking with 3 reputable law firms in the lemon law category, summation was commercial vehicle, very hard case to begin with, but since I have 100,000 now impossible.....class action wise, has to be for a major defect that can be shown to have a direct safety issue to be a worthwhile case, or be able to establish a denial/cover-up of a defect which is much harder to do.

jcochristoph

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The Law defines as a New motor vehicle as a Passenger car, Combanation passanger\combanation {which is a van or pick up with combo plates allowed on the Parkways} Commercial van, truck or motorcycle.
Which after a reasonable number of attempts cannot be repaired.
The repair attempts have to be 3 or more for the same thing generally for a successful jury judgement....or that you had hardly any use of the vehicle in a shorter space of time and mileage than my case could establish.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh, by the way how is your class action suit against FCA coming along? Thought I would ask since others have had major issues with their pm's.
After speaking with 3 reputable law firms in the lemon law category, summation was commercial vehicle, very hard case to begin with, but since I have 100,000 now impossible.....class action wise, has to be for a major defect that can be shown to have a direct safety issue to be a worthwhile case, or be able to establish a denial/cover-up of a defect which is much harder to do.

Thanks for the response. Now knowing that pm owners are now pretty much stuck with what they have. Sad.

Reactions: jcochristoph