Looking For Cargo Van/ Straight Truck Answers

m&ttruckers

New Recruit
Researching
So my wife and I have to decided to look into the expediting industry. Being school bus drivers with a class a and her with a class b license I have decided on straight truck with a major company. My wife feels cargo van would be a good fit .
What can someone tell me about cargo van miles and pay and is a team a good fit for cargo van?
There isn't a lot of info out there on pay for either as well as not a lot of info on miles driven a week for either just starting out.
I'm assuming cargo van is limited on freight due to not being able to haul as much weight. But then we can get into places with a van that a straight truck cannot venture ...
what is everyone's thoughts on this ?

Last edited:

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm a vanner because I have to be: I can't get a med card. My wife is out with me as well. My advice, to a couple who both have CDLs? Straight truck, all the way. More room, more money, more freight, you name it.

As newbies, your first run should be to Lexington KY, for the Expo in July. You will find lots of solid advice and you will be able to speak to companies like Expediter Services, that can help you get started.

m&ttruckers

New Recruit
Researching
Thank you for your timely reply xmudman ... we are both already registered to attend the expo and plan on learning a lot and networking as well

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You're welcome. God knows I've got time to answer; we've had 3 loads in two weeks

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How are you finding freight at a decent rate?

I've been reduced to moving dry goods from a warehouse to stores.

I don't know how he does it? Murray just does a great job of filling my pockets week after week. No complaints here!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
If I was younger, I might consider leasing to a company. Only problem is, I don't own the truck.

Reactions: ntimevan

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We like the freedom from the log book, teaming our van. Don't think we could make in someone else's van. Comfort is a bit of a challenge, but we seldom get a room. We have averaged around 3,000 miles per week so far this year.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We like the freedom from the log book, teaming our van. Don't think we could make in someone else's van. Comfort is a bit of a challenge, but we seldom get a room. We have averaged around 3,000 miles per week so far this year.

Hi just wondering.. What rate are you running for per mile over there at XPO?

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Hi just wondering.. What rate are you running for per mile over there at XPO?
The rate is $.80 plus fuel at .06 depending on their formula. Dead head and relocate from mile one at .35.