April 2017 locations & Gossip

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just now noticing? :)
Boy, have we missed your positive, bright outlook

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch
Hard to be positive these days... every where we go we run into crap... what we call good now is still crap ...,Like getting an .75 load and thinking wow great rate! :p
And you being the advocate of "get what you can"? Kinda your own worst enemy, perhaps.
even you know this business has gone to the dogs when compared to what was...
the big carriers and brokers are getting exactly what they deserve...it was a mad rush to the bottom...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Boy, have we missed your positive, bright outlook

Hard to be positive these days... every where we go we run into crap... what we call good now is still crap ...,Like getting an .75 load and thinking wow great rate! :p
And you being the advocate of "get what you can"? Kinda your own worst enemy, perhaps.
the big carriers and brokers are getting exactly what they deserve...it was a mad rush to the bottom...
Which is why I moved to t/t. I saw too many hands in the cookie jar, and decided to change direction. Don't regret that decision a bit. So much less stress.

Reactions: RoadTime

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pushed right along by the get what you can crowd who happily joined in the race.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pushed right along by the get what you can crowd who happily joined in the race.

You remember the days we sat together and had a crowd saying.." I' ll never run for less the $1.00...where are they now? most of them have joined the race or are broke and can;t afford the next repair...
and I have never said that...I've always advocated that one should run at a rate they are happy with and can make what they need to make...we are all different animals out here with different needs and different cost per mile...we are NOT a team...we are INDEPENDENT contractors...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Which is why I moved to t/t. I saw too many hands in the cookie jar, and decided to change direction. Don't regret that decision a bit. So much less stress.
and the hands are still there...Now I am in a position to see almost just how many hands are in the mix...
when I get loads from EXAMPLE: FedexCC that was from UPS and then we get it from Try Ours....and where did UPS get it from?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You remember the days we sat together and had a crowd saying.." I' ll never run for less the $1.00...where are they now?
and I have never said that...I've always advocated that one should run at a rate they are happy with and can make what they need to make...we are all different animals out here with different needs and different cost per mile...we are NOT a team...we are INDEPENDENT contractors...
Really I remember a very loud drive less make more campaign you kept pushing. I also remember hearing something about a missing dime many times all right here on this site. I know your memory is better than that.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The sad thing is the van market is pretty much garbage these days and I don't see it changing much. The idea so many embrace of running cheap to make themselves believe they are making money is nuts imho. Why shouldn't guys out here be able to drive a nice vehicle with creature comforts to make life easier. They spend three fourths of their time living away from home if they even have one. No health insurance, no retirement, have to scrape for major repairs. Why do so many feel that it's ok? The van segment has become littered with carriers pushing costs to drivers, providing sub standard equipment and looking for any Tom, dick or Sally that doesn't know any better to put in them using drivers up the same way they use up the 10 year old bare bones cube Van they bought cheap and are gonna push until it or the driver cries uncle while they sleep comfortably on their new matress in their climate controlled home.

Someone tell me what is good or ok about that. A once go9d opportunity has been trashed by those who can't see past the next moon phase.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You remember the days we sat together and had a crowd saying.." I' ll never run for less the $1.00...where are they now?
Really I remember a very loud drive less make more campaign you kept pushing. I also remember hearing something about a missing dime many times all right here on this site. I know your memory is better than that.
oh I remember those days as well...all I can say to that is....I was ignorant of all the facts.... and toss in the fact of how this business really changed, MY needs changed...I.... WAS a LOUD advocate for make more, run less...and "Time for the dime" campaign...I remember.....but now Rich....I don't care...I am more of like..."do what you need to survive":)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The sad thing is the van market is pretty much garbage these days and I don't see it changing much. The idea so many embrace of running cheap to make themselves believe they are making money is nuts imho. Why shouldn't guys out here be able to drive a nice vehicle with creature comforts to make life easier. They spend three fourths of their time living away from home if they even have one. No health insurance, no retirement, have to scrape for major repairs. Why do so many feel that it's ok? The van segment has become littered with carriers pushing costs to drivers, providing sub standard equipment and looking for any Tom, dick or Sally that doesn't know any better to put in them using drivers up the same way they use up the 10 year old bare bones cube Van they bought cheap and are gonna push until it or the driver cries uncle while they sleep comfortably on their new matress in their climate controlled home.

Someone tell me what is good or ok about that. A once go9d opportunity has been trashed by those who can't see past the next moon phase.
Its not ok....But thats the way this business has gone...not a thing WE can do...."Leave it on the dock" does not work....time to get out

and sitting 5-7 days between loads waiting for the rate you need is not an option either when one has more time behind them then forward...

Reactions: jcochristoph

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ouch! How'd you get shot in the leg?
He lost an Arguement with his Wife on how to Plant the Garden ...

9d14030fed08b11bfb35facc4e672d53.gif

hauling freight from a Pond near you

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I don't have your experience, but, I know when I started at they had orientation every week and added new vanners every week, and still are, so either they now have 1000 vans on the road or they chew them up and spit them out as fast as they can. Many/most carriers lose nothing if they have 25% of their fleet sitting on any given days, which makes 100's of drivers & O/O's more needy as each idle day goes by.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
BTW, on a different subject, listening to radio this morning and they were talking to a National Park guy from Western South Dakota. He is stationed in the Badlands and in charge of natural recources, like Bison, etc. He said that he will also be overseeing the collection of fossils in the Western part of the state, so........Run OVM, run

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't have your experience, but, I know when I started at they had orientation every week and added new vanners every week, and still are, so either they now have 1000 vans on the road or they chew them up and spit them out as fast as they can. Many/most carriers lose nothing if they have 25% of their fleet sitting on any given days, which makes 100's of drivers & O/O's more needy as each idle day goes by.

that is the hypocracy out here..they all cry "over supply" BUT yet all are putting on units to at least replace the ones that leave..and then when there is a spike...they put on a couple "extra"....you know when one tracks " average income per unit"...they have it set in their minds just how much they think we should be making...

Reactions: Opel2010