Hino 268 115000 miles coolant leak possible oil cooler

Snappydave

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
looking for some advise as I am wanting to tackle this myself. Have been into the dealer but cannot get service and do not want down time. Is there a way someone can give me a list of parts needed i.e. (Gaskets etc) that I can go to the dealer and get so i can service on the weekend myself. Thankyou in advance. Also if someone is needing pic i can attach.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The issue with doing this yourself is occasionally one of the studs on the turbo or exhaust manifold breaks off, and they're a real treat to remove.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

Snappydave

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I should clarify I am a snapon dealer so tools are not an issue. Lol heck I even replaced my dpf and reset values

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Essentially all you need is.. 1 Turbo install kit, 3 oil cooler o-rings, (flat side mounts in oil cooler), 1 Tube of Permatex Anerobic sealant. You will have to remove the oil filter as well so grab a genuine Hino filter if you plan on replacing it.
Essentially just remove the complete rh side of the engine, re-seal the cooler and replace the 3-Orings. I have seen the freeze plug right above the turbo leak (1 for every 8) so be sure to look around that area. I can do this job in roughly 5-7 hours depending on what breaks. I think the shop charges 8hrs. There is a "hidden" oil cooler bolt on the bottom front of the cooler, you have to get at it from the bottom, its a tight fit open end wrench or a ratchet wrench only. If you have to pry too hard on the oil cooler be sure all your bolts are out. It should come off with minimal effort. Good luck

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hino123, How do you manage a head gasket in that time? I rarely get stuck doing much actual wrenching, so my times are abysmal. Luckily I don't get paid flat rate.

I'd much rather chase wires. I like getting the trucks that another shop has torn to pieces and thrown all the parts in a pile, and lost half the bolts. Those are my favorite (not kidding).

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greasy we did the head gasket and everything else On my truck in about 11 hours. Even stopping for Pizza. I like the pizza from that place. Lol

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Hino123, How do you manage a head gasket in that time? I rarely get stuck doing much actual wrenching, so my times are abysmal. Luckily I don't get paid flat rate.

I'd much rather chase wires. I like getting the trucks that another shop has torn to pieces and thrown all the parts in a pile, and lost half the bolts. Those are my favorite (not kidding).

Oh, that's just for an oil cooler re-seal, I usually get 20 hrs to do a head-gasket re-seal were not a flat rate shop so I'd rather spend the time and do it correctly. I completly disassemble the head and have it hot tanked and checked for cracks, clean all the crap/gunk out of the intake passages, replace the injector cups, measure the head bolts for stretch then clean and re-paint the rh side of the block. I'm pretty sure warranty pays 10 hrs for an 05-14 JO8, and maybe 10.7 for the new stuff with all the CCV coolant routing going on. I'm not really concerned with time either, I do it right the first time or I just wont do it.
We definitely get our fair share of "truck in a box" down here, had a 08 a few months back they pulled the threads torquing the rocker-shaft bolts, it took me an hour and a half just to organize it and figure out what I had to order for parts :eek:.

Reactions: greasytshirt