Tax expenses: actual or standard.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would lose money on doing actual expenses... why anyone would ever chose to add it all up is beyond me... mileage is by far the quickest way to $0.00 then actual
I guess it would depend on how long you plan to keep a van and what expenses you would incur during that time. Engine and transmission replacements along with all the regular maintenance can add up over 5 years.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Frank Katz (R.I.P) had a "cheat sheet" that listed all possible deductions. Just reviewing my taxes before finalizing and want to be sure. Does anyone have a copy of it?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Frank Katz (R.I.P) had a "cheat sheet" that listed all possible deductions. Just reviewing my taxes before finalizing and want to be sure. Does anyone have a copy of it?
if you took the big ones you are probably down to zero by now...no use of attracting attention to your self by over deducting....there is no rebate check by going below $0...

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I found something similar on another site and reviewed it. You are correct, I got 98% of possible deductions already, no sense in nickle and dimeing the IRS.

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
if you took the big ones you are probably down to zero by now...no use of attracting attention to your self by over deducting....there is no rebate check by going below $0...
Sure there is, my business losses pass through to my personal return and I get back most of the taxes that my company witholds when they pay us.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure there is, my business losses pass through to my personal return and I get back most of the taxes that my company witholds when they pay us.

So you're saying they withhold your money and at the end of the year they give it back to you and call it a refund ?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
it's kind of like my estimated quarterly tax payment I get a rebate at the end of the year but it's just my own money back because I over paid LOL

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Smart people these IRS guys. When we overpay they give it back to us when we file. They get to use our money interest free. But when we don't pay enough they charge us penalties. Either way we do it they win and we loose.

VSprinter

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are plenty software online that lets you input a receipt and tallies things up for you in correct folder automatically. Some even take your receipts straight from bank/credit card, so you don't have to enter anything. Gotta love itemized when almost nothing has to be entered in.
FYI... I heard you must keep a track of everyday milage for standard(start trip-end trip) , and IRS loves to get people without those.