Phones Verizon unlimited data plan starts tomorrow

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I bit into this. I have been a sprint customer for longer than I remember, but on Valentine's day I stopped at a Verizon store to look at the LG V20. They had a special that I couldn't pass up.

I got the V20 for free after $200 rebate from LG and $23 a month rebate for Valentine's day special for 24 months, actually I will make a few bucks on the phone.

However, the Verizon store experience wasn't too pleasant. After the fact they informed me that they charged me $35 set up fee, in addition to the $30 activation fee. I can set up my stupid phone, I don't need them to do it. Also, the 23 a month rebate didn't work smoothly at all, so I had to call Verizon, and I will need to call them again in a couple of months to actually get it.

I like the phone and the Verizon coverage. Miles ahead of Sprints.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's the phone I have, and I like it a lot. I find the "second screen" at the top top be very handy. Only downside is it has the latest version of Android which kills pdanet (but that becomes moot with the new unlimited plan which includes tethering).

I've never paid an activation fee (not even at SiriusXM when I've gotten a new radio). I just tell them that if they can't waive the fee they'll lose me as a customer. And I mean it. Never paid the setup fee for a new phone either. If they don't want to activate it, I can input my EISN myself, thank you very much.

I have found, generally speaking, that with Verizon stores, you're much better off dealing with a Verizon corporate store than with an Authorized Retailer Verizon store. Not that Verizon corporate stores have a stellar reputation, but they tend to be a little more knowledgeable about things, especially plan and phone details, and you end up with fewer problems and surprises.

Reactions: scottm4211

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Speaking about the $5 off for auto-pay, I read where only checking account or debit card works, but I was given the credit card option and it worked. Maybe a glitch, but it did.

Reactions: Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have the employee discount and paperless discount......it comes off the data charge portion of the bill....
so its $5.00 employee and $3.00 for the paperless....as i have the $100. 00 data plan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have Verizon. I pay $117 a month before discounts and taxes. $67 of that total is for phone service and $50 is for my aircard thing (5gigs). Switching to the unlimited plan and ditching my aircard thing for $80 seems like one of those no-brainer deals. What am I missing?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have Verizon. I pay $117 a month before discounts and taxes. $67 of that total is for phone service and $50 is for my aircard thing (5gigs). Switching to the unlimited plan and ditching my aircard thing for $80 seems like one of those no-brainer deals. What am I missing?
In your case, I don't think you're missing anything.

Reactions: RoadTime and Moot

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
You'll have around 7 bucks more in taxes and fees.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You'll be missing having to count how many texts you've made each month

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You'll have around 7 bucks more in taxes and fees.

$7.11 is what I am currently paying in taxes and fees. My total monthly bill is $124.11.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
That's the phone I have, and I like it a lot. I find the "second screen" at the top top be very handy. Only downside is it has the latest version of Android which kills pdanet (but that becomes moot with the new unlimited plan which includes tethering).

I've never paid an activation fee (not even at SiriusXM when I've gotten a new radio). I just tell them that if they can't waive the fee they'll lose me as a customer. And I mean it. Never paid the setup fee for a new phone either. If they don't want to activate it, I can input my EISN myself, thank you very much.

I have found, generally speaking, that with Verizon stores, you're much better off dealing with a Verizon corporate store than with an Authorized Retailer Verizon store. Not that Verizon corporate stores have a stellar reputation, but they tend to be a little more knowledgeable about things, especially plan and phone details, and you end up with fewer problems and surprises.

I forgot why I prefer to buy phones online rather than in stores. This is the first phone I bought in the store since the late 90s, but I couldn't get the same deal online, and more than likely it will be the last. I've always liked to order stuff online and not having people push overpriced accessories on me.

I was surprised when I got the receipt and I didn't see Verizon, but something like 'Cellular Sales.....' Nowhere on or in the store it said anything other than Verizon. I thought I was dealing with Verizon, not an authorized retailer. But if I get all of my rebates in 2-3 months then all of it was worth it. Time will tell.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When you purchase a Verizon phone from Best Buy or some other big-box store, it's pretty clear that that you're dealing with an authorized retailer What may not be so obvious is when the storefront proclaims "Verizon" in big letters. Somewhere, however, there is smaller type denoting the store is a Verizon-approved retailer. Like the fine print in the pic below.

verizon-retail-localization.jpg

The sales staff at Authorized Retailers is trained by Verizon and occasionally retrained when needed. The store has to met certain terms, but those can vary from location to location. One of them: the return policy. Verizon's corporate stores have a standard 30-day guarantee return that offers a new phone or money back. The return policies of authorized retailers may differ. You may get a better price at an Authorized Retailer than the fixed prices at a corporate store, though. But, if you ever have a problem in the future, a corporate store, is better equipped to handle problems then a reseller is. Corporate stores have better access to different tools and a direct preferred line to tech support, too.

There are 3 types of Verizon stores:
1. Corporate Store
2. Premium Retailer
3. Authorized Seller/Dealer

Corporate Stores are Verizon owned and operated. They have fixed pricing, flexibility with all levels of customer service (to a degree) to help manage your account returns and exchanges from online, in-store, and over the phone. These seem to be fairly consistent experiences in all locations. The sales people are usually uniformly nice, but they can be a bit pushy now and then. Again, the prices are higher than other places, and the lines tend to be longer (because more people want to stick with the corporate stores, especially for brand newly released flagship phones, since the corporate people will know more of the pros and cons of them). I prefer the Corporate Stores, because when they ring it up, change anything, whatever, there's no middleman to screw things up. Their fancy schmancy iPad thingy is directly linked to Verizon itself. With my grandfathered unlimited plan, I wanted to take no chances when I got a new phone. :D

Premium Retailers make up the majority of Verizon's stores. They have specific guidelines they must follow to deliver the Verizon experience they way Verizon wants it. They're like the McDonalds of Verizon. The plans are exactly the same and they have the same Verizon training made available to them (not all use it). They tend to be smaller and more personable. When it comes to pricing they tend to be in the same price point as a Corporate store, but depending on the market might be up or down. Ask if they price match and show them the website, some will some won't. They are setup to honor all Verizon mail rebate and bill credit promotions and most do participate. Some will even give you the markdown in-store or fill out the rebate for you. Your accessories are always the same or less then the corporate store and they tend to have more flexible bundle deals. Some will offer additional services: cell phone repair, alternate insurances, or refurbished phones upon request. Do yourself a favor and check their Yelp and/or Google reviews before you go, If you see a particular person mentioned as great ask for them & vise versa. The Verizon Premium Retailer in my home town, everyone in there is nice, but they are really pretty clueless on the nuts and bolts details of anything. Mostly college kids, I guess. I prefer the corporate store 45 minutes away in Paducah if there's a problem.

Authorized Sellers/Resellers/Dealers. These are your big-box stores & small independent sellers (like, We-Be-Cellphones-R-Us or something). The big-box stores offer their own pricing on devices and accessories. They usually price match. They use their own training on sales people with input from the carriers. They run their own promotions and are considered independent. They have limits on what they can offer plan wise and usually don't offer Verizon insurance (but a few do). The small independent stores are really all over the map because its up to each store. They have much less oversight and have little affiliation with Verizon corporate. I tend to stay away from these due to the lack of consistency unless you find a really knowledgeable sales person or an amazing deal (like the one you got). My own personal opinion is, they're good if you know exactly what you want. For me, they're good in a pinch for a Verizon branded vehicle charger. That's about it. YMMV.

To find a store near you, go to Verizon's Store Locator and type in a Zip Code. You have the option to NOT include Authorized Retailers in the search results, if you like. If you choose to include the Authorized Retailers, the pushpins on the map in RED are Corporate Stores, and the light blue ones are Authorized Retailers.

My current phone, the LG 20, I got that at a Corporate Store in Louisville. The phone before that, the HTC One M8, I got at a Corporate Store in Laredo. Ordered one online direct from Verizon. The Droid before that, Corporate Store in Pittsburgh. The two phones before that, as luck would have it, both from the Corporate Store in Davenport, IA. You have to go back all the way to the phone before those two that I got at the Authorized Retailer at home.

Reactions: FlyingVan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I went to a Verizon corporate store this morning and changed over to the unlimited data plan. It was a painless, almost pleasant experience. My original plan was to ditch my mobile wifi Jetpack thing, which costs me $50/month for 5 gigs. With the $80/month unlimited plan I would get 10 gigs of data. While reviewing my account he found I could keep my Jetpack and for a mere extra $20/month I could get 10 gigs. So now for $100 and change I get unlimited data, text messages and 10 gigs wifi hot spot on my phone and 10 gigs data on my Jetpack compared to $117/month with only 5 gigs data and 200 text messages on my old plan.

All apparently appears to be wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. But deep down, the skeptic in me is saying somehow I got hosed.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you Scott for starting this thread. I get junk from Verizon all the time but mostly ignore it. You should switch to Verizon. You need a new phone number. Your current one must be almost 3 weeks old and getting stale.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
When I get done with my errors, I'm heading over to the Verizon across and do some checking ;) I'll keep everyone posted.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Speaking about the $5 off for auto-pay, I read where only checking account or debit card works, but I was given the credit card option and it worked. Maybe a glitch, but it did.
I signed up for auto-pay today using my credit card that was paying on the paperless pay plan.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, I've got 16 GB and I'm using a average of 4 to 5 GB a month. And for only $20 more a month you can get the unlimited effect. I got the unlimited effect!
Yeah, why pay more if you don't use it. 5 gigs of data wasn't enough for me. When I would near my limit I would seek out free wifi. 10 gigs should do it for me but I thought I would do the 10 GB on the Jetpack and use that with my laptop.

While you were doing your errors, did you pick up some White Out?:)

Reactions: DollarSign

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Ok, I've got 16 GB and I'm using a average of 4 to 5 GB a month. And for only $20 more a month you can get the unlimited effect. I got the unlimited effect!
Yeah, why pay more if you don't use it. 5 gigs of data wasn't enough for me. When I would near my limit I would seek out free wifi. 10 gigs should do it for me but I thought I would do the 10 GB on the Jetpack and use that with my laptop.

While you were doing your errors, did you pick up some White Out?:)
I thought about it, why spend the extra $20 when I use only 5 GB. Well I've thought about streaming some music and was told that takes a good bit of data. Also remember we don't know how long they will keep this. It may stay it may cancel.