Millhouse logistics

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, but most carriers charge $200 for drug tests, and other fees associated with signing up.

Not most, but some. Or to be more specific, the large carriers are doing it... anyway, y'all can blame me for saying this, but I believe and nothing's gonna change my belief, all these fees are a ripoff... should I continue with their other fees for things like QC, Occ/Acc, weekly processing fees, etc, etc?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
so the First DOT inspection for CV's is free?....then $25.. 2x's a year...? That sir is a..... fee
Some carriers will only ask you to bring in the inspection papers and I believe it's more expensive to have your van inspected at an independent shop...

Reactions: jelliott

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At least they are asking for it upfront and they tell you how much it is, unlike other carriers (from Toledo, for example) that tells you about their fees, including a huge orientation fee, only after you attend a two days waste-of-time-orientation...
His explanation made complete sense.

Reactions: RoadTime

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why the 1%?

I get paid weekly...on Fridays...for everything scanned in by Monday ish....no fee.
Because that is what they do...
Why DOT safeties on cargo vans ?
Why mileage limitations ?
Banks don't give lines of credit for free... it's a cost of doing business ... carriers that pay upfront like yours and others that pay like yours must have a massive line of credit to support the payout...

I just asked. At 80 to 100k gross a year the cost to the O/O is $800 to $1000...to help the carrier float his banking costs....or I guess the O/O can wait however long it takes to get paid and float their expenses on their own credit. Just a different way I guess....having never worked for a carrier that did this it just seemed odd to me.
I understand.... but don't all businesses usually carry their iwn debt? Expediting is setup like an employee, with Friday being a payday... no other business are they fronted operational expenses...can one claim true independent status when their costs are being financed in a way...?

Reactions: Grizzly

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I understand.... but don't all businesses usually carry their iwn debt? Expediting is setup like an employee, with Friday being a payday... no other business are they fronted operational expenses...can one claim true independent status when their costs are being financed in a way...?
Sure they are, ever have a home built by a contractor? They aren't going to build the whole thing and then change you. There are plenty.of examples where independent workers take advances.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I understand.... but don't all businesses usually carry their own debt? Expediting is setup like an employee, with Friday being a payday... no other business are they fronted operational expenses...can one claim true independent status when their costs are being financed in a way...?
Sure they are, ever have a home built by a contractor? They aren't going to build the whole thing and then change you. There are plenty.of examples where independent workers take advances.
its all in the contract isn't it....a builder needs say 25-50% upfront to start the project..but we are talking tens of thousands of dollars not a mere 1,000...
variety store owner, auto repair and it goes on....all paid when job is done....
just think if your carrier gave you the option.of 70% now or 72% if you wait?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Call Bolt Express and ask about their fees for signing on with a sprinter van.
It'll be somewhere over $400. Just for orientation. Then you'll see the rest of 'em on a weekly basis...

Bolt has some of the lowest fees in industry but they want the newer vans, spoke with a recruiter recently. I'm less concerned about start up fees, weekly fees are more to be concerned about because those are the ones you deal with long term! :confused2:

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bolt has some of the lowest fees in industry but they want the newer vans, spoke with a recruiter recently. I'm less concerned about start up fees, weekly fees are more to be concerned about because those are the ones you deal with long term! :confused2:
The weekly charges will be the following numbers (at least that's what they were charging me not long ago)
-$5.00 Liability Limiter Program
-$34.63 NTL/PD Insurance
-$35.00 Occ/Acc Insurance
-$5.00 Paperwork Processing
Another $5 per each transaction if you ask for cash advance. And if you get a QC installed, that'll be another $30...

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
NTL/PD Insurance varies depending on the year make and model etc. Could be less or more.

You can also bypass the qc by using the phone.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The weekly charges will be the following numbers (at least that's what they were charging me not long ago)
-$34.63 NTL/PD Insurance
Another $5 per each transaction if you ask for cash advance. And if you get a QC installed, that'll be another $30...
are the only 2 weird charges....the others are all acceptable...

Reactions: Opel2010

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
-$34.63 NTL/PD Insurance
Do they still take $50 a week for the first 20 weeks to build up an escrow?

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was charged this more then 10 yrs ago at XPO then Express1...and it was mandatory...-$35.00 Occ/Acc Insurance
and of course the bob tail/empty insurance based on the value of the vehicle....

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How much is the flat rate?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Okay I'm not sure if this is flat rate or not, but I give them a bid amount on every load they call for. In some cases we will already have the load and I'll give them my price and if they can't do it then that's that. I just run for my rate and I don't care what the company actually makes.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
-$34.63 NTL/PD Insurance
Do they still take $50 a week for the first 20 weeks to build up an escrow?

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch
so pay them the $1,000 up front....thats a solution to that problem....
My thoughts on this is, If one can't afford the upfront charges just maybe you should not be in business...

a store owner has to put product on the shelves...that money comes upfront....you just don't get into a business with little or no capitol....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Paperwork processing = cost of Weekly Transflo of paperwork

Liability limiter charge is for the coverage of the deductable from 1,000,000.. insurance coverage .. most policys don't inform the drivrr he/she is responsible for that $5,000.....

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Paperwork processing = cost of Weekly Transflo of paperwork

Liability limiter charge is for the coverage of the deductable from 1,000,000.. insurance coverage .. most policys don't inform the drivrr he/she is responsible for that $5,000.....

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app
thats cool....:)