2012 Hino 268 P2047, 204F

johnpham

New Recruit
Mechanic
Hello All, i'm new here, so please be patient with me ...lol...

I have a 2012 Hino 268 with JO8E engine, its throwing codes P2047 and P204F, unable to perform manual regen. cleared codes and was able to drive 100 miles back to base with out issue, next day CEL light came on with Regen light flashing and beeping. unable to clear code this time, remaining code P204F. the driver mentioned that the DEF fluid remain at the same level despite 2 days of driving. Maybe DEF Pump?? and how to check? PLease help...Thanks a million

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hello All, i'm new here, so please be patient with me ...lol...

I have a 2012 Hino 268 with JO8E engine, its throwing codes P2047 and P204F, unable to perform manual regen. cleared codes and was able to drive 100 miles back to base with out issue, next day CEL light came on with Regen light flashing and beeping. unable to clear code this time, remaining code P204F. the driver mentioned that the DEF fluid remain at the same level despite 2 days of driving. Maybe DEF Pump?? and how to check? PLease help...Thanks a million
It's rarely the pump. Gimme a few min.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: johnpham

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Your def injector is crapped up. The dcu is seeing a "second order differential in the def injector circuit waveform".

Replace the def injector and def filter. Do not force the clips on the def or coolant tubes. They are not available separately. Clean the area before messing with it. Use needle nose vise grips to gently clamp off the coolant tubes or you'll be sitting, cussing, in an ever-widening puddle of blue coolant. Not that I know from first hand experience or anything.

Be prepared to go to the dealer and have the codes cleared. If it doesn't clear by itself, it'll go into limp mode which is always fun.

Then again, if you managed to pull P2047, you might have the means to clear it.

While you're at the dealer, get a couple of igniters, an atomizer nozzle, and a flame temp sensor and do a burner service. In the other thread I explained (recently) what that's about.

Reactions: Skyline

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Your def injector is crapped up. The dcu is seeing a "second order differential in the def injector circuit waveform".

Replace the def injector and def filter. Do not force the clips on the def or coolant tubes. They are not available separately. Clean the area before messing with it. Use needle nose vise grips to gently clamp off the coolant tubes or you'll be sitting, cussing, in an ever-widening puddle of blue coolant. Not that I know from first hand experience or anything.

Be prepared to go to the dealer and have the codes cleared. If it doesn't clear by itself, it'll go into limp mode which is always fun.

Then again, if you managed to pull P2047, you might have the means to clear it.

While you're at the dealer, get a couple of igniters, an atomizer nozzle, and a flame temp sensor and do a burner service. In the other thread I explained (recently) what that's about.

And a burner fuel filter and crankcase ventilation filter. Fill the burner filter all the way with diesel before screwing it back on.

johnpham

New Recruit
Mechanic
Great tips sir, i will try that when it stop raining, its raining dogs and cats here in San Jose California....
I am using the Snap-On Verus Pro to pull code using the Generic ODB2 feature. i was able to clear code before and save a tow back to base. I have not touch this truck, this is the first time they call me for this issue. It has over 220K miles on it now. i talked with the owner and was informed that the DEF injector and igniter was replaced by the dealer not too long ago (however long, don[t know....lol) , a visual inspection confirmed that the replaced components was fairly new compare to the surrounding.
My concern also is about the DEF fluid is still full when i drive 100 miles back to base plus the other driver drove for 2 days and the fluid still full. Could the DEF injector clog up completely? i have limit access to HINO information. but i do have all the tech tips and TSBs which were downloadable for free from Hino. I wish i have a schematic or wiring diagram of the DEF pump circuit. Thanks so much for your information, i will keep you updated....Merry Christmas...

johnpham

New Recruit
Mechanic
A quick update on what i have done so far.

Replaced DEF injector
Cleaned out Igniter and injection nozzle.
Replaced DEF Pump filter.
No more code P2047,
Still the SRC system failure indicator still on and blinking and beeping....
unable to clear code this time. attempted with engine on and engine running.

I noticed when the code is cleared the MIL light goes off and came right back on again.
Went back in to check for code and this time found P204F and P0410 Atomizer air pressure too low.

Ordered Hino DX2 with Nexiq USB Link & ODB II Cable, with Hino Software. plus two days shipping total over 3000$ lets hope its worth the money... :) also bought a 3 days subscription and downloaded all the information i need.

now P0410 Atomizer air pressure too low. i took a peek at the air atomizer and noticed there is a transducer like component. could that be bad, the air line looks ok. Air Tank Pressure is at 105, braking system is ok.

This is what it said in the manual
DTC:p0410 Atomizer air pressure too low (Pending Fault Code, NO MIL)
– This code is the PENDING FAULT CODE (NO MIL).
– This code is set when BCU detects low air pressure from the air tank.
– BCU presume failure when 3 times low pressure events detected in a row.
(P2431 Air Supply (from air tank) failure) or P2436(Atomizer Failure set)
– If no P2431/P2636, this DTC can be ignored.
– Engine speed (from ECM) > 450 r/min.
– (1) Atomizer air pressure < 350kPa for 120sec

But i have no p2431/p2436

Please help!!!!!!! Thanks

Anyway with the SCR light on the truck is stuck at 5 MPH. have to take it to the dealer to see what they say or can do. while i wait for my HINO diagnostics kit to come in..

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
A quick update on what i have done so far.

Replaced DEF injector
Cleaned out Igniter and injection nozzle.
Replaced DEF Pump filter.
No more code P2047,
Still the SRC system failure indicator still on and blinking and beeping....
unable to clear code this time. attempted with engine on and engine running.

I noticed when the code is cleared the MIL light goes off and came right back on again.
Went back in to check for code and this time found P204F and P0410 Atomizer air pressure too low.

Ordered Hino DX2 with Nexiq USB Link & ODB II Cable, with Hino Software. plus two days shipping total over 3000$ lets hope its worth the money... :) also bought a 3 days subscription and downloaded all the information i need.

now P0410 Atomizer air pressure too low. i took a peek at the air atomizer and noticed there is a transducer like component. could that be bad, the air line looks ok. Air Tank Pressure is at 105, braking system is ok.

This is what it said in the manual
DTC:p0410 Atomizer air pressure too low (Pending Fault Code, NO MIL)
– This code is the PENDING FAULT CODE (NO MIL).
– This code is set when BCU detects low air pressure from the air tank.
– BCU presume failure when 3 times low pressure events detected in a row.
(P2431 Air Supply (from air tank) failure) or P2436(Atomizer Failure set)
– If no P2431/P2636, this DTC can be ignored.
– Engine speed (from ECM) > 450 r/min.
– (1) Atomizer air pressure < 350kPa for 120sec

But i have no p2431/p2436

Please help!!!!!!! Thanks

Anyway with the SCR light on the truck is stuck at 5 MPH. have to take it to the dealer to see what they say or can do. while i wait for my HINO diagnostics kit to come in..

P0410 doesn't mean anything. It means that the air pressure in the tanks was low and it had to fill them up first before it could fire the burner to heat up the SCR.

If you had hino dx in front of you, this is how you'd silence an SCR fault / limp mode:
Go into the engine diagnostic menu, go to data monitor then activation test. Scroll to the bottom. Select 'reset urea scr history' and activate. It'll take a few seconds, but then the warning on the dash does away and you can turn it off.

To tell if it's actually fixed, go to engine customization menu. Go to the last selectable line, it'll say something like PM amount piling up. Type in 2.2 and click 'Write', ignition on, engine off. Start truck. The dpr graph should jump from 2 to 3 bars. Now it's time to go for a drive. 15-20 minutes on a burner truck. It may take longer, that's ok. Anyway, when the bars return to zero, drive an additional ten miles. This will have heated up the whole aftertreatment system, and if there were any problems remaining in the SCR system, this is usually enough time for them to turn on the check engine light.

johnpham

New Recruit
Mechanic
Thank you so much for the information Sir,
I am still waiting for the Hino software and hardware to come in...can't wait....:)
As for the burner system, i don't know how the system work from the start to shut down.
The info i got from Hino source is mostly diagnostics and R&R procedure not much of operation of the burner system..

Thanks again Greasyshirt..you are such a great help...i deeply owe you for your help....

I'm a car guy making a transition to trucks....lol....

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The info i got from Hino source is mostly diagnostics and R&R procedure not much of operation of the burner system..
You want to know how it works. Let me find some pics of this thing.

Thanks again Greasyshirt..you are such a great help...i deeply owe you for your help....
I appreciate the feedback.

I'm a car guy making a transition to trucks....lol....

It's so much easier than cars.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
A very basic explanation:

All trucks with DPFs need a method to heat the DPF high enough to oxidize the soot trapped inside. On 11-14 model year Hino 238, 258, 268 and 338, they do this with a burner. It's not unlike a reddi-heater. There's the atomizer which mixes fuel and air and injects it into the front of the burner. Two spark plugs without side electrodes are positioned in front of the nozzle. A source of fresh air, from the turbo, turned on and off from the combustion air valve (CAV) supplies fresh air for the burner.

johnpham

New Recruit
Mechanic
Thank you so much Greasytshirt...

An update to what i have done so far..Hino Diagnostic Kit finally came in..able to load the HINO DX2 software with version 150 and update to the latest from Hino (it takes for ever...lol...i got drunk during the wait....hahah..) downloaded the latest driver from NEXIQ and configure the Nexiq USB link2, their instruction is precisely vague but i was able to figure it out at last. .This version 150 user interface is a bit different than the old DX2 interface i saw.. Takes a little while to learn the navigation but finally feel comfortable with it.
Scan all modules and sure enough P204F was still in the ECU, no malfunction in DCU and BCU. the previous P2047 code was gone. Attempted to clear P204F. P204F fail to clear. Went in to ECU activation menu and reset BCU and DCU data the settings. and was able to clear code afterward. Test Drove truck for 60 miles. all good now. Your guidance was right on Greasytshirt. a million thanks to you sir.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Thank you so much Greasytshirt...

An update to what i have done so far..Hino Diagnostic Kit finally came in..able to load the HINO DX2 software with version 150 and update to the latest from Hino (it takes for ever...lol...i got drunk during the wait....hahah..) downloaded the latest driver from NEXIQ and configure the Nexiq USB link2, their instruction is precisely vague but i was able to figure it out at last. .This version 150 user interface is a bit different than the old DX2 interface i saw.. Takes a little while to learn the navigation but finally feel comfortable with it.
Scan all modules and sure enough P204F was still in the ECU, no malfunction in DCU and BCU. the previous P2047 code was gone. Attempted to clear P204F. P204F fail to clear. Went in to ECU activation menu and reset BCU and DCU data the settings. and was able to clear code afterward. Test Drove truck for 60 miles. all good now. Your guidance was right on Greasytshirt. a million thanks to you sir.

It's odd that P2047 disappeared. Sometimes you'll see a P204F in the ECU and nothing in the DCU. This is generally caused by low voltage, generally poor battery connections or a dying battery.

Aside from that, it looks like you're figuring it out. Yes, navigation is strange.

johnpham

New Recruit
Mechanic
This truck had a p2047 before and I did replaced the DEF injector.. I did use the snapon Verus Edge to clear DTC prior to the Hino DXI I arrival....the problem was the Snapon scanner can't erase P204F..

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
This truck had a p2047 before and I did replaced the DEF injector.. I did use the snapon Verus Edge to clear DTC prior to the Hino DXI I arrival....the problem was the Snapon scanner can't erase P204F..

Under diagnosis, engine ECU, activation test menu, activate "reset urea SCR history" for several seconds, stop activation, then clear codes. If it's still active, check dcu for faults again.

johnpham

New Recruit
Mechanic
sorry, may be i was not clear on my post. the problem is fixed,

I went in the ECU activation test menu, activate "reset urea SCR History" and reset it. and was able to clear P204F afterward. Thanks to you and Hino DXII...

Reactions: greasytshirt