V3 Transportation

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sitting depends on how safe we feel and sometimes physical comfort. After we sat for 12 days in 106degree temps in OKC we call it sooner now, lol.

Reactions: KickStarter6

midnightexspress

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Marines
carriers could care less about our thinking, we are sub contractors ,carriers are concerned about 1 thing the on time and safe delivery of the freight, yes they say they are concerned about your safety but that's another animal, so back on subject , if you make 1 dollar then you come out ahead right ? Ask anyone from the day of old when are grandpas and granmas broke there backs for far less than what we have to get by , stop whining about a lower rate think god you made anything so if you need to run loads at a lower rate you always make money some are good some are lower but you always make money I've been running for 5 years and not one time have I worried about not making if it , save your money watch expenses , pay your bills and take the loads offered you some good some lower but in the end very little sitting witch kills a lot of exspeditors waiting for that big paying load take them all I've done well with what I just said here so common guys be positive incorrage the new guy to take all those loads and avoid sitting I have not had 1 job I lost money on maybe not as much but I did ok and I have been working for a sizable carrier since I left the marine corps

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's about averages and I have 0 problem setting as long as it doesn't get stupid long.

What do you consider stupid long? I run local and long hauls. Try to stick to 50-500 miles or 1400 out, so when I take the long hauls I'm forced to stay at that location until I get something coming back.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is never just about the rate. In the extreme, one could get $3.00 a mile but if it is two loads a week at 100 miles a piece, not so great. Have to have balance. I keep it simple with regards to carriers. Don't fee me to death, 10 to 15 percent deadhead, and a truck that grosses 200k a year at 75 percent availability.. That is for straights. I could care less about any of the other bs. If that can't be met, then move on to someone that can. No need to complicate the simple. It is never about mileage or percentage. It is about profit and production.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is never just about the rate. In the extreme, one could get $3.00 a mile but if it is two loads a week at 100 miles a piece, not so great. Have to have balance. I keep it simple with regards to carriers. Don't fee me to death, 10 to 15 percent deadhead, and a truck that grosses 200k a year at 75 percent availability.. That is for straights. I could care less about any of the other bs. If that can't be met, then move on to someone that can. No need to complicate the simple. It is never about mileage or percentage. It is about profit and production.

You're telling me I could net 75k a year with 50% availability. Now we're strait truck talking, from Sprinter poverty to the high class life. :D I went from a fleet owner to a driver so I don't really like working too much but you know I get out there and do it sometimes so I need a carrier that respects my long haul capability but understands I might wanna take a week or two off and also get really low insurance and fees is the key to taking time off, I suppose I could fire the ignition up and run a local run to keep the insurance paid. I know a guy in Denver that makes like 10 dollars a mile locally working for engineering companies in a 99 ford 26 ft pos that he paid less then 10k for. I think his minimum is around 100-200 just to start it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: davekc

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How about V3 though in regards to deductions and how the loads work (Sprinter nationwide capable?), how do they size up to Millhouse? (another current topic) after I hit this post reply button I'm walking out the door to do a 1400 mile trip out west to LA, don't ask me what the dead head was to pick up this load it broke all records and possibly a all time dead head record. Check in later. :D

JENNANDDUSTY

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I'm not sure how the sprinters do here at V3 as I drive a team straight. I eould suggest calling Sean Kessler directly at V3 and speak with him. He is very knowledgeable. As far as deductions that we pay as drivers, we pay $35 each person for occ/acc insurance weekly. We pay no other expenses, other than fuel. I've never heard of Mill house so can't comment on that. It is non forced dispatch here also.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How about V3 though in regards to deductions and how the loads work (Sprinter nationwide capable?), how do they size up to Millhouse? (another current topic) after I hit this post reply button I'm walking out the door to do a 1400 mile trip out west to LA, don't ask me what the dead head was to pick up this load it broke all records and possibly a all time dead head record. Check in later. :D
You got your dream(in) load

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not sure how the sprinters do here at V3 as I drive a team straight. I eould suggest calling Sean Kessler directly at V3 and speak with him. He is very knowledgeable. As far as deductions that we pay as drivers, we pay $35 each person for occ/acc insurance weekly. We pay no other expenses, other than fuel. I've never heard of Mill house so can't comment on that. It is non forced dispatch here also.

Sounds like a steal of a deal for owner operators that don't want the pressure of high fees and deductions on off weeks assuming that is for owner operators. $35 a week for everything including cargo insurance? $ left over to pay the property damage bobtail... sounds reasonable.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You got your dream(in) load

Yes sir, heading out to So Cal gotta try and catch some Volvo straight truck drivers O/O's at the Ontario Petro for some tips. Florida Michigan/Chicago California with occasional trips to CO. Long hauls or local that's how I roll, all or nothing! ;)