Hino hood bandaid

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Coalminer, this one's for you!

Spongebox sent a truck my way. Floppy hood syndrome. It was bad.
For those that don't know, the hoods of 05-10 Hinos with 6 cylinder engines have hoods that are fragile. They break around the hinges, sometimes very badly. When it's bad, the hood latches are about the only thing holding it on.
On this hood the bottom fiberglass under the grille was missing entirely. Some bracing was added, but it was pulling apart. That bracing was welded back together, but it needed something else. Some head scratching later, a solution was discovered. 1"x2" rectangular tubing, about 2 ft per side, was cut at an angle, welded to the side of the hinges, then bolted to the bottom of the headlight housings. The hood was propped up into its proper position first, before anything was bolted, drilled, or welded. The result was much, much sturdier than before. As long as it isn't allowed to slam in either direction, the repair should hold up well.

There's a little shock absorber on one hinge that keeps the hood from slamming open or shut. These failed. If you have a hood problem, replace this shock. It'll help keep it from getting worse.
IwlXTnm.jpg

dlnGiNR.jpg

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine is starting to flop around again, might have to copy that idea to shore mine up again.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not just Hinos. I've seen tractors of different makes with the same problem. Fiberglass just isn't that durable, and where the hinges fasten it has a tendency to crack and break regardless of how well it's braced.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Not just Hinos. I've seen tractors of different makes with the same problem. Fiberglass just isn't that durable, and where the hinges fasten it has a tendency to crack and break regardless of how well it's braced.
This is certainly true. However, the earlier Hino conventional trucks have notoriously weak hoods. They completely redesigned the hood in 2011 and went with an American manufacturer (pretty sure). The newer hoods are a magnitude better in quality. The only ones that I've seen cracked are on trucks that have been in accidents/ have hit large objects.

evatransport

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Is this still active? My hood is being held together on a thread and im wondering if this fix could be applied to my situation, thanks!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Yes this will work. This thread is like 7 years old. The few 08-10 trucks that I still see with the hood mod have had no further hood issues. Build it substantially. .