One Man Fight to Save the Expedited Trucking Industry

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army

Lawyers will try and drag everyone they can into it. They could argue the software enabled illegal activity. Would they win....???

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
a good lawyer could say they were aware of the screening abilities and ignored it.....that the software helped facilitate the crime....just saying

Reactions: jelliott

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Does there site not provide a service for a fee.And does that site collects info for loads available for bids,and informs the winner if the lowest bid? I was told they where a clearing house type operation. I knew they sold software in order loads were posted on the system. The last part of my post is does anybody have any ideals how we can other carriers,agents ,and brokers to do what Load One did and review there files and boot the scam artist? You always so quick to respond or to correct something,however you never offer any help or share any of your vast knowledge you have of this Industry.

Reactions: sbarrett

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I know for fact other carriers are alarmed at the the risk and are looking at similar situations.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
I know for fact other carriers are alarmed at the the risk and are looking at similar situations.
John like Mike said this is just the tip of the ice burg! Last year my carrier would do 50/60 loads a day this time of the year and get real slow after the 4th of July.We are lucky to do 25 loads a day (cargo vans and Sprinters).We can set here and blame this downward trend on what ever we want. I would like to think we getting to the right track.Thank you staying in the fight.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Sylectus should review there enrollment process and verify customer they collect the fees from.That lawsuit is going to make a good living for a sharp attorney and his firm.By the time the fat lady sings there going to carriers,agents,brokers and drivers wishing they step up to the plate and done a better job.It may not ever settle and a dine may never be collected, we know the winner is,its all the lawyers that have to be hired to defend a case that could be prevented if someone verified coverage. 12 man jury like seating on a case like this and awarding large amounts of monies to families that lost mom or dad by a trucking company and there driver is at fault.We all know that this is not something new they buy ads on billboards call me I win millions for my clients.How can we get all these carriers and brokers and agents to do that review? Other than May I and Pretty Please,and when you get the time i.e.

Deadhead,

Consistent in your posts is the theme that others should do this or that to improve the situation. The things you have done or are willing to do are vague and unfocused. As an owner-operator, what, specifically are you willing to do regarding the issue you raise? Wandering around truck stops and visiting with drivers does count as something, but to what end? What is your true purpose? How does that make a difference? How does that make something different happen that is not happening now?

Load 1 has taken a stand and specific actions at the carrier level. What is your stand and specific actions at the owner-operator level?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
John like Mike said this is just the tip of the ice burg! Last year my carrier would do 50/60 loads a day this time of the year and get real slow after the 4th of July.We are lucky to do 25 loads a day (cargo vans and Sprinters).We can set here and blame this downward trend on what ever we want. I would like to think we getting to the right track.Thank you staying in the fight.
or maybe you have a crappy carrier?...Maybe you aren't in the right spot at the right time....maybe shippers are doing a better job....expedite should not even really exist in a perfect world....
Example....nd Panther drivers know this one...Timkin plants all over Bucyrus Ohio to focus used to be almost 20 load a DAY area specifically from Timkin...Old computer and inventory management.....NOW maybe a 2 a day area....Timkin got new computers and software to deal with distribution......that is a whack of loads per day GONE not to seen and really backs up the system.....more and more auto parts companies have improved their systems over the years ...gone are many loads......

Low rates will prevail for many many years to come as expedite is faded down from black to grey...IMO

Proper insurance will do very little for this business....as it only adds .05 to .08 a mile unto the cost per mile based on 100,000 miles a year....
so if they are running for .70 they might come up to .80....

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Deadhead,

Consistent in your posts is the theme that others should do this or that to improve the situation. The things you have done or are willing to do are vague and unfocused. As an owner-operator, what, specifically are you willing to do regarding the issue you raise? Wandering around truck stops and visiting with drivers does count as something, but to what end? What is your true purpose? How does that make a difference? How does that make something different happen that is not happening now?

Load 1 has taken a stand and specific actions at the carrier level. What is your stand and specific actions at the owner-operator level?
You asked some very good questions about what my purpose is,and what difference does this make.I sorry that my post are vague.I have forward photos to Taxes Highway Patrol,Commercial vehicle enforcement,also to State of Arkansas in Little Rock, where trucks travel thur.I don't know want the outcome well be,hopefully they get the word out and start stopping these people.As far as me wandering around truck stops gave insight into what and where these people are from and how they operate.I called into Talk Radio Show on WLW getting the word out.I with the help of a family friend has a contact at 60 Min. about any interest in doing a story about this issue. What good is all this is going to do,you tell me! Have you read anything here thats not real and doesn't effect this whole Industry? Please answer my question don't post a cartoon and a comment that not on this subject(not that you would).I'm one person doing everything I can to make my nut each month,and want to work in a job I enjoy doing. My position has always been focused getting the word out.I'm not a fleet owner, playing the numbers game, one truck one load at a time.Everyday prices increase fuel, food,services ect. now we have haul for less because the playing field isn't level.I remain

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Deadhead....you should be more worried about guys like me.....very low CPM with a 2nd income ...plenty of us around that doesn't need the big money to make a decent profit.....there is a move away from the bigger carriers for a good reason.....we want to use that low CPM to OUR advantage and not be overbid and lose loads and sit for days on end.....bigger carrier won't do that...they have profit margins themselves to contend with....

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
or maybe you have a crappy carrier?...Maybe you aren't in the right spot at the right time....maybe shippers are doing a better job....expedite should not even really exist in a perfect world....
Example....nd Panther drivers know this one...Timkin plants all over Bucyrus Ohio to focus used to be almost 20 load a DAY area specifically from Timkin...Old computer and inventory management.....NOW maybe a 2 a day area....Timkin got new computers and software to deal with distribution......that is a whack of loads per day GONE not to seen and really backs up the system.....more and more auto parts companies have improved their systems over the years ...gone are many loads......

Low rates will prevail for many many years to come as expedite is faded down from black to grey...IMO

Proper insurance will do very little for this business....as it only adds .05 to .08 a mile unto the cost per mile based on 100,000 miles a year....
so if they are running for .70 they might come up to .80....
Being negative all the time isn't the answer.Try thinking positive the rate may go up.Like you said this isn't a perfect world,but don't give up keep trying.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being negative all the time isn't the answer.Try thinking positive the rate may go up.Like you said this isn't a perfect world,but don't give up keep trying.
Negative? how about some reality and quit dreaming for the old days to come back...how about moving into 2015 and leave 2005 behind in history where it belongs....

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
Deadhead....you should be more worried about guys like me.....very low CPM with a 2nd income ...plenty of us around that doesn't need the big money to make a decent profit.....there is a move away from the bigger carriers for a good reason.....we want to use that low CPM to OUR advantage and not be overbid and lose loads and sit for days on end.....bigger carrier won't do that...they have profit margins themselves to contend with....
I'm not worried about a guy like you, I'm worried about a guy like ME.Maybe you live in truck,may your not married,maybe your truck paid for,maybe you bury your money in tin can in a roadside park.I'm glad you have another income in the case you need it if your rate per mile goes down.What does all this have to do with others working in this Industry, this not about you.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not worried about a guy like you, I'm worried about a guy like ME.Maybe you live in truck,may your not married,maybe your truck paid for,maybe you bury your money in tin can in a roadside park.I'm glad you have another income in the case you need it if your rate per mile goes down.What does all this have to do with others working in this Industry, this not about you.
there is quite a few like me....

so youll take pictures of ALL old vans????or just the ones YOU suspect of being whatever....and expect police action based on a pic of maybe an overloaded van which might be unsafe?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Okay 2015 is the year we all lay down and roll over. Move over Rover.
I get your frustration and desire to do "something, anything" on this issue. Some of us realize that as O/Os we are limited in what we can do to effect this situation. What John, Mike and Steve are doing is what will truly have some effect. They're respected, smart guys with some serious clout. I'm happy that they have our backs on this and I can do my part by being a competent O/O that provides good service. I've found that getting all wound up about things I can't do much about tends to not be very productive. Seriously... I just don't see Steve Croft wanting to ambush a guy in a Penske truck anytime soon...

Last edited:

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
there is quite a few like me....

so youll take pictures of ALL old vans????or just the ones YOU suspect of being whatever....and expect police action based on a pic of maybe an overloaded van which might be unsafe?
Gee I hope I don't have yours.What your lic plate #? LoL, Remember you get out of life what you put in it.If you don't put anything in, don't expect anything back. The photos are show them what they should be looking for since they can't seem to see them drive by.Who knows maybe some have wants and warrants outstanding and maybe they need to make a few more bust for the month.Did you retire from GM?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I think everyone can play a role even if it is a small one. I think educating other owner operators on the risk and personal risk of running improperly insured is a step. Many know what they are doing wrong, but I think some believe what a rogue carrier tells them. They may direct them to a certain agent that knows exactly what they are doing or they are dealing with an agent that does not understand trucking and is not properly insuring them. More and more carriers are talking about this topic as well as brokers and 3pls. Educating them is another step on our side. Every bit does count.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gee I hope I don't have yours.What your lic plate #? LoL, Remember you get out of life what you put in it.If you don't put anything in, don't expect anything back. The photos are show them what they should be looking for since they can't seem to see them drive by.Who knows maybe some have wants and warrants outstanding and maybe they need to make a few more bust for the month.Did you retire from GM?
no but IF you take my picture without my permission and make assumed accusations, I'll get my lawyer on your butt so fast.... you won't own a fork to eat your food with let alone a plate to put it on....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think everyone can play a role even if it is a small one. I think educating other owner operators on the risk and personal risk of running improperly insured is a step. Many know what they are doing wrong, but I think some believe what a rogue carrier tells them. They may direct them to a certain agent that knows exactly what they are doing or they are dealing with an agent that does not understand trucking and is not properly insuring them. More and more carriers are talking about this topic as well as brokers and 3pls. Educating them is another step on our side. Every bit does count.

yes education and keep beating the point home...taking indiscriminate pictures and making assumptions and unproven accusations that could make an honest fella's life miserable is not the way to go...